ReefCleaners.org

Shao-lin's 24g nanocube

shao-lin nano

shao-lin nano

A few hermits, a few snails, a 4-line wrass (1st pic towards the bottom), random sea star hitch hikers, aptasia, a little hair alge, chaeto in back chamber....other random stuff found in most tanks.

Also some micros (about 4 morphs), more blastos (4 different frags), red sea and pom pom xenia, acan echinata and lords (few small colonies), yumas, rhodactus, few green/brown button polyps, and neon green clove polyps.

I think I listed everything.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shao....I have no clue how I missed your Nano Journal....but DAHAMN! very nice stuff man. I can't wait for my zoo's to take off like that. Kudo's to an awesome thought process and excellent selections of corals. Nice rug btw.... :lol:

shao-lin nano
Nice rug btw.... :lol:

Haha, I'm thinking about getting a nice rug for my living room. I'll take a FTS of my tank with a rug in the pic and start some sort of theme with nanos and rugs.

very nice tank shaolin. can you post pics of how you set up your fluval to your nanocube? i was thinking about doing that that didnt know where i can put the thing where the water comes out of.

shao-lin nano
very nice tank shaolin. can you post pics of how you set up your fluval to your nanocube? i was thinking about doing that that didnt know where i can put the thing where the water comes out of.

The water leaves the tank from chamber 1 and comes back in at chamber 3. I made n-shaped notches in the hood to allow the hose to pass through and still allow the hood to open and close without obstruction from the hose.

I cut the output nozzel at the red dotted line, chose a place along the false wall of the 3rd chamber and made a hole that matches the inside perimeter of the nozzel. I used super glue and epoxy to afix the nozzed on the wall, the spout in the display and the hose attachment in chamber 3.

nozzel.jpg

This pic is from page 2 of this thread, it shows the fluval output. I no longer run the extra flow along the rim of my tank.

spray_bar.jpg

shao-lin nano
Wow....very cool idea. Good work man. :D

Thanks

hey jeremy how strong is the flow rate for your fluval? do you lose alot for head length since your canister is on the floor? thanks

-Jon

The flow is very little. The filter is rated at 180 gph. Having to go up about 30 inches and the hole I cut in the false wall is only about 70% of the spout opening reduces the flow significantly. It's good enough for keeping the water quality top notch with the media I run. I'm very happy with the filter.

With they hydor and fluval, I hardly have any dead spots.

• 2 weeks later...
shao-lin nano
Can we see the most recent pic of your tank please

Previous page has pic from 1/20/06

nice monti caps!!

Thanks, they grow kind of funky, the orange one is growing downwards. I was hoping it would grow in a spiral cup.

Previous page has pic from 1/20/06

Thanks, they grow kind of funky, the orange one is growing downwards. I was hoping it would grow in a spiral cup.

Nice Tank, Is this a DX? I have a 12g that only came with one 24w Pc. Can i get a few more in my tank? Also one last question if you don't mind, what is in the fluval, and all your chambers. Thanks, John

Shao your tank is looking fantastic!!! Keep up the good work.

Bob

P.S.

Hood is still working great. Temps are stable at 80deg without the ICA. Evap is out of control, however. A little over a gallon a day!! Hopefully that will slow down once the temps and humidity go up a little.

Thanks again,

Bob

shao-lin nano
Nice Tank, Is this a DX? I have a 12g that only came with one 24w Pc. Can i get a few more in my tank? Also one last question if you don't mind, what is in the fluval, and all your chambers. Thanks, John

Thanks, it is a 24g DX. You can definetly get more PC light into your hood. I think a total of 4x24W PC is being kept by quite a few reefers here. A fluval is a canister filter that houses my chemipure, phosguard, and purigen. Chamber 1 has filter floss/pad, temp probe, intake of fluval, and minijet606 to Titan chiller. Chamber 2 has a little bit of LR rubble and lots of chaeto with rear lighting. 3rd chamber has MJ1200 powerhead return, heater, return of fluval and Titan chiller.

Do you used carbon and filter floss?

Yup. I think it's floss. It's like a fabric, probably synthetic about 1/8-1/4 in thick and I cut it from a huge sheet that looks like a blanket. It's white, so when it turns brown I change it...usually about once a week if I don't get lazy.

Shao your tank is looking fantastic!!! Keep up the good work.

Bob

P.S.

Hood is still working great. Temps are stable at 80deg without the ICA. Evap is out of control, however. A little over a gallon a day!! Hopefully that will slow down once the temps and humidity go up a little.

Thanks again,

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm starting a little SPS corner in my tank, hopefully it'll work out.

Glad to hear that your hood is holding up nicely, hopefully your pets love it. I have quite high evap too. I refill about chamber 3 worth of water volume every day to two. I have a float switch but have been too lazy to build my ATO.

• 2 weeks later...

Shao,

The chiller, do you have any pics of it and how you installed it. Also how much was it and were did you get it. Thanks alot for the last reply you have been a big help.

Sorry I forgot to add this question on the last post. I went to Home Depot to get the Rubber tube for the circulation upgrade and I could not find the Y peices or the right size tubing. Were did you get all that stuff besides the rio attachments. Thanks again and sorry for trouble...

Some of these pictures don't do justice to Jeremy's Tank, you've got to see it in person, its Beautiful, one of the best tanks that I've seen so far!

HANDS DOWN !!!

shao-lin nano
Shao,

The chiller, do you have any pics of it and how you installed it. Also how much was it and were did you get it. Thanks alot for the last reply you have been a big help.

Sorry I forgot to add this question on the last post. I went to Home Depot to get the Rubber tube for the circulation upgrade and I could not find the Y peices or the right size tubing. Were did you get all that stuff besides the rio attachments. Thanks again and sorry for trouble...

I don't have a pic of the way I installed the Titan chiller. It's fairly easy, just a MiniJet 606 in chamber one up to a 1/2" Male elbow adapter connected to a 1/2" Female elbow adapter making a "U-shaped" adapter and connected that to the chiller and returned it to chamber 3 the same way. The adapters can be found here:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbi...rb_hosebarb.asp

The chiller I bought off a fellow reefer for $150, that's about how much people sell a used one on here for. New ones run about $250.

The flow upgrade was done with 1/2" black vinyl flexible tubing. The nozells were connected in series and no Y-adapters were used, just bent it over the rear wall.

Some of these pictures don't do justice to Jeremy's Tank, you've got to see it in person, its Beautiful, one of the best tanks that I've seen so far!

HANDS DOWN !!!

Thanks, how are those frags working out for you?

shao-lin nano
How did your finals go by the way ?

Finishing up this week. One down, two to go.

How does the vinyl tubes are mounted so clean? How are the nozzles connected to the vinyl tubes?

The tube is hot glued to the trim and the hose fits very snug over the nozzels. One of the nozzels I modified to make a "T" so that the nozzels can be hooked up in a series. I just hacked apart some fittings and glued it back together to get a "T"

Archived