Cultivated Reef

koden's 32gallon m-tank

kinetic

yes, I have a 70watt hqi with 14K astralux bulb retrofitted. It is a small reflector with U.V. tempered glass, remote ARO ballast. It fits perfectly, after cutting some of the reflector up =)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, I have a 70watt hqi with 14K astralux bulb retrofitted. It is a small reflector with U.V. tempered glass, remote ARO ballast. It fits perfectly, after cutting some of the reflector up =)

finnex said they were coming out with a 30" MH canopy for the m-tank but i haven't seen it yet. Can you give me some details on that retrofit? what kit did you buy and how did you install?

Thanks.

finnex said they were coming out with a 30" MH canopy for the m-tank but i haven't seen it yet. Can you give me some details on that retrofit? what kit did you buy and how did you install?

Thanks.

I know it's hard to find the post about my retrofit, but it's all here on the 5th page I believe:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=619397

hope that helps!

Well here is my 32 M-tank. I have 6 seahorses, a mixture of shrimp and 1 royal gamma. There are purple and yellow gorgonians and some coral. Hope this works/post-17816-1138064949_thumb.jpg

I don't see anything. what kind of seahorses do you have? do you have a fuge to replenish pod populations for the seahorses? What kind of flow?

Ok, no pods, these horses 2 errectus, 2 redi, and 2 kuda were obtained from Dr. Mac @Pacific East. The are captive raised and already eat misis which I am enriching.

The flow is the standard pump for this tank, although I have one of those new vortex ones on order: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...products_id=422

I added some cheato to the back chamber tonight and some peppermint shrimp to the main tank- I have these glass anemonies sprouting up and hope the shrimp eat them.

I also added some more trees for hitching posts.

post-17816-1138065645_thumb.jpg

that's cool. you should probably also build up a good pod population. not too hard since you have chaeto in the back already. Put some sand back there too (fine sand) and dose with DT PHytoplankton. it'll kick zooplankton population up, thus pods will have more to eat, and then more pods = fatter seahorses.

Seahorses need very low flow, how much flow are you providing?

Well here is my 32 M-tank. I have 6 seahorses, a mixture of shrimp and 1 royal gamma. There are purple and yellow gorgonians and some coral. Hope this works/post-17816-1138064949_thumb.jpg

Man that's an awesome tank too dude.

Koden, I have ordered a 20G M-Tank from Chris (Nanotuners.com). What are the initial mods that you recommend me? I thin they both have the same pumps.

puppypr: upgrade the sump return, upgrade the light to 70watt hqi retrofit if you didn't get the hqi already from them. Then I'd put in a 100 watt Jager heater, make a fuge in the back, put in a spray bar, drill a second outlet for the sump return to have two outlets. that's about what I would do first. I would recommend modding it completely before adding any LR/LS water etc, Doing it later is impossible, and very regretful.

Update

My super cool cloves with green centers and orange branches survived! It rolled to the back of the tank and I couldn't find it for a day. After searching around, I located it, and with precision chopstick maneuvering, got it out. I've mounted it in a medium flow / high light area.

I have two flame scallops that somehow made their ways into the caves and upside down on the tops of the caves. No idea how they did that, but looks cool seeing some red tentacles coming from under the rocks in the caves. Quite amazing.

My micromussa turns out to be the wrong one, with 2 less polyps. Miguel from fragglereef who shipped them to me promptly refunded me, dissapointing though =( But the cloves and tonga red mushrooms are awesome.

I added DT's Phytoplankton, about 1.5 capfuls to the tank where there is high flow. I shook it vigerously as well before hand. Immediatly, EVERY POLYP in the entire tank opened up bigger than I've ever seen. My hammers opened up, all the zoanthids were bigger than I've ever seen them. All the SPS polyps opened as well! SO MUCH EXTENSION! I don't think they could be called SPS anymore =) My acropora's turned bushy. Amazing!! Truely amazing! It says it's recommended to feed every other day. I believe I will do this. Hopefully no algae bloom will come of this, but sure enough, bacteria and pods will increase, and it will die.

My gobies are hard to feed, but I don't spot feed them anymore. When they get hungry enough, they'll come out and chase for food =)

My flame angel has gotten very aggressive. It's funny, it'll go into one cave, zoom out and try to chase a clownfish. THe clownfish just get out of his way, and even fight back sometimes. The flame doesn't faze them. He does get spastic and go crazy all over the tank sometimes, no idea why. Eats well, is growing very nicely, and has beautiful colors. I went back to the LFS and asked where they had gotten him from, they said Christmas Islands. I think those are the best looking. He has few stripes, and where he does they are very straight and symmetrical. Awesome fish, hate to see him go. I believe he's found my xenia, since I've found one tree of the xenia missing heads etc. Oh well, at least he stopped nipping at my SPS.

I found a ton of eggs. No idea what they're from... I'll take pix soon. Some are on the back of the glass, little white dots. Some are small spirals on the rocks.

There are a couple baby snails that I've found lately. They look like baby trochus snails. If so, that's awesome! I love trochus snails.

My red slime algae is totaly gone, only a little hair algae on the tops of a couple rocks where the flow is too high for the emerald crab to get to. Otherwise my tank is really algae free almost =) I don't even have my refugium circulating with the main tank anymore! I don't even use my skimmer. It's permanently off.

I think the key to a successful tank is water changes. I haven't done anything special, just weekly water changes, every week. 5 gallons of Natural Sea Water a week. That's it! And my corals are great. Nothing has died in my tank, other than the mowed over digitata my flame ate, and one trochus snail. All my cerith, other trochus, astrae, nassarius, angel, gobies, clowns, corals, are all alive and well =)

I can't wait to get my 82g setup. Weekly water changes everyone! I believe that is the key.

more updates soon.

Well, for the lights, I’, planning to buy these ones, have good experience with Jebo/Odyssea. A 20” 175 MH 20000K with 2 24W actinics and 2 moonlights.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...PROD&ProdID=217

As for heater, I really don’t need them since I live in Puerto Rico, but I badly need a chiller. I’m going with an Ice Probe from Waterworks, it cost like $150 with the temperature controller included.

The 2 outlets that you are referring; they are powered with the same pump? One return to feed the spraybar and the other with a FLO rotating deflector?

Even though you're in puerto rico, it's a good idea to keep temperatures VERY stable... no more than a degree of fluctuation in a given day. So a heater is a must. The chiller might be a bit too weak for a 20 gallon. Look into that a bit more. I'd say get the chiller, and a dual temperature controller to turn your heater and chiller on and off.

goodluck

Instead of straight up migrating this to the 82 gallon, I'm thinking of keeping it as a FOWLR aggressive. I will keep a lionfish, probably a zebra dwarf or maybe even something larger, and a leaf scorpionfish... I might leave my flame angel in there too, not sure if those two guys will eat him...

I'll leave a couple corals in there that the flame angel doesn't eat, and leave it with the 70watt hqi.

what do you guys think?

I think you would be fine keeping your Flame Angel wth a dwarf lionfish. My friend kept a large lionfish for years together with a Flame. Remember that Flame Angels are pretty tough as well.

is it bad I had a dream that my flame angel died? and wasn't too sad about it?

ROFL, maybe...it depends on how expensive the flame was :lol:

$30 =)

the flame is doing well. hasn't picked my sps in a long time (as far as I've seen) and there's no slime on the acroporas anymore, meaning they're good to go. A lot of growth is going on with my oldest acropora, my newer SPS frags are still living with polyps extended like crazy.

My flame is pretty good right now, though I will still probably not keep him in my next tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's day two of playing with the lens. I've learned a couple things, and tried using a bigger aperture for more DOF.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

this is just to capture the DOF and texture, looks pretty good?

DSC_0018.jpg

Updated FTS:

nano_fts.jpg

Pumps full blast:

nano_fts2.jpg

about 1 month before the tank is going to be broken down =(

It's an awesome tank though. I may consider keeping it for the sake of the flame angel and maybe a cool angler (small enough so it won't eat the flame), drilling it to hookup with my larger system. We'll see =)

Archived