Pod Your Reef

Reeferbarra's 120 Reef Adventure

reeferbarra20

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all just got back from MACNA, and got an awesome deal on this Calcium Reactor from Marinedepot.

Picture_108_edited.jpg

I also received all of my other equipment, Just waiting on that dam tank. B)

Here are my tank specs.

1.120 gallon acrylic RR, 1/2" cell cast acrylic

2.ASM G-3 skimmer w/sedra 5000 rated for up to 250g

3.30 gallon aga sump.

4.Korallin 1502 Calcium Reactor,w/ehiem pump/rtd 400g

Gen-x co2 reg,w/solenoid,dual-gauge+5LBS CO2 tank

5.2x 250 Aqua-Medic AB Oceanlight pendants.w/250 watt

DE,HQI,20K, XM Metal halide bulbs

6.Mag-drive 24, (2400)gph return pump

7.2x200 watt Ebo-Jager heaters

8.custom stand

9.Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150, w/maxi-1200

Once I get everything, the plumbing project will begin.:(

I really need advice on the plumbing, so I am asking for anyone who knows anything about plumbing , for advice, suggestions, or helpful comments. Thanks--Reeferbarra

PS. This means you, Tigah.

Alright peeps, Heres the scoop. I have all my equipment except

my co2 tank and regulator(will get them ltr).

The plumbing task is at hand. Now I know that some of you are

dieing for me to hurry up and get this tank started...

Sorry for not being faster B).. Kinda busy w school heh.

So here are a few more pics of the tank. I went to homedepot

for some plumbing parts ...and I asked one of the employees what a union ball was and he looked at me like I was craz!!!

Homedepot's customer service is soooo lousy. Here are the pics

Picture%20114.jpg

Picture%20117.jpg

Alright peeps, I need some advice on what I should keep in my 120 tank. Here are two stocking lists.The first one would be a reef stocking list. The second one would be a fish only system.Please let me know what you think. Any opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. 120 REEF TANK Stocking

1.Blue Hippo Tang

2.2x True percula clowns

3.1x RBTA

4.Firefish

Any additional fish would go well with this list? PLEASE TELL ME . I can't decide. Any sugg would be appreciated.

2. 120 FOWLR Stocking

1.Pinktail Trigger

2.Emperor Angelfish

ANY ADVICE WOUL DB EGREAT

Ive decided to go with a FOWLR setup.

The next few years will be very busy for me therefore,

I have decided to go with a Fish only setup. Corals cost too much anyways..B) Here is my stocking list.

1. Giant Hawkfish aka "clown hawkfish"

2. Blue Hippo Tang

3. Panther Grouper

LEmme kno what ya'll think.

Poor Hawkfish!!

cmeroklas.jpg

BEAUTIFUL FISH

Well, all the plumbing is done except for getting the right adapter for my mag 24 return nozzle to attach to a 1" pvc pipe, which has an adapter to join 1" pvc w/ a 1/2" pipe.Here are some pics . The 1st one is a description of what i juist posted.

Here Is the adapter that is threaded on the inside and fits

the return nozzle on my Pump. However, It does not fit the 1" pvc pipe that joins the pump nozzle ,and the adapter from 1" to 1/2".

Adapte22.jpg

1diameter%20(17).jpg

1diameter.jpg

CONNECTION.jpg

Full%20retrun.jpg

RETURN.jpg

I don't know what to do from here. Soo.. I would like to hear back from somebody. Please. This is the ONLY object left keeping me from setting up my tank. It will be a Bare-bottom REEF, w/ 80lbs of Lr. The sooner I solve this, The sooner I will have the piece of eye candy :P.

This bottom pi is the Adapter from 1"to1/2" ,using a 1" pvp pipe as a coupling. However, The adapter on the pumps return does not fit the 1" pvp pipe. Thanks , Reeferbarra

[/img]

Okay, assuming I am understanding the situation correctly...here's the problem:

Adapte22a.jpg

The adapter you have is a 1-1/4" x 1" Slip x FPT adapter.

Adapte22b.jpg

what you need is a 1" x 1" Slip x FPT adapter. hth.

Hey tigah, I think I confused you when i posted that end of adapter. Here are some pics to clarify things.

The first one is a picture of the 1" pvc pipe being used as a coupling between a 1"to 1/2" adapter and the 1-1/4x1" threaded adapter to the Pump's return nozzle. Adapyerthree.jpg

Adaptertoo.jpg

as you can see here the 1-1/4x1" slip adapter fits the nozzle of the return but not the 1" pvp "coupling"

adapfourr.jpg

The 1" piece of pvc you are using to connect the 2 adapters is called a "nipple".

Here's my understanding...(and I'm going to use decimels instead of fractions to help keep everything straight)

The 1" pvc definitely connects to the 1"-0.5" adapter as shown in your pic.

And the 1" threaded end of the 2nd adapter does fit the 1" outlet of the return pump. the pic shows that as well.

But as I noted above, the other end of the adapter is a 1.25" end. i.e. made to fit 1.25" pvc pipes only (so the nipple pvc piece would have to be 1.25" for it to fit like it is supposed to).

But as u can see, there is extra space b/c the adapter is too large for the 1" nipple pvc piece. and since it's a 1.25" ended adapter, it's likely exactly 0.25" too big.

So you would need BOTH ends of the adapter to be 1" - one side threaded to fit the outlet of the return pump and the other side slip (but in 1" size NOT 1.25" size) so it will fit properly w/ your 1" nipple pvc piece.

Or am I completely off?

or maybe one more question will help me understand/clarify.

Since you have a 1" to 1-1/4" adapter. That must mean you have 1-1/4" (aka 1.25") pvc pipes as well. Is this the case?

I would need to get an adapter that fits the 1" nipple and the threaded part of the adapter to fit th pumps return , Right? I get that part. Any ideas on Where i can get this??

I hate homedepot cuz they don't have anything. Thanks again Tigah. I'll go hunting for that adapter.

reeferbarra20

I finally got all of my plumbing parts, and am going to start setting up tommorrow. Today , I filled up a 24 gallon rubbermaid tub and fired up my skimmer for a test run. The ASM didn't produce ANY micro-bubbles like it was supposed to. I don't know if this is just a "break in" phase , or if ASM just sucks. I made sure that the venturi was unobstructed and the riser pipe was in the right place.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks , Reeferbarra.

Archived