Top Shelf Aquatics

What type of camera do you use?

Sparkling_Surfer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The D50 is really not as big as it seems in pictures and it is very comfortable to hold. I carried it all around Europe for 2 weeks with no problem. I would say go with the D50 if you want to use the camera for other things besides just macro photography also. Because it is an SLR it can take pictures very quickly and starts up in less then a second so you never miss a picure (if you can get the end cap off in time, lol).

When you put it in auto also, it is just as much as a point and shoot camera as any other and it automatically ajusts the flash, shutter, aperture, etc.

thanks!

six, your pics make me drool. that leaves me very confused about which one to get, but confirms that i want nikon regardless!

pili, slr's in general are a little bit bigger than i care for. i guess i dont know yet. i can get the d50 w/ 2 lens and all the accessories for around a thousand, or get the 8800 for about 700 with a bag. Also at compusa by my house, they have the 8700 on clearance for like 539.

this is going to be a tuff one!

best prices (from a ligit place)

coolpix 8700 $499

coolpix 8800 $593

d50 dslr $827

yikes! quite a price diff.

FYI -

When I was researching ages ago and got my old Canon D30 I ran across the same issue where the Canon images looked a little soft. After more reading I came across an article where the Canon engineers decided not to apply any sharpening in the camera and leave that to the post processing. Hitting it with "unsharp mask" in photoshop sharpens mine up or give me the option to leave it the same. Again this was a few years ago so take it with a grain of salt. There's a setting in my D30 to tell it whether or not to apply sharpening.

Also, I haven't read the whole thread so you may already know this but compare pics taken with a high ISO setting. My 4yr old D30 SLR takes better pictures at ISO 400 than my brand new G6 at ISO 400. I hate using a flash and anytime I know I'll be taking pics in lower light and know I'll need to bump up the ISO I use the older SLR. High ISO images out of the G6 are too grainy for my liking. I got the G6 for closeup stuff and stills so it's rarely an issue.

HTH

~chris

Get a DSLR. You'll eventually regret buying even a higher end point-and-click.

In the end, there is just no comparison.

Also, the D50 and the 350D are similar in size, if that helps.

I agree. If you're worried about money I'd just go all out and get the digi SLR. Or else youre going to be in the same boat as me, sitting with a awesome digi, but drooling over the SLR.

You'll have no regrets getting right to the camera you're going to want in a month, lol.

well it is like another 100 dollars to get that same pack w/ a 1 gig card.

they have been having sd cards on sale at circuit city, best buy, and compusa, so i figured i could probably find a better deal on that. i figured i could get the cheap 256 mb card that is on sale for like 24.00, and then upgrade cards later when i can afford a bigger one.

not a bad price ($979) considering it includes a nikon 18-70 lens, and a nikon 70-300 lens. no tamron or sigma lens bs.

seems like that is the best deal that i can find w/ all the good accessories.

score!

just checked the nikon website, and it appears there is a $50 dollar mail in rebate on the nikor 70-300mm zoom lens.

i wonder if i can get that rebate w/ that cameta package?

lgreen, congrats on the Nikon D50. That was the other camera I was looking at. Have you played with it in the store yet. The only thing I didn't like was that it seemed a little bulky. I have pretty small hand, so it really felt big. Other that that, it was a great camera. I am sure you are going to love it. I am glad you decided against the Sigma and Tamaron lenses. The majority of them do not get very good reviews.

I received my Rebel XT yesterday, and can't wait to start shooting. Having had a point and shoot for so many years where you don't have to do anyting, I thnik I am going to like the challenge of figuring the camera out. The lens alone is bigger than my Nikon 4300. :)

Bob

i just bought a canon s2 is, unfortunately i found it for 399.00 later that same day($100 cheaper than i paid) :(

very nice bowfront.

that is a good one. got pretty good reviews too.

with the zoom and macro mode, it should take some great reef shots!

Here are a few pics that i took with the D50 on my trip to Europe. I guess the person who took the sample shots from the review had the same idea:P If you want the bigger pics, just email me.

Big Ben Clock Tower

9a8j7t

9a8h7d

Archived