ReefCleaners.org

Reeferbarra's 120 Reef Adventure

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

Ok, After much contemplation, I have decided to go full reef

for my 120. My goal is to replicate a natural reef biotope found in the Indo-Pacific region. Here is my stocking list including Lr/and ls. I still havent decided on what salt mix to use, so any suggestions would be great.

1.1x Juvenile Pacific Regal Tang medium 2"-3" max in aquaria 1'

p_89501.jpg

2. 1x Juvenile Maroon Clownfish - Tank-Bred 3/4"-1x1/2" max in aquaria 6"

pw69417maroon_clownfish.jpg

3. 1x Radiant Wrasse 1-3/4" to 3-1/2" max " in aquaria 5"

(Halichores iradius)

[img http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/2005...rge/p_89534.jpg[/img]

IS "reef-safe"

It will eat fireworms and pyramidellid snails, protecting corals and clams. In addition, it may eat feather dusters, wild shrimp, tubeworms, and flatworms. It may also eat parasites off of tank mates.

My Invert DEFENDER lol. hopefully this dude will eat all those dam pyramid snils I have.

By the way you guys should check out Liveaquaria's 30 day risk-free arrive alive, stay alive guarantee on their captive grown corals.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wrasse is cool although doesnt it "eat wild shrimp". Assuming that wild shrimp are cleaner shrimp, peppermints, etc, wouldnt that not be good?

reeferbarra20

I'm not really worried too much about it. The wrasse is simply going do be used as a "pest" exterminator. It may also pick off parasites from it's tankmates so I really wouldn't need cleaner shrimp.

reeferbarra20

OMG I was soo retarded. You guys remember when I posted about those "parasitic" snails? Well, after watching them for the last few days, the only thing they seem to be attacking is hair algae! LOL... The only reason I have hair algae is cuz I got a little lazy with the water changes. :D Good small snails?, who would of thunk it? Stay tuned for more updates.

I will post pics of my current 75 , the one I started back on feb 03,05. ASAP

reeferbarra20

Hey all, Srry about the delay. I'm still trying to get rid of all my livestock before i set up my 120. I decided to get a digital camera that has a macro feature and i ended up with a Nikon 4800 Coolpix camera! I'll be getting it in the mail within in the next few days so expect pics from me within in the next week or so.

• 3 weeks later...
reeferbarra20

Hey all , sorry about not getting back sooner. I just tore down my 75 gallon and put all of my lr into rubbermaid tote with a current orbit fixture for lighting and a few powerheads. I plan to setup the tank within the next week or so , so stay tuned!!

Thanks, Reeferbarra

reeferbarra20

I finally started setting up my tank today and man was it a chore. The first thing I did was modified my aga stand by using a 3/4 "sheet of Oak to go over the top of the stand and secured it to the stand with 6 screws. I found a great alternative way of hanging up Mh pendants by securing 2x 6' 2x4s to the back of my stand with 2x 2' 2x4s to act as the extension over the tank. I will post pics tonight around 10 pm est. I plan to finish setting up throughout thursday so stay tuned.

• 5 weeks later...
reeferbarra20

Ok after procrastinating for 4 months I am finally going to setup my reef tank right after finals are over. So by next wed i should be somewhere between finalizing the plumbing and actually putting water in it. I've been doing alot of research and heres what i've come up with regarding stocking;

FISH

1. 7x Blue Green chromis

2. 2x Ocellaris Clowns (aqua-cultured)

3. 1x Sixline Wrasse

4. 1x Yellow Tang

5. 1x Blue Hippo Tang

Inverts

1. 1x Rose Bubble-Tipped Anemone

2. 50-100 Astrea snails

3. 30 Dwarf Blue legged Hermit crabs

4. 30 Scarlet Red legged Hermit crabs

5. Cleaner shrimp ( i have No idea what kind/ whether they like each other or not so any advice would be Gr8)

6. I would like to have several "electric Blue Legged crabs (like Tigah's)7. Clams,Clams , and More clams!!!

Corals

Possibly a mix of Lps corals only

Since i have seen most reefers start to go down the "dark path "of keeping irresistable Blastos, Acans, exc.... My tank will be mostly Acan/Blasto dominated with a sprinkle of Maxima/Squamosa Clams. Sounds yummy don't it?

With all those clams , by Ca reactor is gonna be working pretty hard. Rated up to 400 gallons so i hope it can be done. Any feedback/comments on this list would Be Great!!!!-------Thanks, Reeferbarra

reeferbarra20

Hi again, Just thought I would would share soem tank updates on my reef.

I have just finished all the plumbing and setup,and i am about to leak test my plumbing with the first 10 gallons of water in my reef. Stay tuned for pics!!!

reeferbarra20

Dam it sure is real tedious to go out and but 60 gallons of Distilled water from giant. And all those people looked at me like i was craz :P. Well I only have 20 or so more gallons to go as of right now i have 85 gallons in it. The only problem is that i currently have 70lbs of fiji rock(from my old 75),and i also wanna get another 20-40lbs of this awesome tonga kaleni rock my lfs has. I am definitely sure that it will take up alot of the remaining volume. Any ideas? Lemme know asap. Right now i am waiting for the water to warm up :)

reeferbarra20

Well i finally st everything up , and have the tank full of water. My only problem now is that the drains are to dam loud. I could barely go to sleep. I was thinking of doing a "Durso" mod to my overflow pipes can anyone elaborate on how and what to do ?

scarf_ace1981

i'm following this thread all the way. BTW you need more pics. the DIY forum has some good diagrams on different styles and how to assemble a "durso". your plumbing job reminds me why i went with vynil tubing for my set up. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking tank Reefer, going to be fun to see it filled to the brim.

Didn't know if you had gotten my PM's, but I wanted to let you know that if you didn't that I will accept your offer.

I would like an update if you got one. I also suggest posting on reefcentral for questions that would apply to LARGE systems/equipment specifically. Most of us here cant afford (monetarily,timewise, or spacewise) the HUGE stuff anymore/yet.

reeferbarra20
think you could re-format those pics so I can fit it on one computer screen instead of 5 :D

Hey all, I am glad to say that my tank is finally setup and running.

Its been full of my established coralline encrusted lr (from my old 75) for about a month w 2 blue-green chromis and a sixline in there the entire time. Everyone seems to be doing great. Today i picked up a a blue-spotted mushroom colony and my very first acanthastrea echinata colony 15+polyps for $40 from my lfs. I can't wait to feed them a mix of cyclopeeze and krill tommorrow! I think i will keep this tank lightly stocked until i pick up a skimmer and new lighting system, but I plan to eventually have it packed full of rare and colorful acans,blastos and micros. I will post pics first thing tommorrow morning !! Stay tuned!!

Archived