Innovative Marine Aquariums

koden's 32gallon m-tank

kinetic

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That flame is beautiful, how is something so beautiful such a ###### to get rid of

it is definately beautiful. I like his personality too. He doesn't bother the other fish anymore like he used to. He's a bit scared of the randalli goby's eye spot too, haha.

I really am reconsidering getting rid of him. He doesn't touch any other corals. This is what I need to decide:

SPS or Flame

One or the other.

For now I'll stick with the flame. Once I get my 82 gallon, I'll find the flame angel a good home in a FOWLR tank, or someone's tank with only softies / LPS

More xenia shots!

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

A new mushroom I got today:

DSC_0009.jpg

A totally albino looking hammer coral I got today as well

DSC_0013.jpg

Some crazy zoos. Anyone want a trade? I don't really like them (the yellow ones)

DSC_0014.jpg

A totally albino looking hammer coral I got today as well

DSC_0013.jpg

Albino hammer? The zoos have been all ejected. I'd keep an eye on this one as you nurse it back to health...

Everything else looks like it is coming along nicely.

Albino hammer? The zoos have been all ejected. I'd keep an eye on this one as you nurse it back to health...

Everything else looks like it is coming along nicely.

do you think it's bleached? It's not completely clear. It has a really light blue powder on it's surface. Darn, I paid for that thing. It looks really cool, and looks like it's opening up really big.

strange, not sure why it would expell all it's zooxanthellae. it was in a nice prop tank next to other hammers which were green like my other one.

Well I was curious and the neat blue florescent it gives off is kind of neat. Maybe it'll do well that color.

I'll keep you guys updated.

the hammer is somehow gaining back some zoxanthellae!? How? Maybe the brain coral or other corals have expelled some. But it's starting to get a greener HUE! So cool =) I guess it was bleached.

After I take my LSAT's, I'm going to do some heavy modifications to my tank. This includes drilling the trickle trays with larger holes for the return pump, adding back the two top trickle trays and putting my activated carbon / phosphate absorbing media. I will fill the water all the way up to the second to last trickle tray, submerging the last two. This will increase my water volume by almost 2 gallons, I think.

I'm going to modify the first chamber to be half fuge, half skimmer/heater. I'm putting up a wall made half of plastic, half of eggcrate. The bottom will have a 1" sand bed, 2 nassarius snails, and one small scarlet hermit. I'll also stick a ball of chaeto in there. That should do it =)

This will happen late december! I'll also be hard at work on my next 82 gallon tank ;) checkout the link if you haven't already.

the hammer is somehow gaining back some zoxanthellae!? How? Maybe the brain coral or other corals have expelled some. But it's starting to get a greener HUE! So cool =) I guess it was bleached.

It'll gain the zooxanthellae back. It might of not acclimated to the lights at the LFS very well and expelled its zooxanthellae. Had it happen to some shrooms on my wife's life rock. It takes a while, but if everything is in good order in your tank there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck on your LSATs. What type of law do you plan on practicing?

It'll gain the zooxanthellae back. It might of not acclimated to the lights at the LFS very well and expelled its zooxanthellae. Had it happen to some shrooms on my wife's life rock. It takes a while, but if everything is in good order in your tank there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck on your LSATs. What type of law do you plan on practicing?

thanks for the encouragement! i'll keep you updated on the zooxanthellae =)

I'm planning on Intellectual Property / Patent law.

I'm currently a software engineer at network security company, with a B.S. in computer science. Cubes suck! (well... at least they done crack... lol)

thanks for the encouragement! i'll keep you updated on the zooxanthellae =)

I'm planning on Intellectual Property / Patent law.

I'm currently a software engineer at network security company, with a B.S. in computer science. Cubes suck! (well... at least they done crack... lol)

Cool deal. I had some friends that worked at the patent office in Virginia. They had the life, all I ever saw them do was play golf. So cool choice. My wife by the way is a corporate lawyer, with an emphasis in securities presently, got her SJD 3 months ago, I'm so proud of that girl.

Tell me about life in a cube. It is a modern torture device. I currently work for a software company as a tier 3 support tech. My cube looks like a server room exploded. Wish I had an office so I could put a pico somewhere in it. Funny thing is I wanted to get into the field you are in, I was working on a CISSP. Now, I've relegated to possibly taking over my parent's business, so they can retire.

Just fed my corals again. Instead of flakes and brine, I decided to feed them chunks of formula one frozen food.

I cut up a cube into three pieces, they're pretty big. Turned off the pumps about 2 hours after the lights all went out. And using prongs (eheim rocks) I placed a chunk of the cube into the two heads of my candy cane, and one chunk into my open brain.

They swelled up like I've never seen! Moreso than just flake and brine.

That should be a feast for them, happy thanksgiving to my corals!

btw, do hammer corals eat? I never see any tentacles coming from them.

First couple shots are with 70watt hqi 14000K and a 55watt actinic PC

My Emerald:

DSC_0005.jpg

Look closely, my flame angel looks like it's giving the randalli a kiss. But it was eating some algae or something off substrate. This randalli is BOLD! It's not afraid of anything. Only time it goes into the cave is at night to sleep

DSC_0012.jpg

Here the randalli is getting ready for bed. On the left is my candy cane. Should be deep purple with teal centers, but my MH is keeping it from being purple. I might stick it into the cave in a couple weeks to see if it gets better.

DSC_0014.jpg

Here's with just the 55watt Actinic PC on. Notice the goby is gone, now to sleep. The candy cane is really florescent!:

DSC_0028.jpg

My hammer and cerith snail:

DSC_0029.jpg

:) Hey Btw. Nice Setup I'm considering that DIY mini Fuge.

But also I have a Question?!

Those 2 clown fish are they a mated pair? or did you buy seprately.

I'm considering Buying a Mated pair of True percular clown fish. Was wondering how they do.

I'm buying mine from www.marinedepotlive.com

Along with either a long tentacle anemone or a sebea anemone

:) Hey Btw. Nice Setup I'm considering that DIY mini Fuge.

But also I have a Question?!

Those 2 clown fish are they a mated pair? or did you buy seprately.

I'm considering Buying a Mated pair of True percular clown fish. Was wondering how they do.

I'm buying mine from www.marinedepotlive.com

Along with either a long tentacle anemone or a sebea anemone

Thanks for the comment!

They were a mated pair when I bought them. The smaller was a little under an inch long, the larger was about an inch.5 long.

If you buy the maited pair they'll do really great! They are happy alone as well, but it's 100 times as cool of a fish if you have them as a mated pair as they interact with each other.

anemone, I don't have, nor do I think I ever will. They're messy, need pristine water conditions, move around and can kill other corals =( Plus my clowns are happy hosting the corner of the tank =)

you should keep a journal too so we can follow!

Hey Koden,

I'm picking up a 30 gallon cube (24x18.5x??) tank by Jalli tonight. It looks like has the same back filtration scheme as the M-tank. Got any recent pics of the back of your tank so I can learn from your efforts?!? :-)

I'm going to add a SQWD straight out the gate, and put in two 1/2" bulkheads. I'll swap out the pump later. I'm also going to drill the 8 - 3/16" holes in the initial chamber. This tank has an open top with the lights (2 - 2x55w jalli light fixture) on legs, similar to the M-Tank. And there is lots of room in the light fixture for mods! Still haven't decided between MH's or T5's. After the new year for that though.

Anyway, I like what you've done with your M-Tank. Thanks for documenting your progress/mods/thoughts. It's helped a lot!

Scott

hi scott! where did you get the jalli tank? I heard rumors of it, but never found a website / picture of them. Looks exciting. Post some pix for us to see =)

I will take a picture for you soon!

I will be adding some new plumbing to my tank in effort to kill a "dead spot". I'll probably throw on all those mods into this thread soon.

I'm getting the tank from a LFS (Far West in Murrieta, CA). He goes up to LA on Mondays, and ensured me he'd get one for me today. I couldn't find any information on them either. I even called Jallicorp and the guy that answered the phone didn't know anything. Doohhh! I'll start a thread and post pics when I get it, which should be tonight!

hi scott! where did you get the jalli tank? I heard rumors of it, but never found a website / picture of them. Looks exciting. Post some pix for us to see =)

I will take a picture for you soon!

I will be adding some new plumbing to my tank in effort to kill a "dead spot". I'll probably throw on all those mods into this thread soon.

...and get mantis shrimp thrown into their FO tanks.

saw that in the makeshift lounge, thats fuggin hilarious. I laffed so hard I almost choked on my epiglottis...back to studying. Cant wait for the pics

Cool new events:

My flame angel is going to stay until the new tank is setup. It's just too beautiful and fun to watch. It doesn't eat the acropora sp. that I have. It actually jumped in the strawberry basket to eat algae and jumped back out. The acro crab likes to stick his claws out at the fish.

The randalli goby has made the blackray's home, his own home. Moving in caused a lot of ruckus fromt he blackray. The blackray would constantly have his jaw gaping wide open, while the randalli scooted next to him in the tunnel. It's adorable seeing them cuddling. The randalli has no problem living there with the blackray, but the blackray is a bit offended by the intruder. Usually the randalli goby sits outside of the cave, but at night he goes inside to sleep. Now I see the blackray peacefully sharing the hole. He doesn't really mind the randalli anymore. Cool huh?

The two ocellaris have adopted a new corner of the tank, and have made the magfloat their host. They both wiggle against it like it's an anemone. funny =)

Finally got a snapshot of my blackray! beautiful guy. he was complaining about all the nassarius snails that started bombarding his home. I spot fed him some brine and flake, and the nass went crazy. He just opens his mouth real big. This is the dusk time, so only actinic is on, sorry about the crappy pick, but maybe next time I can catch him and the randalli chilling together.

DSC_0004.jpg

Archived