Cultivated Reef

Shao-lin's 24g nanocube

shao-lin nano

for stocking you should buy a green mandarin, go to reef revolution.com and then get some pods in a bottle and your set, also put like maybe along the lines of a gramma,dottyback, idk its all up to you!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Properly the best tank mod I have seen, so much so I found a nano cube with the uk and purchased one.

Looks like it anyway. Here’s the link http://www.aquaworldlimited.co.uk/acatalog...u_MT_Range.html

At the moment I have a Aqua-via 418w with fuge (Aquaclear 500), so I have time to-do the mod, and test the tank with water for about 1mts.

I have got the MH70w 20000K ballast, etc

The only difference to the mod is two 36w T5 link ere and a 36w moon light

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z497007.asp

the electrical side no problem, but how did you make such a clean job filling the holes from the old switch.

Anyway the system will be up and running 27th Dec I hope

One more question are you worried about the plastic hood melting or warping

shao-lin nano
I heard that shao bought a powder blue tang but is hiding it from everyone. That's why there hasn't been a FTS as of late. Any truth to this?

These are just false allegations conjured up by jealous reefers.

Properly the best tank mod I have seen, so much so I found a nano cube with the uk and purchased one.

I have got the MH70w 20000K ballast, etc

the electrical side no problem, but how did you make such a clean job filling the holes from the old switch.

One more question are you worried about the plastic hood melting or warping

The Boyu tank is practically the same as the JBJ tank...I believe JBJ just re-labels them for US sales or something like that. Only difference is probably the stock lighting. The 20,000K is a nice light and if you can find T5 HO lighting that'll fit inside the hood that'll be a really nice setup, I don't think we have T5 HO in anything less than 24-inches here.

Some of the holes weren’t used on the NanoCube and was plugged up with a round plastic cap...you can find them in hardware stores as well. And if you have extra fans for ventilation you don't need to worry about melting the hood, just be careful of the splashguard. I replaced the portion of mine under the MH with glass.

Good luck.

Shoa lin, where did you get them pipes for the the nano?

I want to do the currents like that too, well but different.

Not sure where shao got his from. But ive seen such things @ home depot. I believe all he used was some flex tubing, a couple of T's and a few diffusers. You might need to go to the LFS to get the diffusers. But other then that, you should be able to obtain the rest of the equipment from almost any hardware store. I'm contemplating doing something similar, but I now I might not have enough room w\ the fission skimmer..

shao-lin nano

xsamx is correct, they are just regular black flex tubing from homedepot. It's much cheaper there than at lfs. The joints and nozzels came from old rio powerhead attachments, I just used superglue and hot glue to hold everything together and to the top trim of the tank. It is totally concealed. I took it out because my NanoBob's surface skimmer couldn't take the excessive flow and I wanted an effective surface skimmer over extra flow of only 100gph - headloss.

shao-lin nano

Anybody eles into snowboarding? I got a brand new setup after mine got stolen last year out of my car.

It's a Burton Custom 158, Cartel bindings, and Shaun White boots.

PM me if you're from So Cali and wanna go boarding either locally or anywhere else (ie Mammoth, Tahoe, Utah, Canada, New Zeland).

my_board.jpg

Anybody eles into snowboarding? I got a brand new setup after mine got stolen last year out of my car.

It's a Burton Custom 158, Cartel bindings, and Shaun White boots.

PM me if you're from So Cali and wanna go boarding either locally or anywhere else (ie Mammoth, Tahoe, Utah, Canada, New Zeland).

my_board.jpg

Nice board! I still run my setup from 4 years ago. I have a Shortys board, still have baseless tech-9 bindings, and DC boots. I think its about time for an upgrade. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
shao-lin nano

I'm thinking about upgrading my lights again. I'm starting to feel like my tank isn't bright enough, I don't know how you guys with stock lighting deal with it.

I want to go with a 150W MH while keeping the PC configuration the same.

What do you guys think?

It'll bring my lighting up to 3X36W PC + 2X9W PC + 1x150W MH = 276W total.

I'm thinking about upgrading my lights again. I'm starting to feel like my tank isn't bright enough, I don't know how you guys with stock lighting deal with it.

I want to go with a 150W MH while keeping the PC configuration the same.

What do you guys think?

It'll bring my lighting up to 3X36W PC + 2X9W PC + 1x150W MH = 276W total.

I think your fish will need sunscreen B)

Seriously, if anyone can make it work it would be you. Keep us posted, lots-o-pics!

Bob

Shao, how close to your MH are your corals? I've got a 70MH along with the stock 72W PC in my hood and I think I'm actually burning one of my SPS (too much light/heat?). My rocks go up to within about 2 inches of my water line so the corals near the top get blasted. Its been there for about two months, I'm going to give it another week and then move it down in the tank and see how it does.

Since our MH's are so close to the water I think our PAR values are higher than most. Nothing even grows on the top inch or so of my rocks. The 150MH that close along with the PC's might cause a volcanic reaction!

The only addition I haven't implimented yet is a 32W SunPaq dual actinic in the flip top. The 2-50/50 PC's along with the 14000K MH are still too white looking for my taste. Got the bulb and ballast, just looking for ambition. That would give me a total of only 201W (72PC + 70MH + 32W Actinic + 27W fuge) so you will still be the king!

shao-lin nano

My MH is off center and I have LPS pretty high up on the opposite side. On the MH side, the highest coral reaches about the bottom of NanoBobs skimmer. My clam sits half way up in the tank and I have only a few frags of SPS roughly 2/3 of the way up.

I really wanted to put lights in the feeding lid as well after I noticed how all the lights are concentrated in the back half of the tank. I realized this after I installed the 2 cooling fans in the feeding lid.

I dont have to worry about tank temp becaue I have a Titan150 chiller and 2X80mm evap fans hooked up to my ReefKeeper. My temp swing is between 78-79 and hardly ever goes beyond 78.7.

I could just redesign a new hood with air ducts and rear vents but that's an idea I have for a nanocustom hood. We'll see, almost anything is possible with these hoods.

shao-lin nano
shao

Why don't you skip the 150 and go straight to the 250w. :D

Dont tempt me B)

I think I'll be satisfied if and when I get a 150MH in there. If I'm not happy with that then I don't think anything else would.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Shao,

Keep in mind that it's not just more light that make your tank appear brighter... I've noticed that when you jump from 20K bulbs to 14K to 10K HQI you get different degrees in what appear brighter...

You could save a lot of headache by first playing around with different Kelvin and if that doesn't quench your thirst, go for the 150 HQI...

Mike G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
shao-lin nano

I'll update with pics soon.

I have some cool news though, my mini carpet anemone split into 3. The largest is now the size of a quarter and others about dime sized.

shao-lin nano

Okay, decided to snap some shots to share. Please excuse the messy back wall and I didn't take a FTS because my sand bed is littered with frags and looks a little messy.

Here is my little zoo garden on the right side of the tank with frogspawn and hammer mixed in there and a blasto in the background:

1-20a.jpg

Another shot from right side of tank:

1-20e.jpg

Upper left tank with clam and a few frags of sps, want to get more soon:

1-20d.jpg

Upper right side includes some monti caps, enchino, blury superman dane in foreground, and a dying brain (white):

1-20c.jpg

Here are some more shots of the clam and dendro:

1-20b.jpg

I'll try to get some better shots sometime soon, all pictures were taken today; tank is 6 months old.

Archived