Cultivated Reef

dweakl01's 20 Long

dweakl01

One diamond cutting wheel got me two holes. (I cut a 10g earlier today as practice). My bulkheads are 1" bulkheads. Very, very easy guys, just take your time and let the disc do the cutting, keep it wet and don't put pressure on it. Simple.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by reef 'n ale

Fancy cutting d! I don't think I'd have the nerves to do that. Think you'll have it up and running by the "Reef B Que"?

Rob

I doubt I'll have it up by then. The wife and I are "in discussion" about a stand. I'm thinking of trying a DIY stand, and she says my finishing carpentry skills "lack beauty". Who know's what the hell this thing will end up on. :)

looks fantastic, d! very professional, man...if you lived in cali, i guarantee you'd have a ton of people asking you to drill their tanks for them! :) now ya just need to get it all set up...looks like a great beginning, man! :D

mike- there are a few good ways i've seen people keep water in the area they are drilling. the easiest method is to just take the tank outside and have someone run water out of a hose over the area you want to drill. the best, if you don't have a hose handy, is the playdough/putty trough. you basically make a putty barrier around where you are planning to drill and then fill it with water. if you do a search here i'm sure you can find what i'm trying to explain.

yoshio, good ideas, but in the link i provided dweak i provided the easiest way....take your tank to the local reef club and have one of your reef buddies squirt it down with water from a spray bottle while you drill :)

Great thread. I actually did the same thing to a 20H but never used the tank. I could not figure out what to do with the tank, and I am going to follow your work to get some ideas. What type of pump are you using? Are you using any nozzles to direct the stream? I am also assuming that the holes you drilled are returns, so do you have any idea what you are going to do for an overflow?

Thanks for the diamond drum bit idea. That may be the perfect thing to make overflow slots in glass.

Originally posted by mikez104

How did you keep the cutting wheel wet without elecrticuting yourself?

You just wet the disc, not the whole dremel. Use a spray bottle. Keep moisture on the area, that's it, no big lake of water, just steady moisture. If you see the water dripping out or flying away with the cutting, spray more. Easy.

Originally posted by Travis

Hey dweak, nice looking 20 long.  I am anticipaiting the stocking of this tank :)

Me too. The wife and I just have to come to terms on a stand/canopy.

Originally posted by luceneck

Great thread.  I actually did the same thing to a 20H but never used the tank.  I could not figure out what to do with the tank, and I am going to follow your work to get some ideas.  What type of pump are you using?  Are you using any nozzles to direct the stream?  I am also assuming that the holes you drilled are returns, so do you have any idea what you are going to do for an overflow?

Thanks for the diamond drum bit idea.  That may be the perfect thing to make overflow slots in glass.

I'll probably use a mag 9.5 on it. I'll probably build a manifold with adjustable nozzles, as suggested by Anthony Calfo. No, the holes are the overflows, the manifold will be the return.

No progress folks. Debating stand/canopy with the wife. She says I can't move forward on this project until I finish the countertop in the kitchen. Hopefully I'll have that done this weekend, so I can get back to this next weekend.

I finished the countertop last weekend. As I mentioned on the phone I wussed-out and bought one of those Sedona stands from Marineland. If I think about it later, I'll post a pic. FIrst I have to figure out how to take a pic with a dremel and some scrap pieces of onion bag I have laying around. :blink:

Alright, here's a pic of the new set-up on the stand I purchased. Its a Marineland Sedona 30" long stand. Nice stand for $150.

front_view2.jpg

And here's a view of the front with the doors open showing the 10g sump.

front_view.jpg

And last but not least, my plumbing from my overflows to my sump...

rear_view.jpg

I still have to work on the sump/fuge details, but I have an idea of what I want to do. The return is going to be through a PVC over-the-top maifold.

That's it for now.

Originally posted by Newbie527

I didn't see this forum before...

looks awesome dweak.

Wanna drill a 20l for me?

:)

I'll show you how to drill it if you want. (Give a man a fish...blah, blah, blah.)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my manifold finished. I just have to work on the return plumbing. I have it dry-fitted, but I don't like the set-up at this point, so I'll probably change it. Anyway...here's the manifold.

manifold.jpg

Oh yeah, I bought a Quiet One 4000 last night. I've read mixed reviews about the pump. Folks who have experienced issues stated Pentair is very good with standing behind the product and replacing/repairing it, so I figured I'd roll the dice. I liked the economical energy usage compared to the MAG 9.

Archived