Pod Your Reef

Shao-lin's 24g nanocube

shao-lin nano

shao-lin nano

Thanks kappa.

I'm currently working on setting up my fuge in the second chamber. I've removed the black sticky paper only over the 2nd chamber. I'm going to get a 13W PC from hellolights and attach it to the stand from behind.

I know there are lots of you with LR rubble and macro alge in the back. Can someone tell me if you used some sort of plastic cover on the bottom glass before adding the rock or is it just laying on bare glass?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plastic you are talking about is a light diffuser. They have some at home depot, but it is painted chrome. I think they have an unpainted white 3/4" grids at home depot, but since the diffuser will be used beneath the sand, it does not matter if it is black or not. The black diffuser is sold at plastic suppliers and illumination distributers. I did not use it because I thought it might trap detritus beneath it, and make syphoning or stiring the sand a tougher job.

shao-lin nano

kappa:

i don't mean the egg crate that people use for prop tanks. I meant to ask if anyone is covering the bottom of the fuge in compartment 2 befroe adding the LR rubble or if it's safe to just place it on the bare glass.

SeanCallan:

I got it on Ebay from Aquabuys for around $150. Only thing I added was a project box to contain the ballast and a switch to turin it on and off. Let me know if you want me to include a pic of the box and switch I used (quite easy). The kit comes with reflector, 10k bulb, ballast, grounded power plug and some wiring stuff with simple instructions. Here's a great thread by artarmon for installing a 70W MH in a 12g NC hood:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=53382

cindyandjosh

can you explain how you did your water flow set up?

2) MJ 606 to 2 Rio flare nozels attached by black vinyl tubing running across top left of tank.

3) Return spout of Fluval 204 midway up the tank on right side "hidden" among rock wall.

The tubing would be something that I would be very intrested in doing.

shao-lin nano

cindyandjosh:

Here is a pic showing you how I hooked up the MJ 606 to black flex vinyl tubing. The MJ is housed in chamber 1. I had to make a little notch (U shaped) to house the hose so the hood can close w/o pressing on the tube. The tube is held in place with aquarium silicone and hot glue. It fits snugly under the trim so it is hidden:ninja:. The rio flare spouts are connected in series, first one is connected to a "T" and second one to an elbow or "L"

spray_bar.jpg

PH = maxijet power head 606

The fluval's intake is in chamber 1 and return is in chamber 3. I placed the return spout about mid-tank level on the right side up against some rocks on the rock wall so it is semi hidden:ninja:.

fluva.jpg

For the intake and return of the fluval I had to cut notches in the hood. Upside down U's or n's to accomadate the fluval hose...I made them extra tall so that in the open position, the hood does not press on the hose or move it.

shao-lin nano

Thanks for clearing that up stoney w.

It get's a little shimmer and then a lot when the hydor rotates and points towards the surface...so it's alternating, I like it.

The fan you see on the edge helps while it's on which is almost all the time since the weather here has been quite hot.

Hope the primitive line drawings illustrates the point clearly cindy/josh.

shao-lin nano

Here are the project boxes that I got from Fry's to house my ballasts for the 70W MH and 2X9W PCs. Both box have quick disconnect similar to the JBJ ones. Black one is the MH and silver one is the PC.

Complete Box:

packaged_ballast.jpg

Inside Box:

open_ballast.jpg

Hey Jeremy, thanks for lending your mad modding skillz to your (my) nano cousin (alas only 12 gal). I hope the hammer a long healthy life in your tank.

shao-lin nano

Thanks man, everyone I've met through nano-reef has been way cool but you've been by far the most awsome!

Trust me you'll love how clean your hood and stand mods will look!

shao-lin,

That lighting mod looks very clean, I like it.

Where did you find the quick connect cables? I have been looking all over for some.

shao-lin nano

Thanks guys.

The "quick disconnect" are not the same as JBJ's but work on the same princple.

The 9 watt ones were from Radio Shack. I couldn't find it on their website but it's in all their stores. It's a 6 foot cable with 2 male prongs on one side and 2 female on other. I just cut it in the middle and hooked it up.

The one for the MH was from ebay but is cheaper at any electronic component store. One end is a female part of power cable and other is male. Here is the female end:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...-102&type=store

HTH

shao-lin nano

There's a couple of things that help with the temp. A clip on fan blowing at the open lid, a titan 150 chiller, and 5 fans under the hood taking heat out. The exhaust vents are really warm....feels like a blow dryer.

The highest temp I've reached was a little over 82 degrees a couple of weeks ago when it was super hot at over 100 degrees for a week with high humidity. My daily temps start around high 77 or low 78 and finish around 80 point something degrees.

shao-lin nano

Thanks, the hood was the product of several weeks of planning, trial and error, and a little of luck and lots of imagination. If you (SeanCallan) or anyone else is interested in doing this mod or something similar I would be more than happy to walk you through it and share my mistakes.

I have a couple of mods left that I want to do. One being a rear fuge light lit from behind by pealing away the black sticky paper which I've already done. Second is one that PoochiePooh showed me which is placing a fan on the front lid to aid in cooling the tank via surface evaporation. Currently I have a clipon fan from WalMart clipped on an Ikea standing floor lamp blowing at the open top taking away from the clean look of the NanoCube. I'll post pics once I stop being lazy and get around to it.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I was brought over here from my thread and can only say, I'm really impressed...

I retired both my legend cubes and am so dazzled by your tank...

Can you post some pics from a distance? I want to see how clean your setup is... Plus I'm dying to see where that chiller and cannister filter are placed...

Mike

shao-lin nano

Glad you like it Mike, means a lot coming from someone with NanoCube credibility like you. It sucks to see you leave the NanoCube scene but if I could get my hands on your new setup I would ditch the cube as well.

The filter sits in the stand but the chiller sits next to it. The stand was too narrow by less than an inch to fit the chiller which really disappointed me. I think I could have modded the stand to fit the chiller but decided against it. I'll get pictures of the setup soon. I'll also post pics of my fuge light when it's done as well.

Archived