Top Shelf Aquatics

What type of camera do you use?

Sparkling_Surfer

Sparkling_Surfer

I often find myself sitting in awe while looking at some of the pictures on this website. They're just gorgeous! So I figured I'd go straight to the source for answers...

I'm shopping for a digital camera to take pictures of wildlife & my aquarium...I really like the SLR style cameras with lots of zoom & good macro shots.

What type of cameras do you guys use for your aquarium shots? Could you post a sample picture along with the type of camera used?

I really appreciate it!!:)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a sony cybershot right now, but would really really like to upgrade to a nikon d-50 digital slr.

still have to pay off my new tank crap though, so that will be way down the road.

On the cyber-shot, what model number/number of megapixels?

Ah. Is it a good camera? My boyfriend's getting the T1, 5 MP.

yah. its pretty good. takes very nice pictures. sometimes it is a little trickier to use on reef pics. takes me a few shots usually to get a real clear, light correct pic. pretty good for the money though. (i think i paid 200 new for it like a year ago).

i would highly recommend getting one w/ macro mode though. i wish mine had that.

i wish i had not bought it so impulsivly though. i think i would have rather had a nikon coolpix.

oh well, i might upgrade to one of the higher end nikon cool pixs or hopefully one of their digital slrs. they are b*tchin.

I bought a Nikon coolpix, I "cheaped out" and bought the 4200. I'm happy with what I got for the price I paid... $120.

are those pics in your sig with the nikon? those are very nice shots. dang it....your all making me want to get a new camera.

i might just have to cheap out and get a coolpix. i have a hard time seeing any reason to spend 1000 dollars on a camera. i think like 400 is the max i would realistically want to spend. digital slr is so tempting though.

Nikon D70 for me... somewhere in the gallery are a couple pics. We took it to Cali on vacation with me. I liked being able to get really nice pics while moving (walking not driving) My next purchase will be a telephoto lens...

I have the Coolpix 4300 and have been quite happy with it, and the results. I just started looking into the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT (350D). I played with the Nikon D50 a bit, and it is big. The feel is very bulky compared to the Coolpix. Today will be my test of the Canon XT. I have also read great reviews of the new Canon G6, so hope to check that out also.

Bob

nice camera tigah [me drools]

can you change lens' on the that one? or does it have a physical zoom at all? i am sure it has digital zoom.

The 7900 is a nice camera... if I had another 250 in the budget It's what I would have likely gone for. ....but if I need REALLY nice pictures I've got good chemical photo equipment, I really still only use digital for snapshots. Another good camera in the range you might be looking at is the sony cybershot DSC-P200. It has a Carl Ziess lense, those have historicly been very good optics.

Yep, ya know I decided that for what I wanted 4mp was good enough.. I'm not going to be doing a bunch of big prints or anything. In another year or so the 10mp and up cameras will be much cheaper and at that's the point where you get resolution comperable to 35mm and I can think about truly replacing my chemical stuff.

lgreen - I looked at that camera yesterday. Very small, nice feel, and easy to hold. The only negatives I heard from three places was that is was SLOW. Slow to focus and very slow shutter lag time.

I loved the Size and the 7mp.

Bob

Go to General-- Coral dynamics---- and laugh I dont mind

I got a outdated POS and you can tell--lol

After more live stock gonna have to get a new camera :)

Izzue

This is one of my favourite shots taken with a fuji finepix S7000, 6x optical zoom, 6MP (I think), although the zoom dosent realy compare to an SLR camera, more of a gimmicky thing, and the CCD is nowhere near the size of that on something like the D70, so obviously isnt as good... but the price is also comensurate...

38763454.jpg

Archived