SaltCritters.com

Reeferbarra's 120 Reef Adventure

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

Time for an update. Here is a link of my 120 reef. Please excuse the background noise, I will eventually learn to make my videos better . So here it is ! Enjoy!

ps. feel free to make any comments and how to make it better thnx---Reeferbarra

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

Reeferbarra

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reeferbarra20

Update! Current Setup : 120 Reef

DOB w/filtration Jan05

Current stocking list

1x Gold-striped Maroon Clown "2"

1x Purple Tipped Sebea Anemone "6-7" Diameter

1x Sixline Wrasse "1.5"

2x Blue-Green Chromis "1.5"

1x 6+polyp Blue-spotted mushroom colony

1x Acanthastrea Echinata "Green Crush" 20+polyps

Future stocking.......1x Blond Naso Tang "3-4"

7x Great Barrier Reef Chromis "1-1.5"

1x Frogspawn Colony

1x Torch Colony

1x Maxima Clam

reeferbarra20

yup , I did. Awesome quality . But now that i've had acrylic i know that it does scratch waay too easily. I mean I have no noticible scratches there are some small minute hair-line scratches if you look at it real close. But the tank was very well packaged , and had absolutely no scratches on it when it arrived.

Nice video...always better than pictures. It sounds like you were chewing gum while filming. :)

yeah it does sound like he was chewing gum, were you? Nice tank, keep us updated. The other questions I have, does the humming noise bother you? I mean after listening to the movie that noise would get on my nerves. Or are you going to fix the noise later? The splashing noise it not bad but the humming noise is loud as @#$%.

Edit: My bad I guess i skipped over a post you made about the drains being loud. I made one myself for my 100g and I would recommed it to anyone with splashing noises and toliet noises. The only problem I had with making my Durso pipe waa I couldn't find a 1¼ PVC Street-Ell at my local hardware store or home depot. I had to make do with a regular elbow joint. You can look on this website to see what you need http://www.dursostandpipes.com.

reeferbarra20

Thanks for all the great comments. My 120 reef has been up 1 month and here is a current stocking list of my reef.

1. 2x blue-green chromis

2. 1x gold striped maroon clown

3.1x small orangeshoulder tang (juv)very yellow

4. mandarin goby( actually i feel bad about buying this guy(family pressure, impulse)

5. 1x sixline wrasse

6. 6"-7" purple tipped sebea anemone(hasnt eaten anything for 2weeks foot was attached for 2 weeks and then he decided to relocate 3 days ago but not sticking , looks healthy other wise)

7. small acan (green crush) acanthastrea echinata colony 20+ polyps

8. small blue spotted mushroom colony 6+ polyps

• 2 weeks later...
reeferbarra20

Hi all, just wanted to let you guys know whats about to happen.

My current problem is that about 1 month ago i was in search of a smaller, closed loop system so I sold my following equipment which I knew I was going to regret later.

Here they are; 1. Asm G3 Skimmer, Korallin 1502 Calcium reactor, and my beautiful Aquamedic Ab ocean light 250watt pendant. I am in search for a new skimmer, lighting system and calcium reactor. I was considering purchasing a coralife skimmer, Calcium reactor and possibly a t-5/Mh combo lighting system. If anyone can guide me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not sure why you sold the G3 or the reactor.

I'd still recommend the ASM G3 or G4 and do a recirculation mod on it. It would work great with your setup. Coralife is definately a lot worse than an ASM. My coralife's collection cup shattered on me. =P Why go cheap when you've got such a great tank already?

Aquamedic's T5/MH combo is really good, I'm actually getting a T5/MH with 250watt HQI and 2x24w T5 pendant from them. Pricey but worth it IMO. The 250watt hqi oceanlight pendant I have now is going over a new prop tank.

Finnex also has a cheaper T5/MH combo with pheonix 14K bulbs.

I also know of someone selling the 48" Aquamedic T5/MH locally for $400.

Keep your skimmer, calcium reactor, and get a new t5/mh combo.

goodluck.

reeferbarra20
I'm not sure why you sold the G3 or the reactor.

I'd still recommend the ASM G3 or G4 and do a recirculation mod on it. It would work great with your setup. Coralife is definately a lot worse than an ASM. My coralife's collection cup shattered on me. =P Why go cheap when you've got such a great tank already?

Aquamedic's T5/MH combo is really good, I'm actually getting a T5/MH with 250watt HQI and 2x24w T5 pendant from them. Pricey but worth it IMO. The 250watt hqi oceanlight pendant I have now is going over a new prop tank.

Finnex also has a cheaper T5/MH combo with pheonix 14K bulbs.

I also know of someone selling the 48" Aquamedic T5/MH locally for $400.

Keep your skimmer, calcium reactor, and get a new t5/mh combo.

goodluck.

Coralife reactor a bad idea?

• 2 weeks later...
reeferbarra20

Hi all, its been a while since I last posted. So heres an update, which was long overdue. I have been contemplating whether or not i should drill the back of my acrylic tank for a closed loop. I know that when people request holes o be drilled in their custom tanks , the manufacturer pre-drills the holes prior to assembly. My question is , is it ok for me to drill the back of my tank with 5, 3/4" holes for a closed loop system? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Hey Barry!

I think you'll need a larger hole than a 3/4" for that size tank, at least for the intake. Or you can just build an HOB closed loop system similar to the one on melevsreef.com if you're not sure about drilling.

I'm still regreting not buying your tank when I had the chance :) I might be able to help you out but my schedule has been tough esp. with the kids.

be careful about having a sixline and a mandarin in there... they are competing for the same food source, and the wrasse will win every time because they are faster. even if you seed continuously, the mandarin is probably going to starve... unless he's on prepped foods?

i want to see pics, they are not working! :)

The Mandarin and Six-Line are going to eventually going to kill each other in competition for food.

Not physically, like in a fight or something like that, just one of them is going to starve from the other depleting the food supply.

you will need larger holes than 3/4", but there should be no problem in drilling them in the tank structurally speaking. depending on how you have your closed loop set up, you should mirror the output of your closed loop pump or device (om squirt, etc) for your returns, and mirror the size of the pump intake for your closed loop intake hole. i hope this makes sense...

reeferbarra20
be careful about having a sixline and a mandarin in there... they are competing for the same food source, and the wrasse will win every time because they are faster. even if you seed continuously, the mandarin is probably going to starve... unless he's on prepped foods?

i want to see pics, they are not working! :)

Um. thanxs for the advice dude.

reeferbarra20
How's the tank? Have you drilled the tank yet?

nope not quite. I'm thinking about either drilling it and buying a real well made stand for it. or possibly making a HOB closed loop using a squid. I've been really tied up with school lately soo, you know the rest :)

A SCWD or a Squirt?

Based on what I've seen and read, I would recommend an OceansMotions Squirt or another one of their similar products.

reeferbarra20
A SCWD or a Squirt?

Based on what I've seen and read, I would recommend an OceansMotions Squirt or another one of their similar products.

Wow. Their website was awesome. I am definately going to do a hob close loop system.

Did you check out their "waterpix" section of people's plumbing set ups? It may give you some ideas. Most of them have large tanks too.

Oh yeah, I am just wondering why you would prefer an hob closed loop over drilling your tank since it's just acrylic? Although I have heard of acrylic tanks cracking because of drilling too...

reeferbarra20
Did you check out their "waterpix" section of people's plumbing set ups? It may give you some ideas. Most of them have large tanks too.

Oh yeah, I am just wondering why you would prefer an hob closed loop over drilling your tank since it's just acrylic? Although I have heard of acrylic tanks cracking because of drilling too...

heh. Id rather go hob instead of having to drill

reeferbarra20

REEF UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

After much planning I have decided to add a closed loop to my tank thereby eliminating the need for powerheads. The closed loop will be run by a OM Super Squirt which can handle up to 2200gph wavemaker powered by a Sequence 750 3600SW Mdl rated @1900gph . I also ordered the following for my tank

1. Current Usa Orbit Satellite NOVA EXTREME 432watt T-5 HO system, thats 4x54 watt 10k, 4x54 watt Actinic Plus 4 moon lights.

heres a look at config mines "D"novax_configs.jpg

2. Aquamedic Turbofloater 1000 protein skimmer w/ oceanrunner 2500 pump HOB either in or next to the sump wall

I hope the Aquamedic Turbofloater is as good as its reviews are.

My 1yr old Aquamedic AB oceanlight 250watt 20k DE HQI pendant/ballast combo is up for sale , the bulb is only 3 months old. $200 shipped $ 180 local , PS i'm in Alexandria,VA PM ME IF INTERESTED (this means you Danskim!!) :P

Archived