inTank Media Baskets

What type of camera do you use?

Sparkling_Surfer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey

what do you guys think of that nikon phoenix 100mm macro lens? I was thinking of getting that instead of the 70-300mm zoom lens. What do you guys think? Would that be a better lens or would i be able to do a lot more with the 70-300mm zoom lens?

here is the link to the 100mm macro:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AF-Mt-100mm-Macr...3QQcmdZViewItem

Also it claims on the cameta website that the 100mm macro can focus at 2.5 inches away. sound right?

I am trying to find out if i was going to only buy two lens, what would be the best ones to get. At this point i am thinking the standard 18-50mm and the 100mm macro. Any other recommendations that are under $150.00?

thanks

Thats the one that i was thinking about getting before. I looked at a couple reveiws and they all pretty much said that it had pretty good optical quality although the build quality is feels like a toy. If you type in the name of the lens into a search engine then you should get a few of the reviews.

oh crap!

i didn't realize that 100mm macro lens above isn't even made by nikon. the site made it look like it was.

if it's not made by nikon, then surely it is crap

I just ordered the body because i had a Nikkor lens from my 35mm nikon but the lens is a 28-80mm AF type G lens. I was reading though that because of the camera's sensor, the size of lens is increased by 50% so a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera is equivelent to a 75mm lens on a digital (i'm not sure if this applies to all digital SLRs or just the D50 though).

the pheonix is 1/6 of equivlent nikkor lens so if it does break though it isnt as big of a deal. I've been looking on ebay too and there are some pretty good deals on the nikkor micro lenses. They are used but if you get them proffesionally cleaned and serviced it should still be cheaper than brand new.

initialy, the stock lense is probebly better. When i was on vacation there were a couple times when i wished that i had a wider angle lens and the zoom wasnt quite as important.

You should definately be looking for a wideangle lens if you do any carry and shoot style shots.

In that instance, a wideangle should be kept on the camera to give you a lot of room from cropping and editing after the shot.

maybe i am making a huge mistake here...

i am not that much of a photographer really. I mainly am just looking for a nice camera that will allow me to tinker a bit. I don't really want to buy any extra lens.

would it be smarter just to get the coolpix 8800 with the 35-350mm lens and 12x optical zoom? would that give me better options with out having to buy a ton of lens?

i guess it is up to you but look at it this way, it is better to have a seperate daylight and actinic bulb then a 50/50 bulb. Its better to have 2 specialized lens than one camera that is supposed to do both.

sorry, by tinker i mean, be able to tinker w/ appature, iso, exposure, focusing, and what not.

i meant i want a camera in which i can do some tinkering to the camera rather than just the point and shoot.

i really like my 35mm SLR, can't wait to get the digital one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You cant go wrong with Nikon. I am currently shooting a D70 and just picked up the Nikon 105mm/2.8 Macro lens and that setup together rocks. The lens was quite expensive, but you just can't beat Nikon Optics.

Archived