Innovative Marine Aquariums

koden's 32gallon m-tank

kinetic

3) the skimmer has a different pump (I believe), an 800 and a return pump marked 1300a (not sure if these are the same or different)...

These are the same pumps that came with a 30g Jalli (or ASM) tank I bought. I put a RIO 2100 for the main return, and the 1300 for the skimmer. The 2100 is really too much flow for the tank to handle, it is almost overflowing the main wall dividing the display and back chambers, which means I've got a throttled back a bit at present.

I am going to divert some flow from the 2100 to power the skimmer by drilling a hole through the bulkhead, and installing a nifty flow diverter, as well as a venturi air bubble maker to the skimmer. If it all works according to plan, this will enable me to run the tank all from the 2100, making a quiet tank. The 1300 pump is too much of a noisemaker, and I'm only running it at night, with the door closed.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
two tips of my acropora started to STN. I cut the tips off to stop the STN. I believe it's because I have too much of a laminar flow hitting it. I will be, however, installing a SEIO 620 tonight.

I will be trying chemi-clean soon. Anyone have any experience with chemi-clean?

The SEIO 620.... Is really really big in the M-tank. Think Quiet One 3000 pump size. I yanked mine, its a nice saltwater mixer power head now. Post some pics on how it looks in your tank.

I'm using Purigen. I believe chemi-clean is kind of like an antibiotic. It might kill some of the beneficial bacteria as well as the red slime, cyano.

If you are having cyano problems read this thread on reef central.Reef central link.

Koden, I have been reading all of yout posts here today and it has been fascinating.

I bought an Aquapod 12 right before Xmas and the LFS told me I can upgrade to the 24 WHEN THEY COME IN.

I thought about the M 32 and nowhere do I see you express a need for a chiller, even with the MH. Why is this?

Thank you

Hey Koden, thanks for all the info and updates in this journal- I just got a 32g m-tank for Christmas and this has been a sweet source of info and ideas.

awesome! congratz on the new tank, glad this thread is giving you good ideas =)

This is my first marine tank since I was a teenager, you should have seen me looking at all the parts from the protein skimmer with a puzzled look on my face! I ended up checking out the web for some good pics.

I definately feel you. This was also my first tank since my crappy freshwater I had in elementary school

I've been really surprised at the quality of the Finnex tanks, well thought out and very adequate parts. Like you, I've upgraded the return pump and I plan on using the stock pump as a powerhead in the viewing tank.

They do have really great quality! I totally agree. Good work on upgrading the pump. What did you end up using?

Also, there have been a few changes in the stock m-tanks, thought they might interest you:

1) the overflow has been adjusted with 8 drilled holes (looks like 1/4 or 3/16) in the lower left corner entering the skimmer chamber...

2) the rear chambers have changed dimensions, the first chamber (skimmer) is now 10", the middle baffle is 2", and then the return chamber is 18"! So the lift tube from the return pump doesn't actually pass through the rain trays anymore (though they still have holes for them), it sits next to the trays. This seems pretty cool for the larger pump sizes, but now the fuge idea becomes a little more difficult- I'm thinking of just adding some acrylic and making it permanent, then shortening the trays and attaching them to an overflow from the fuge...

3) the skimmer has a different pump (I believe), an 800 and a return pump marked 1300a (not sure if these are the same or different)...

That's awesome! They definately did some good work to improve the tank. I'm jealous! Wish I had gotten that one.

These are the same pumps that came with a 30g Jalli (or ASM) tank I bought. I put a RIO 2100 for the main return, and the 1300 for the skimmer. The 2100 is really too much flow for the tank to handle, it is almost overflowing the main wall dividing the display and back chambers, which means I've got a throttled back a bit at present.

Low flow going through the sump is fine. But I have more than 1400gph of total flow in my tank and still want more, so you should consider throwing in a couple nice powerheads inside.

I am going to divert some flow from the 2100 to power the skimmer by drilling a hole through the bulkhead, and installing a nifty flow diverter, as well as a venturi air bubble maker to the skimmer. If it all works according to plan, this will enable me to run the tank all from the 2100, making a quiet tank. The 1300 pump is too much of a noisemaker, and I'm only running it at night, with the door closed.
You could probably invest in a quieter pump? They're really not too expensive. Go grab a maxijet 1200 =)

goodluck!

The SEIO 620.... Is really really big in the M-tank. Think Quiet One 3000 pump size. I yanked mine, its a nice saltwater mixer power head now. Post some pics on how it looks in your tank.

It definately is a hunker. Looks gigantic in my tank, and is the only pump I can't hide behind rocks =( It creates awesome turbulence though. I'm not sure whether I should keep it or not. What draws little power and outputs little heat like the seio with such big flow?

I'm using Purigen. I believe chemi-clean is kind of like an antibiotic. It might kill some of the beneficial bacteria as well as the red slime, cyano.

That is good to know. What is purigen?

If you are having cyano problems read this thread on reef central.Reef central link.

Thanks!

Koden, I have been reading all of yout posts here today and it has been fascinating.

I bought an Aquapod 12 right before Xmas and the LFS told me I can upgrade to the 24 WHEN THEY COME IN.

Congratz on the aquapod 12. I think you should hold off on setting it up and wait for the 24g. Upgrading is difficult, and waiting and planning your next 24g would be better. Plus I know a couple people who've already had their 24g's shipped.

I thought about the M 32 and nowhere do I see you express a need for a chiller, even with the MH. Why is this?

I never need a chiller, somehow my temperature stays pretty low, even over the summer. I use a quiet one 3000 pump for my return, a seio 620 for some water movement, a maxijet 600 for a spray bar, 70w metal halide, etc. Over the summer temperatures reached 80 degrees in my tank, and I put a small desk fan to blow water over the surface. This brought the temp down about 2 degrees!! Now I have it running whenever the lights are on, and it keeps things at a constant temp now.

goodluck!

Koden thank you.

I bought my Aquapod 12 with LFS reef water, live rock and live sand and several corals AS IS. I had it set up on Christmas Eve. I knew immediately I wanted the 24. So when the 24 comes I will transfer everything.

I should also mention that I have both a 210 and a 180 FO systems. I will eventually convert one to a reef as I can see where all this is going.

Right now I am learning about reefs on a small scale. I want to go slow and learn about these animals.

Oh and by the way to anyone out there: The temp in my aquapod goes up to 85.6 during the day, even with the feeding lid open. At night it cools to 78. I know this is not a good thing and am hoping that the 24 will be a bit more stable.

Thanks again Kodan.

Koden thank you.

I bought my Aquapod 12 with LFS reef water, live rock and live sand and several corals AS IS. I had it set up on Christmas Eve. I knew immediately I wanted the 24. So when the 24 comes I will transfer everything.

I should also mention that I have both a 210 and a 180 FO systems. I will eventually convert one to a reef as I can see where all this is going.

Right now I am learning about reefs on a small scale. I want to go slow and learn about these animals.

Oh and by the way to anyone out there: The temp in my aquapod goes up to 85.6 during the day, even with the feeding lid open. At night it cools to 78. I know this is not a good thing and am hoping that the 24 will be a bit more stable.

Thanks again Kodan.

85.6 is way too hot! very few animals will live through that, especially with the temperature swing from 78 to 85.6. My tank only swings about .6 degrees on the most extreme of days. What turns on that makes it so hot? The lighting? Do you turn on your heater in the daytime for the house? Definately put a fan on the tank and connect it to a timer to turn on, or get a temperature controller. There are inexpensive chillers too, like the ICEPROBE for smaller tanks.

goodluck

Well it turns out that the Aquapod 12 is not wired correctly and cannot be used on any sort of timer. I also got a shock from a plug that wasn't plugged in!

I called the LFS and am returning this item.

I then ordered the mtank (32 gallons) Your thread was awesome and I am going to read it again.

My tank should be here by the end of the week. Got to build the stand and do a transfer.

Sorry to hear about the aquapod. But the m-tank purchase sounds really exciting =) You'll have 8 more gallons! (the total water volume if all chambers filled to the top is actually 37 gallons!! )

keep us updated.

My yuma opened all the way is now 3.5" in diameter o.O

Dude, is this the same yuma that you got from me or did you get a new one?

Dude, is this the same yuma that you got from me or did you get a new one?

It's the same one!! It's absolutely beautiful! It's sooooo BIG! It used to not be that large, but ever since I pushed it into a little shade, it's opened up very large. The colors also deepened.

I had it under direct metal halide for awhile, and the colors started to get lighter, so I stuck it sort of in a shaded area, getting a little metal halide, but definately not direct.

The colors brightened up amazingly, and the yuma opens up to at least 3" in diameter now. It's amazing.

After I get my macro lens I'll start taking pix ;)

That sounds sweet. Amazing what a little adjustment can do for some corals :lol: I am glad the yuma is really blossoming for ya.

What kind of camera are you using and what macro lens will you be getting? I have a Canon Rebel XT and is seriously thinking about gettin a macro too.

That sounds sweet. Amazing what a little adjustment can do for some corals :lol: I am glad the yuma is really blossoming for ya.

What kind of camera are you using and what macro lens will you be getting? I have a Canon Rebel XT and is seriously thinking about gettin a macro too.

I have a Nikon D70, and the macro lens I'm trying to get is a Nikon 105mm / F2.8 AF Micro lens. It costs over $500 new, and I can't find any used ones (everyone seems to love them and keeps them. plus lenses kept in good condition never lose value, so it'd be just as expensive). I'm trying to find maybe a sigma or tamron that has similar specs. I know sigma has a 105mm for about $375.

I am also considering a 60mm, but still doing research on the 60mm to see how it compares to the 105mm. I'm not a pro, just like to photograph as a hobby as well, so not sure if I'll need a $500+ lens!

I know someone who uses a Pheonix 99mm which only cost him $100. So there are very cheap options. But you get what you pay for =)

They do have really great quality! I totally agree. Good work on upgrading the pump. What did you end up using?

I ended up getting the quiet one 3000, I saw its dimensions were just about perfect, and it seemed to work well for your tank. (I guess I ripped you off, but I figure it's better to learn from those who have already been there!) I was initially considering a mag but I hear they can be touch and go, great flow but they'll shake the room.

I'm happy with the quiet one, it has great flow and while I'm waiting on live rock I'm getting a pretty sweet ripple effect in the substrate. I went with the CaribSea Black Calcite (I saw it in George Goss' aquarium on the advanced aquarist website), and it looks great. I can't wait to see the color contrasts of the corals to the bottom.

The only challenges right now are getting the skimmer tuned just right (I'd like to not have a half cup of overflow each day), and steadying my temps. They're not swinging too bad (80-82), but I'd like to get them steady around 78. I think it's going to be a bit of a challenge since I live in south florida and it's like 82 degrees outside in the first week of January. Can't wait to see what happens when summer gets here, I'll be cranking the a/c.

I've taken a bunch of pics but I'm waiting for a solid block of time to crank out a journal. I'm also looking forward to checking out your 80 gal when you get it all posted.

I ended up getting the quiet one 3000, I saw its dimensions were just about perfect, and it seemed to work well for your tank. (I guess I ripped you off, but I figure it's better to learn from those who have already been there!) I was initially considering a mag but I hear they can be touch and go, great flow but they'll shake the room.

I'm happy with the quiet one, it has great flow and while I'm waiting on live rock I'm getting a pretty sweet ripple effect in the substrate. I went with the CaribSea Black Calcite (I saw it in George Goss' aquarium on the advanced aquarist website), and it looks great. I can't wait to see the color contrasts of the corals to the bottom.

The only challenges right now are getting the skimmer tuned just right (I'd like to not have a half cup of overflow each day), and steadying my temps. They're not swinging too bad (80-82), but I'd like to get them steady around 78. I think it's going to be a bit of a challenge since I live in south florida and it's like 82 degrees outside in the first week of January. Can't wait to see what happens when summer gets here, I'll be cranking the a/c.

I've taken a bunch of pics but I'm waiting for a solid block of time to crank out a journal. I'm also looking forward to checking out your 80 gal when you get it all posted.

I'm glad the quiet one is working out for you. It's dimensions are definately really great for the m-tanks.

black calcite! wow nice choice. not too common in todays tanks, but definately will contrast all your corals!

For your temperature problems, you could invest in a temperature controller (dual) to control your heater and a fan. My fan brings down the temp of my tank down by almost 3 degrees (in the winter) and the heaters kick in to compensate. my tank was at a constnat 80 degrees with only a .5 degree swing, and with the fan it's always around 78 degrees. At night when I have the fan off, it goes to 79 degrees. (no metal halides). I was planning on getting a temp controller as well to save electricity by eliminating the competition of the heaters with the fan. But I decided against it since my 82g is coming soon. For that tank I have an aquacontroller jr. w/ temp probe, which will control all 3 heaters, a surface fan, and even the metal halide (if it gets way too hot even with the fan on, the MH will turn off). I may even get a chiller down the line... There is a chiller called the ICEPROBE, pretty cheap but is geared towards smaller tanks like 24g. It could work =) It's basically a computer heatsink on a fan with water running through it. You could DIY I think.

I've never gotten the skimmer to be constant =( It's quite a pain and most of the time it doesn't skim at all. Everytime it turns off, I need to readjust it. And by the time I get it adjusted just right, it's time to turn it off again to empty the cup. I've given up on it =( My tank is doing fine without it for awhile now.

I feel bad because I've sort of stopped working on the 32g m-tank since I will be upgrading to the 82g. It is sort of done anyway. I'd only like to redo my custom fuge, and maybe add a temp controller. But hopefully what I have already will help =)

Projects to work on this week:

1. Get eggcrate and redo my refugium

2. Replace the venturi intake with a much longer intake tube to quiet the sound

3. Change 20% water

My redslime is almost gone. I had to resort to using chemi-clean. Nothing else worked, not even the seio 620.

Here's some pictures! First are a bunch of regular pictures, then you'll see some of the nicer close up ones. My Nikon d70 doesn't have a MACRO lens yet, but I will be getting a 105mm F2.8 soon!

Current 4 month full tank shot:

DSC_0002.jpg

Beautiful Flame Angel, completely LPS and Softie Safe. Will nip acropora, but will not kill it, in fact my small colony is thriving, but will totally mow over any kind of montipora. This flame will be for sale to a VERY GOOD home in about 2 months.

DSC_0004.jpg

Just a fun pic of my candy cane coral:

DSC_0008.jpg

Xenia going crazy. I have 2100gph of total flow now going through my 32 gallon tank ;)

DSC_0019.jpg

Another FTS:

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

My randalli goby and nassarius vibex snail

DSC_0028.jpg

Some crazy actinic shots

DSC_0056.jpg

actinicfts.jpg

my emerald's body is now the size of a quarter! it can probably eat a goby now...

emeraldactinic.jpg

And more actinic pictures, these have borders, lol:

Acropora in the center, xenia upper right, chalice to the right of acro:

acroporaxenia.jpg

blastomussa wellsi

blastowellsi.jpg

Open brain, cleaner shrimp, and randalli goby

openbrain.jpg

My favorite picture:

yuma.jpg

Crazy 3.5" diameter Yuma! It's shrunk down right now because it's "dusk" but during the day it's 3.5" in diamter. Crazy.. I got it about a month ago and it was only 2" in diameter.

Wow, that looks really beautiful, the tank is coming along really well. I dont know what to say but wow. What are some of the problems you are having now, or are you problem free now?

I'm mostly problem free. I have to fix a couple things though:

1. Eggcrate for the "fuge" for better nutrient absorbtion by the macro

2. Slight red algae problem I had before, but it's going away really well.

3. Have to increase the length of the air intake of the venturi skimmer to decrease noise

That's about it =)

Hey Koden - tank looking really nice. How about some pictures of your fuge in the back chamber and eggcrate?

My 32 M tank is cycling right now and I am thinking a using some of your ideas. (we're all here to share, right?)

Good luck man that is one sweet tank.

BTW, I called Chris at nano-customs- they are making a 70 watt MH twin bulb lighting system with moon lights. The lights are centered over the two open water areas, not the center brace. Sounds exciting. Should be avaiable soon.

Of course my lfs tells me you are asking for disaster combining MH with acrylic. He tells me it is a matter of time and he does know his s***.

Seems like there is a ton of acrylic tanks out there with MH.

Are you happy with you MH setup right now Koden? You're using a single 70W right?

Seems like the tank is doing well with that light setup :D

There are so many acrylic tanks out there, and a lot of people use MH these days. Sure they will warp and maybe discolor, but maybe only after 40 years?

I've had my MH for 4 months, and there's absolutely no warping / burning / discoloration on my center brace. It is a single 70watt hqi with a 14k astralux bulb.

My corals love it. At least the SPS do. My acropora colony has grown three new branches already! I just added three frags and another colony. All polyps are fully extended. They extended right away!

70watt is pretty good for my tank, I put all SPS up high. Any more and it'd be too hot for the lighting fixture probably with it having only 1 fan.

If I were to do it again, I would do dual 70watts over both openings of the top of the m-tank, and replace the stock fan with something bigger, and add another fan to the top.

Instead of straight up migrating this to the 82 gallon, I'm thinking of keeping it as a FOWLR aggressive. I will keep a lionfish, probably a zebra dwarf or maybe even something larger, and a leaf scorpionfish... I might leave my flame angel in there too, not sure if those two guys will eat him...

I'll leave a couple corals in there that the flame angel doesn't eat, and leave it with the 70watt hqi.

what do you guys think?

Man Koden your tank is awesome. That Flame Angel is awesome for like a FOWLR tank. I think I might get one when I get my 60g rolling man. Beautiful shots.

Archived