inTank Media Baskets

Reeferbarra's 120 Reef Adventure

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

Well, i just got my Current Nova Extremes,and well, they don't seem much brighter than PCS. I guess I'm just used to 250watt Meta Halides B)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Current USA T5s don't have individual reflectors, right?

I heard that's what makes or breaks T5 light output.

You should consider getting them.

reeferbarra20

Are you suggesting that I get individual reflectors from a DIY website and mod it?

If I were able to do that would it be difficult?

Yes. I don't think it would be that difficult, although I haven't done it myself.

I remember seeing someone either on this board or RC someone with a Nova extreme fixture with before and after pictures of having individual reflectors or not.

From what I also remember reading/hearing is that T5 output without individual reflectors is only about as powerful as PC lighting.

They are pretty expensive...

http://www.reefgeek.com./products/categori...ing/104052.html

Let me try to find that link to the thread.

reeferbarra20
Here's some info... although perhaps a little biased:

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/pro...ctcomparo.shtml

Here is one RC thread about T5s... it's a long read:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

I found the reflectors for a bit cheaper here:

http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/product...products_id=170

Thanks for the threads, I think i'll probably start on modding it once the semester is over :). I've got another question for you. I just got a Sequence Reeflo Dart external pump rated for 3600 gph and i was wondering if I could just get away with having a single intake hang over the lip of my tank, and just two or three returns w/o somthing like a sqwid or OM squirt. The Squirt costs $310 and the Sqwid can't handle my return

any idea on what I could do?

Well the SCWD and OM Squirt are rated for 1400gph and 1000gph approximately.

You could get an Oceans Motions 4 way or 8 way. They are heavier duty than the regular Squirt and SuperSquirt (2200gph rated).

As for a single intake... that may be difficult. I do know that a 1" HOT intake would be way too little...

Here are some pictures:

http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewtop...e16e75ca0568d06

That particular guy has a Dart too, and he has a 2" bulkhead pretty low in the tank which is bushing-ed down to a 1.5" pipe.

I think the large diameter and the lower placement (greater pressure) of the intake makes it able to handle the Dart's flow.

I know you don't want to drill your tank though.

reeferbarra20

I can't think of the last time I posted anything media wise , so heres a movie for the crowd!

please exuse the overall quality and the background noise, thanks--reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

Danskim-- The reeflo dart's intake is 2" ftp and return is 1.5" ftp. The problem is that it is rated for 3600gph. Is that overkill in a 120 or is that ok?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
reeferbarra20

Alrighty, I know I havent postes any fts of my tank nor posted and update in a very long time. Here is my current issue. I am assuming that my nitrates and phosphates are high due to the fact that my tank walls are literally covered with calcified diatoms. I know that there are several ways to fix my Nitrater/Phostphate/silicate problems.The solution that came to mind was incorporating a refugium with several mangrove plants.The second solution would probably be adding a deep sand bed, maybe 2-3" in order to provide a low oxygen environment for the colonization of anerobic bacteria.The last solution that I can think of is incorporating an AquaMedic Nitrate Reducer 1000 reactor which slowly adds water to a chamber full of water and by also adding a phosban reactor as well.

Yes. For a quick fix, try adding that phosban reactor and also perhaps some purigen.

For long term, the refugium with mangroves and macroalgae will help.

MadTownMax

mangroves - unless you're planning on a "grove" of mangroves, I would not count on it for nutrient removal - they grow extremely slow, and as such, are not an efficient means of nutrient removal

cheatomopha (speghetti algae) with a vigorous flow rate, and intense lighting in the 5000-6700K range will remove the maximum amount of Nitrate and phosphate - and has a high Phosphate : Nitrate removal ratio (most macro algaes have a low P:N ratio, thereby being nitrate-limited and leaving more phosphate in the water). with correct conditions, cheatomopha will double in mass every two weeks until it has removed the maximum amount of nutients and cannot grow any faster.

you can take my word for it, or if you would like I can direct you to the scientific paper with numerical results.

• 2 months later...
reeferbarra20

Hey, all i know its been a while since i last posted . I am currently traveling abroad and as of the moment I am unable to post any pics.

I will be returning home by August 1st and will post pics of my tank.

The tank that wa started back in Jan 06' is doining quite well. Here is a list of the current inhabitants in my reef.

1x gold-striped maroon clown, 1 sixline wrasse, 2 blue-green chromis, an orange shoulder tang, and a mandarin goby. I have several large turbo snails, 20 or so cerith snails , a few electric blue hermit crabs, and a brittle seastar that i've had for about a year or so. As for corals I have a green crush acanthastrea colony, 1 beautiful tricolor colony of zoos, 1 bright orange colony of zoos , and a few mushrooms here an there. SO stay tuned !!

Archived