ReefCleaners.org

dweakl01's 20 Long

dweakl01

I could paint it if I wanted, but it fits nicely under the black lip of the tank. I'll probably zip tie it to the lip anyway. How's your plumbing coming?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

slackers.

Actually, if the wife allows, I will finish my stand/cabinet tonight.

Somehow I am guessing that won't happen.

Dweak - what size bulkheads did you use?

what lighting are you planning on using?

J

Cool. I can picture what you mean...under the black plastic part, right?

I posted the first plumbing pic on my thread. Check it out and tell me what you think...nicely! :D

Rob

Originally posted by Newbie527

Dweak - what size bulkheads did you use?

what lighting are you planning on using?

J

Bulkheads are 2 x 1" slip.

Lighting will be 150w HQI 20k to begin, I may do a hood with PCs added later depending upon my needs.

Originally posted by Newbie527

I am jealous...you are so much further along than where i would like to be.

looks good and keep us posted.

If you want to drill your tank, PM me sometime and bring it up. We can get it done, not a big deal.

OK, plumbing is done and the maifold is installed. I have to finish the sump today, and I'll probably run fresh water outside in it for a while working out flow rates, looking for leaks, etc.

First, the manifold...

manifold_installed.jpg

Next, the plumbing...

plumbing.jpg

Lastly, a front view...

set-up.jpg

I'd put in 2 more ball valves on the drain and maybe a couple of unions for easy disconnection, only for making maintenance a little easier.

what kind of skimmer are you going to use?

I like the manifold, is it 1/2" schedule 40?

Originally posted by mdt178

I'd put in 2 more ball valves on the drain and maybe a couple of unions for easy disconnection, only  for making maintenance a little easier.

what kind of skimmer are you going to use?

I like the manifold, is it 1/2" schedule 40?

I'll probably put a 1.5" ball valve on the drain. The last length going into the sump is not glued, so I can do it anytime. Lowes didn't have any solvent 1.5" ball valves last time I was there. As for unions, I may add some in the future. I was just trying to keep it simple at this point.

Skimmer is the BakPak knock-off from Aquatraders runnning a RIO 600. I'm using it on my 30 now, so I'll just transfer it since the 30 is coming down.

Yup the manifold is nothing more than .5" schedule 40. I've probably got a whopping $8 - $9 wrapped up in it.

Originally posted by smokez01

That tank is gonna be sick!

I really want to set up a long tank somewhere around the house, especialy because i work at a fish store, http://www.bigalsonline.com

the first in the US,  

kudos on your new tank man, i cant wait to see it unfold,

Thanks for the props, I appreciate it.

Dweak,

Nice work! I don't post much these days, but I'm also setting up a 20L. I skimmed the previous pages, but couldn't figure out how you are keeping the waterline above the drain bulkhead level. I'm considering doing a manifold, too, and would love advice.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed-N,

I don't have the water line that high. Its funny you mentioned this because my wife and I were looking at the tank while sitting at the table this eveening and I said if I did it again the only thing I would do is to place the bulkheads higher. I have the waterline about 2" from the top of the tank. (I'll post pics later) When I drilled the tank I used the rule of thumb to keep the bulkhead the distance of the circumference of the hole from all sides. So, that's put the bulkhead in high.

-Darin

PS: Where are you in MD?

Darin,

If you haven't gone too far in stocking, you can drain the tank and silicone/glue some small skimmer boxes infront of the bulkheads with the teeth at the water level you want.

The other thing I was concerned about your design is noise. I'm not sure I see any way for air to get into the drain bulkheads except through the bulkheads themselves. Sometimes, this causes a sucking or toilet flushing sound. An external durso would be a possible solution.

Sorry, dude, I don't mean to be critical, but I just wanted to share my thoughts since I am also building a 20L.

I live near Columbia, MD, between DC and Baltimore. Where in PA are you? Close to the MD border? Perhaps we can finish our 20L's together over a beer!

Ed

Originally posted by Ed-N

Darin,

If you haven't gone too far in stocking, you can drain the tank and silicone/glue some small skimmer boxes infront of the bulkheads with the teeth at the water level you want.

I thought about doing a calfo-style (tank-length) overflow with ledge, but decided I didn't want the extra hassle. The water level isn't bad, just something I'd rethink.

The other thing I was concerned about your design is noise.  I'm not sure I see any way for air to get into the drain bulkheads except through the bulkheads themselves.  Sometimes, this causes a sucking or toilet flushing sound.  An external durso would be a possible solution.
You're right that's allI have for air intake(through the bulkheads). I have no issues with the "flushing sound", except when my return pump powers off, that's when I get it, so I'm fine in that category.

Sorry, dude, I don't mean to be critical, but I just wanted to share my thoughts since I am also building a 20L.

I live near Columbia, MD, between DC and Baltimore.  Where in PA are you?  Close to the MD border?  Perhaps we can finish our 20L's together over a beer!

Ed

No problem. I appreciate the input. Yeah, I'm in York, about 45 minutes north of Towson.

Archived