Cultivated Reef

Reeferbarra's 120 Reef Adventure

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

I figured I might as well share my endevour of setting up a 120 reef, and what better place to keep a "photo record" of my tank than Nano-reef? Anyways, I plan to buy this 120 within the next few days, so check back here as I "walk through" my setup,plans, and eventually full operation of this behemoth.

This setup won't be as complicated as Tigah's, but will certainly be pretty time consuming, heh. Thought I would share some pictures of the tank;

19_1_b.JPG

0d_1.JPG

2b_1.JPG

0c_1.JPG

b1_1.JPG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reeferbarra20

Thanks. That tank has sooo much potential, I can't wait to get started. I think I'll probably use my 75lbs of lr from my 75, and the rest from live-aquaria.com. Does anyone one know how much lr I should use?

thats the normal consis, but alor of th larger tanks use a smaller ammount of LR and just let the SPS grow. It all depends on your bio load, I only have about 17 lbs in my 20L but some peopl ehave like 40 lbs in a small tank. its all about your prefrence. I like a more open LR structure. check out my page thats how mine looks btu some like a wall of rock.

-greg

reeferbarra20

Ok,Ok ..., So I finally ordered my Skimmer,and my return pump.

At first, I wanted to use an external pump ie panworld,iwaki, an dthe like. However, I was scared away from that idea because I don't know jack about plumbing :P. So I opted for a danner Mag-drive 36 at 3600gph instead. I hope its gonna be enough water flow. Here are some pics,

My return pump (3600gph) Water flow!!!!

IMD150DN1135.jpg

AquaC EV120 Protein Skimmer w/ JG Fitting + Mag-Drive 5 Pump B) rated for up to 150 gallons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMD150AC120GM.jpg

reeferbarra20

Yeah, it should be fine iy has DUAL DRAINS: (2)- 1" SLIP BULKHEADS, and DUAL DRAINS: (2)- 1" SLIP BULKHEADS.I'm not sure if it can handle 3600gph , so I might down-grade to 2400gph. Argh, this new setup is giving me a headache. Its gonna interesting to see how I do when I have to put the plumbing together :P

well after head pressure, you'll lose spome of that, and you could use a scwd in the return, that adds lots of extra pressupe on the pump. You might want to do some math, and figure it al out. (sorry i can't help u there bad at math) You'll figure it out.

go to RC and check out the drain ammounts. but I would suggest hat you get a smallr return pump, then use at least 3 or 4 powerheads, like the Sios or somethig becuase with aht much tank your gonna need alot of little flows to break up dead spots

reeferbarra20

I'm not really worried about dead spots because I plan to have alot of detrius consuming star fish. I will probably use some kind of wavebox, ie tunze or somthing for water movement. Besides, I don't like the idea of having a bunch of wires all over my tank, looks too much like an ICU. Seriously, with 3 fish in a 120 , I'm sure that waste won't be a problem. I also plan to use ALL of my 75/lbs of lr,and most of my water from my established 75. AS for the sand bed i'll use 40-60lbs of Live sand, and maybe 20-30 lbs Crushed coral. As far as the return pump , I will be going with the 2400gph, which after pumping approx 52'inches,or about 4.33 feet,it will lose 650gph, therby leaving me 1750gph to play with. Do you think that 11.66 times per hour is enough of a turnover for a 120 gallon+ 30 gallon sump? I've also determined , that at 1750gph, my drain bulkhead diameter needs to be a minimum of 1.74 inches,but my tank has 2x 1'inch drains , so i should be good. Whew .....I feel a headache coming on B)

reeferbarra20

Ok , after much contemplating, I bought an ASM G-3 In-Sump Skimmer w/a sedra 5000 pump, rated for up to a 25O gallon tank. Compared to Euro-reef's EURO-CS8-3 rated for 175gallon tank,it was only $264 bucks.Whats the sense in paying $325 bucks more, for a skimmer that is rated less and has the same sedra pump? I did love my euroreef ES 5-3 skimmer on my 75, but honestly why waste more money for the same exact thing??

As for lighting, I will just change my current 250 watt, 10k,aqualine De,hqi bulbs, and replace them with 20k's. I will have pics up of my setup asap, so check back later as I continue my setup to the big day. Thanks, reeferbarra

good choice on the ASM, most people don't realize but the Euroreef and ASM are essentially the same model except ASM uses extruded fittings as opposed to cast fittings which are way more expensive.

Hey all , I just got my stand for my 120. The only problem is that the stand is made by aga and it has a center brace. As you can see my tank has a built in overflow w/ 2x 1" drains and 2x 1/2" returns. When I first saw the tank specs I didn't know that it was drilled through the bottom, so now i'm stuck w/ the stand. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could modify it. As you all know, most acrylic tanks do not have a bottom brace, and must be placed on a flat surface. I already bought a 48x24 3/4" sheet of oak to put on top of the stand, to act as a support for the bottom of the tank.

My origional plan was to drill the dual drain and return holes through the bottom of the peice of wood. But I think that the center brace will get in the way of that. Can anyone suggest some modification ideas, or comments on what I should do?? ------Thanks, Reeferbarra

Here is my ASM G-3 SKIMMER w/ Sedra pump rated at 500gph the skimmer is rated for up to a 250 gallon tank. When I un-packed it, i was surprised how huge it was

THIS SKIMMER ROCKS!!! Picture%20100_edited.jpg

Archived