SaltCritters.com

Shao-lin's 24g nanocube

shao-lin nano

stoney waters

shao. Your mailbox is full again.

I like the idea of pulling air from below the heat shield. Do you have any links for scroll fans. What method did you use to cut the circles in the heat shield.

Thanks again

Stone

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shao-lin nano

cleared it stone,

Look up "fan exhaust blower" in ebay and you'll see lots. I believe you'll need 60 mm and look for the ones with 4 screw holes to mount them in the stock position if that's where you're going to put them.

I cut everything using a jig saw. Maybe a hole saw that attaches to a drill is good too but it's hard using it with a hand held drill because it'll "run". I just drilled a hole big enough to stick the blade of the jig saw through and carefully cut a circle out.

shao-lin nano

Got some new corals to share with you all.

Here is a nice zoo that pochiePooh got for me for only $15, thanks a million man.

zoo-ball.jpg

Here's a pink micro that cost a small fortune, and thanks again pochiePooh for showing me this. Pic is a little blury and color is not as rich as it is in person.

micros.jpg

Here's a 5 headed blasto.

blasto.jpg

Some rainbow acans that once again pochiePooh got me hooked on...haha. It's an interesting L shape soon to be fraged to share with pochie, might frag an extra peice to sell and help cover the cost of the monster 40+ colony.

acanE2.jpg

acanE.jpg

ok let me understand this better

You use a MJ606 for 2 flare nozzles?

can you get a close up of this.

I really think this is a great idea, but how much flow does this produce?

I would also like to see how you conceal the tubing so well.

Thank you

AWESOME CUBE!!!!

shao-lin nano

Hey ereefer, the flow is not all huge but helps get extra motion into the cube from different directions. It is definetly many times better than just having the stock water circulation setup. The position of the two nozzles also help in surface movement. The nozzles came with Rio pumps. The water output from each nozzle is about the same. The tube is 0.5in outer diameter I think. It's black and sits up along the trim so unless you are directly above or below the tank all you see is the 2 flare nozzles. I've glued it in place with hot glue, aquarium silicone, and super glue...it falls easily. Look in the previous pages of this thread to see pics of the way I ran the tubes...other than that I don't think I can get any better close up of the setup.

This is really simple to do and I think is well worth it.

well I absolutely hate the stock ph. It runs so hot it's sick.

I want to upgrade it and add an in tank with mult outputs like yours, but I refuse to buy a chiller. I want to run as simple as possible. I am adding a protein skimmer and nanocustoms light upgrade soon, but that is all. I just need to find some cool running PH's if i need 3 that will run a lower temp so be it. But I do not want to drill the glass. I bought it for the compactness and simplicity. I actually downsized from 100 gal, completely diy MH, 40gal sump, and the works. i like and enjoy this tank, and do not want this to be a diy from hell. ya know?

shao-lin nano

I ran into some problems with this DIY project but I wouldn't say it was from hell. Almost anything is possible with these cubes if you have some imagination. I too liked it's compactness and simplicity and tried to keep that in mind with everything I did. All in all I'm happy with the outcome.

Here's a mod I did last week. I was tired of having the clip on fan blowing at the open lid. Just coppied what others have already done. It does take away from the stock look but I tried to keep it clean. It's not wired up yet. I spray painted the chrome fan guards and machine screws a dark grey to better match the hood.

shao-lin nano

The fans are 80mm X 25mm DC fans used for PCs. I used a hole saw that's 76mm in diameter. Use a drill press if yu can, a hand drill will run all over the place. Just drill 4 mounting holes and cap it with a fan cover. The screws and fan guard comes in chrome so I just spray painted them.

shao-lin nano

I'm not sure how I want the fans to be blowing yet. Currently it's set up where both are blowing in. If I change it to one in one out then it would seem like a waste of a fan. I'll play with it and see which way works best. Since the 24g's splash guard is not sealed, maybe air can escape through the other exhaust fans I have.

My friend has a sigle fan set up on his 12g blowing in and it is working fine.

That is real cool, hopefully it keeps your cube really cool! Did you keep the reflector on the lid or no? and also why did you wire a rocker switch there? wouldn't it have been better to wire them on the same circuit as your other fans?

shao-lin nano
hey shaolin where did you find those beauties!

What are you refering to? The fans? Fans are from Fry's.

That is real cool, hopefully it keeps your cube really cool! Did you keep the reflector on the lid or no? and also why did you wire a rocker switch there? wouldn't it have been better to wire them on the same circuit as your other fans?

Ya I kept the reflector, just cut a hole into it for the fan. I want as much control as possible over all the components so it is on a seperate switch. If all fans are on the same switch I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough current to drive 7 fans total. I would like to hook up these two new fans to a reefkeeper eventually so they turn on and off based on temperature and not time.

that looks great! another great modificatin!

Thanks

shao-lin nano

I got them from all over. The zoos form Tongs in Fountain Valley, micros from a lfs in Roland Heights (cant remember the name...it's new), rainbow acans e. and blastos from a fellow reefer. I'm about to cut up the rainbow acan to split with a friend and sell a smaller frag to help pay for it...if you like I can save a peice for you or anyone else that's interested.

shao-lin nano

I reecently changed my 10k ushio bulb for a 20k aqualine bulb and it's amazing!!! I saw last night a 15k and 20k (400 something watt) bulb side by side and must say I like the 20k much more. I wasn't sure about the 20k since lots of people are trying the 14k and waiting for the 15k. I also switched out one of the 36W 50/50 PC for an actinic and enjoy the new look as well. All bulbs from nanocustoms/nanotuners!

Originally posted by shao-lin nano

I reecently changed my 10k ushio bulb for a 20k aqualine bulb and it's amazing!!!  I saw last night a 15k and 20k (400 something watt) bulb side by side and must say I like the 20k much more.  I wasn't sure about the 20k since lots of people are trying the 14k and waiting for the 15k.  I also switched out one of the 36W 50/50 PC for an actinic and enjoy the new look as well.  All bulbs from nanocustoms/nanotuners!

a nice.. new pic´s then plz :D

ps.. realy nice nano cube u have there!

shao-lin nano

Here's a FTS as of today:

FTS9-7-05.jpg

I was going to do a side by side of the 10K vs 20K but my camera's no good enough to show a great difference. I have a point and shoot digital camera that automatically ballances color and I don't know how to the change settings appropriately.

Here are some more pics of corals.

Pink Zoos:

pinkzoos9-7-05.jpg

2 new blastos a friend and I acquired couple of days ago. One on left is purple with green center and I don't even know how to describe the color of the second one, just see for yourself:

blaso29-7-05.jpg

blasto19-7-05.jpg

shao-lin nano
Your tank looks great Shao!

Any fish yet? What exactly did you use to glue the rocks to the back wall?

Thanks. There's no fish yet. I just ordered a 4-line wrasse so in a week or two I'll be getting my first fish for this tank!

I used aquarium silicone, hot glue, and expoxy. The silicone was easiest to work with but it's not very firm at holding the rocks after it cures. Epoxy was hardest to work with since its runny and doesn't hold the rocks in place; you have to hold it till it dries. Hot glue cools too fast but has a decent hold. I used 36 grit sandpaper to flatten the back sides before mounting it to the wall. I also filed down the contact points between rocks and used glue between them too. I made sure I left small caves and tunnels on the rock wall for small fish to hide and ledges up top for some sps.

Hey Jeremy, I met you today at Anthony's. Bro your tank is SWEET. Thanks for talking me into the micros, they are awesome underneath my Phoenix bulbs. The dendros are awesome as well.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Shaolin,

Beautiful and clean look on your fan modification. I always wanted to find a way to exhaust the heat from this area. I just invested in a 1/4 Artica chiller by JBJ and have a question for you.

Is the aquamedics chiller you have not enough to cool your little monster? I'm surprised that you need additional cooling. When I ran the ICA unit I was almost there in cooling.

Can you give me some feed back on heat issues that got you motivated to install the aquamedics and then the fans.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Jeremy, I met you today at Anthony's. Bro your tank is SWEET. Thanks for talking me into the micros, they are awesome underneath my Phoenix bulbs. The dendros are awesome as well.

Glad that you had a safe drive back...now you can make all your reef buddies jealous with the new pets you got. The dendros are really sweet and I'm jealous of all the micros you took home...just don't tell the wife how much you spent ;) Let me know when you're going to be back in town and maybe we can go shopping together agian. I'll take you to a couple of other places I frequent.

Archived