Coral Vue Hydros

koden's 32gallon m-tank

kinetic

about 1 month before the tank is going to be broken down =(

It's an awesome tank though. I may consider keeping it for the sake of the flame angel and maybe a cool angler (small enough so it won't eat the flame), drilling it to hookup with my larger system. We'll see =)

You should keep it around as a quarantine tank, or maybe a zoa garden- I always thought it would be cool to absolutely cover every rock in the tank with all dofferent zoas- it would be a whole new style. Maybe even catch on and someone would start a zoa garden forum...who knows...

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah... was hoping to make back some money by selling it. My electricity bill will be crazy if I keep this many tanks.

my small pico tank is going to be a zoo / clove garden. (check my sig).

This one isn't good enough, needs a better skimmer =(

Sea_Of_Treachery

koden, hows the skimmer working out for ya? i may do a 20 or 32 m tank, just wanted to see how good the skimmer is.

some have had good success, I did have some success earlier, but then it started overflowing on me. I believe it was my pump that is dirty. So I'll probably have to clean out the pump.

it's not a bad skimmer =)

Hi koden - your tank looks awsome. I just bought a 32g m-tank and it came with a skimmer, 2 motors, a filter, and a light. There is a part list for the skimmer with 9 lines of instruction, and also a parts list for the fiter and xl light. The short instructions are for the 20g tank (which is different). The person at finnex I talked with refered me to this web site. I haven't a clue how all this goes together, I thought I'd be getting some instructions. Where did you get your tank? And can you suggest any books that would help me. Thanks

koden's 32g m-tank

age.png

Current Pictures:

55watt Actinic PC, 70watt H.Q.I 14k Astralux Lamp w/ 70watt ARO Ballast

Before:

DSC_0004.jpg

5 months later:

nano_fts.jpg

Updated 10-09-05

Tank status: Fish with LR only for now

Water parameters:

• ph 8.2
    ammonia 0ppm
    nitrite 0ppm
    nitrate 0ppm
    temperature 78*F
    salinity 1.023

Comments: Only 30lbs of live rock, and about .5" of live sand. Finished cycling about a week ago, added a pair of A.ocellaris (false percula) clown fish, a skunk cleaner fish, and 6 trochus snails. Trochus are hard at work cleaning up all my algae! One even perched on top of my clam.

Stock: 2x A. Ocellaris, 1x skunk cleaner shrimp, 1x clam, 6x trochus snails, 1x grazer hithchiker snail

Schedule / Todo

• Week 0: Cycle LS / LR
    Week 1: Setup tank, Install Quiet One 3000, Skimmer, Jager heater, coralife thermometer, compare display temp against sump temp (results: the same!), remove two trays, add microfiber / sponge
    Week 2: LS / LR + NSW
    Week 3: R2 Moonlight Retrofit, Adjust Skimmer, 70 watt HQI Metal Halide Retrofit
    Week 4: SCWD Installation, Spray Bar Installation
    Week 5: Fabricate and install Fuge, Replace Coarse Sponge with Carbon

Monthly: clean sump, tank, clean pump impellers, skimmer, replace carbon, clean micro sponge.
    Weekly: 10% water change, test water parameters
    Daily: Feed fish, top off with RO water, use damp towel to clean around tank for salt creep

Equipment

DSC_0001.jpg

32 Gallon Finnex Acrylic M-Tank
o Style & material: Bow front, built-in protein skimmer chamber and filtration chamber, 1/4" cell cast acrylic
o Capacity & dimension: 32 gallon, 30"L x 16"W x 18"H

Protein skimmer:
DSC_0010a.jpg
o Type and rating: Venturi-driven, rated 75 gallon
o Power head: 312 gph, ETL listed, with 18 blades impeller

Filtration:
DSC_0027.jpg
o Type: Built-in wet/dry filter
o Rain trays: 2 layers of rain tray dripping system
o Filtration material: Micro sponge, Carbon

Water return pump:
DSC_0025.jpg
Quiet One 3000 + SCWD
The Quiet One Submersible Lifegard Pump can be used in both aquariums and fountains, in dry or wet applications. High quality, corrosion resistant ceramic bearings ensure quiet operation. Innovative cooling chambers provide air-cooling during dry use and water-cooling in wet. Can be used in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. 120 volt, 40 watt. Pumps 780 gallons per hour. Max height is 10.5 feet. 6 foot cord.
SCWD uses the pump to create bi-directional water movement in your reef aquarium. Plumbed inline, SCWD directs incoming water to two alternating outputs, switching automatically at a rate depending on incoming pressure. It delivers quiet, smooth operation, and is clog-resistant. Features low back pressure so there’s no strain on your existing water pump, making SCWD the most energy efficient wavemaker available. Use with system pumps from 50-1,400 gph and maximum 5 psi. Completely waterproof; mount internally or externally for a wide variety of configurations. 4-1/2" x 5" x 2-3/4" deep. Uses 3/4" tubing. Use clamps to keep tubing in place (stainless steel for external locations; plastic for internal.)

Lighting:
Finnex XL-3055
Dimensions: 29" x 8 2/3" x 3 1/4"
# Electronic ballast
# Humidity resistant fan
# Aluminum hood with corrosion resistant powder coated finish
# Polished aluminum reflector
# Moisture resistant UV filtration lens
# Independant power control switches
# Adjustable fixture stands
Bulbs: 1x55 watt Actinic Blue
MH: 70watt HQI w/ 14k astralux bulb retrofit into area where the 55watt daylight pc bulb was. (with uv tempered glass).

Heater:
Ebo Jager 150watt 13\" Heater
.5 f accuracy
Pyrex glass construction
Completely waterproof
Set to 80 degrees farenheight
Test Kit:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit
Tests include: high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Kit features complete testing instructions, 4 test tubes, a waterproof holding tray for testing bottles, and test tube rack.

Salinity: SeaTest Hydrometer

Thermometer:
See Alerts picture for thermometer
Coralife Thermometer
Temperature ranges from -10 to +140 degrees Fahrenheit. Mounting suction cups and battery included. 39 inch long temperature probe cord. Reads in Celsius as well. (-23 to +60 degrees Celsius) Dimensions are 2.25" x 1.38" x .5".

Alerts:
DSC_0033.jpg
Seachem Ammonia Alert
Ammonia alert is an innovative color device for continuously detecting and monitoring toxic free ammonia. A sensor changes reversibly from yellow to green to blue, relative to the ammonia concentration. No test kits, chemicals, or procedures are needed. The device detects less than 0.05 mg/l (ppm) free ammonia and alerts you to the #1 killer before any sign of stress. It lasts over a year and replacement sensors are available. Marine or freshwater use.

Cleaners:
Mag Float Medium Acrylic Cleaner
he unique floating technology of the mag-float makes it float to the waters surface. The mag-float 130a is good for acrylic tank thickness of 3/8" or 10 mm.

Plumbing:
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
quiet one 3000 pump to 1/2" stock pipe to clear the filters.
SCWD attached to return and shoots out on both sides of tank.

Water: Instant Ocean w/ RO water

Live Stock

• 30lbs Live Rock
    8lbs Live Sand (.5" sand bed)

2x Percula Clowns
    1x Randall's Goby (orange stripe prawn goby?)
    1x Flame Angel

1x Skunk Shrimp
    12x Scarlet Hermits
    3x Zebra Turbo Snails
    12x Trochus Snails

LPS on bottom of tank
    SPS on top of tank

Modifications

check page 2 for pictures etc

• Replace stock return pump with Quiet One 3000 (780GPH). DONE!
Setup SCWD attached to return pipe, then out to two flaired nozzles on two upper far corners.
Retrofit 70watt HQI metal halide. Replace the 55watt daylight bulb with this.
Retrofit R2 Moonlight ( 5 LED moonlight ) next to actinic blue bulb.
Create a fuge out of a container w/ aquaclear 10 (80gph) powerhead.
Add 150watt Ebo Jager heater to skimmer compartment. done
Corallife Thermometer probe inside display tank. done

Did you talk to Ken over at finnex? He's usually extremely helpful.

Which components do you need instructions for, or do you need a breakdown of how to setup the whole thing? Let me know, I'd be more than happy to help you out!

• 2 weeks later...

At 6 months, my tank is looking really cool! It's so well established now, everything is thriving and working like clockwork. No Skimmer either.

The water is a bit dusty, but everything is doing well anyway. I'm sure my flame scallops love it. I've had them for about 2 months now w/o a problem.

The emerald crab is still gigantic, and I'm feeding it an algae wafer a day now.

No more flame angel incidents, and the clownfish are still very unaggressive and have not found a host.

Overall I'm very happy, and will be sad to break down the tank. Still won't be for another 2 months at least though =)

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Fragged the huge bright green acro colony I had into a dozen 1/2" - 1" frag pieces. They all have great polyp extension, and no more tissue necrosis! I'm happy to say these pieces are starting to grow too.

My emerald crab ate a SUPER bright orange zoanthid I had, it was a day old and he ate it. That thing cost $10 / polyp, and he ate two. UGH.

My pederson's shrimp I think is long gone. No remains, but he was invisible to start with.

My high fin goby dissapeared, he was chased around by the emerald crab, then dissapeared. I haven't seen him in a week.

My randalli goby ended up on the opposite corner of the tank one day, he looked fat and healthy, but freaked out. Wouldn't eat any food like usual. I haven't seen him in half a week now, and I can't find him nor the other goby.

I have some crazy growth in my SPS and hammer coral. The candy cane don't seem to be growing, but look very healthy.

Nothing else to report. Just waiting for the upgrade... but still keeping it clean and running =) I'm proud to say I've done a water change every single week since it has been running.

Mainframe562

That's great to hear. Glad you still have your tank up and running. Well i finally bought the Sunpod and it looks great on the tank. I'm planning on converting the back into a refugium. How would I go about doing that? Will I have to add a baffle on the left side right before the return pump?

To convert you'll need to keep your pump from getting any chaeto / sand / animals into it as much as possible. So a bit baffle from bottom to top of water level would be needed. Then maybe cut a trickle tray down to size and mount it there with a filter to further keep anything from getting to the return pump.

update

everything's going great. the tank is very stable and I haven't needed to do any changes. My yuma split 4 times already and is big as ever. I lost two gobies to my emerald crab, which I still have yet to capture. Going skimmerless still hasn't had any adverse affects.

Mainframe562

That emerald is giving you lots of trouble. I was thinking about getting one but from your experience, not a good idea. Yeah i'm going to ditch the skimmer also, I have a aqua C remora. I dont know if you noticed but i'm trying to sell it but no one will buy it. Might have to lower the price a bit. Cant wait to setup my tank. Just collecting everything I need before I add sand and rocks, and I will be building a stand. I noticed you change the stock return pump for a Quiet One. I might do the same as well.

Finally got a good tripod! Carbon Fiber Feisol Tripod System. It kicks ass so far =) these are just snapshots.

DSC_0005.jpg

armageddon_2_le_zoo.jpg

flame_scallop.jpg

kinda_pe.jpg

pedersonshrimp.jpg

pink_muffin_zoo.jpg

pink_rings.jpg

pink_zoos_2.jpg

yellowskirt_bluepurpcenter.jpg

yuma.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
VannReefer87

o no, i just put a little emerald in my tank :o BTW your tanks are awesome...I just started and I'm the same situation as you were....I'm really into cars. Will have an Audi S4 this time next year, and my friends think I'm crazy to have all of this money invested in fish. My tank is not nearly as nice as yours but its coming along. I did go with a lionfish tho...haha..will see how it works out...again, very nice tanks man.

o no, i just put a little emerald in my tank :o BTW your tanks are awesome...I just started and I'm the same situation as you were....I'm really into cars. Will have an Audi S4 this time next year, and my friends think I'm crazy to have all of this money invested in fish. My tank is not nearly as nice as yours but its coming along. I did go with a lionfish tho...haha..will see how it works out...again, very nice tanks man.

ah, I'd pull the emerald out if I were you.

but thanks for the comments, goodluck with your tank!

btw I love the s4. if I had the $$ I'd get one for sure...

I've got two emeralds, well, 1 1/2 really, one of the little buggers is missing a claw. So far they've been cool in my 30 gallon, but then I make sure they have enough to eat also. They have coraline growing on their backs!

Glad to see your tank doing so nicely! That's great! I'm contemplating going skimmerless also. It's making more noise than I'd like. And I think the sponge I have in there is trapping a good portion of stuff, as well as the white filter pad. I change 5 gal once a week, and also clean the sponge at the same time, so the goop in the skimmer isn't near as dark as it used to be when I wasn't using the sponge/filter pad. Hmmm, decisions, decisions....

emeralds are hard to feed. first, they don't eat a lot at a time, so you need to feed them at least three times a day to keep them well fed by hand feeding. If there is a TON of bubble algae etc, then you're all set. But I think mine is too large for my system, and had to grub on some fish as well.

is there more than 1 kind of emerald crab? I think mine might be that 1 kind that eats fish and corals. It's back legs are hairy... is that usual for emeralds?

Is there more than 1 kind of emerald crab? I think mine might be that 1 kind that eats fish and corals. It's back legs are hairy... is that usual for emeralds?

Hmm, I don't know. Mine both have the hairy back legs also. The one-armed emerald is more agressive than the other one. Go figure...

Hmm, I don't know. Mine both have the hairy back legs also. The one-armed emerald is more agressive than the other one. Go figure...

With my luck I think I just have a crazy crab =(

I'll probably toss him into the fuge of my next tank once it's running. I should put a non-reef safe tank up with my emerald and flame angel =)

• 1 month later...

Guys, first of all great topic

I came to US from Poland, always have dreamed about saltwater tank, and finally dream is coming true!!!

In 3 weeks I am moving to bigger apartment and I am definitelly gonna buy 32 g M-Tank (bigger tank in few years... I hope). I have few question and I hope somebody will be able to help me out:

1. I would like to have about 1-1.5" of sand, how much do I have to buy? 20-25lbs? Also what about mixing (about 10%) pink sand with crushed coral?

2. I was thinking about buying some staff through internet, like fish and corals together (less for shipping if bought together), and my question is: Is it good idea to put almost in the some time 2-3 corals and for example one fish? I already know (wow:)) that fish I should put only one in like few weeks, what about corals?

3. About that sand, did any of you put sand under the rocks? I heard it could cause some problems in future, like some bacterias and poisoning the water (no circulating), true?

4. When will I recive my live rock, first water to tank or first sand and rock then water? And what about uncurring? If I will buy precured LR can I just put it the tank or still uncurring in some backets?

When I will have another question I will simple ask, hope somebody will help me, and won't laugh, newbie :) I have no idea why, but people ot that board are much more friendly (reading that MS the last week or so) then on only one polish marine forum...

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, still learning...

Guys, first of all great topic

I came to US from Poland, always have dreamed about saltwater tank, and finally dream is coming true!!!

Welcome to the US! I visited Poland last year on vacation and had a ton of fun!

1. I would like to have about 1-1.5" of sand, how much do I have to buy? 20-25lbs? Also what about mixing (about 10%) pink sand with crushed coral?
I think 20-25lbs would be more than enough. 15lbs should be fine. Check reefcentral.com's main page, they have a sand bed calculator, but 15lbs and you'll be good to go.

2. I was thinking about buying some staff through internet, like fish and corals together (less for shipping if bought together), and my question is: Is it good idea to put almost in the some time 2-3 corals and for example one fish? I already know (wow:)) that fish I should put only one in like few weeks, what about corals?
I would only put one fish in per week or two weeks. bio filtration needs to catchup. Corals I'd wait until all the fish are introduced and the tank is well matured. I'd wait 4 - 5 weeks before adding any fish, then a month or two more before adding corals. One fish at a time.
3. About that sand, did any of you put sand under the rocks? I heard it could cause some problems in future, like some bacterias and poisoning the water (no circulating), true?
sand will get under the rocks somehow. Make sure you have a lot of flow and you'll be fine.
4. When will I recive my live rock, first water to tank or first sand and rock then water? And what about uncurring? If I will buy precured LR can I just put it the tank or still uncurring in some backets?
Rock -> sand -> water. buy precured LR and then wait about a month and after testing nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia to add any livestock at all.
When I will have another question I will simple ask, hope somebody will help me, and won't laugh, newbie :) I have no idea why, but people ot that board are much more friendly (reading that MS the last week or so) then on only one polish marine forum...

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, still learning...

hope that helps!

Perfect

Thanks for replies.

Another question, how many gallons of water would you suggest to change like every 2 weeks? Every 2 weeks is enough or every week is better?

ps-where exactly had you been in Poland?

I am from north (3cities, Gdansk-Sopot-Gdynia) of Poland

Perfect

Thanks for replies.

Another question, how many gallons of water would you suggest to change like every 2 weeks? Every 2 weeks is enough or every week is better?

I change about 6 gallons of water every week. But that's just me. I don't run any filtration other than bio filtration.
ps-where exactly had you been in Poland?

I am from north (3cities, Gdansk-Sopot-Gdynia) of Poland

I visited warsaw and some other cities I don't remember =( It's all a blur of where I went.

Archived