Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official JBJ Nano Cube Announcement

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

I've had my nanocube 6 for over 3 months. Everything is fine. I lucked out. I am just glad jbj address their issues, seperate with those who can be adding to the problem, and now be able to pin-point the exact cause and work towards future tanks that will be something to be proud to be owned.

My g/f has a stock 12 gallon cube, for over 8 months I believe, that's fine too.

Good luck JBJ, I wait to see the future in your products, especially with the things you mention you have taken into consideration. (protein skimmer, top surface skimmer, better pump, less heat, chiller) That's truly the way to improve, hear the criticism and implement solutions in the products to follow.

Things make look bad for your tanks now, but I know this is something you guys can pull yourselves out of, and I believe you guys/gals care.

After all, JBJ's creation is what made it possible for other businesses to start up and begin modding your products hoods, and do their own innovations. Please keep us updated, and again good luck in the future of your products.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one is being organized....

And all you guys out there who have cubes that are "fine", mine was fine for 6 months. It was great. No defects. No imperfections. No hairline cracks. It ran and looked great. Then one day when I was out of town it broke.

If you do decide to keep your cube, I hope you use best practices with regards to your electrical equipment. Get those power strips and ballasts up off the floor. Mount them in a place that wont get wet when your tank goes. I almost lost everything I've worked for my whole life. I had 3K in damages from ONLY 24 gallons of salt water.

hmmm this is just a thought for Steve to chew on I do not have a Nano Cube and will not buy one in light of what has happened here and other things I've heard about them. there are thousands of people on this forum who have access to this thread and can form opinions from it. I think it was in poor taste to state the whys and what nots of your termination with nanocustoms when nano customs did not post anything in bad taste about your company. You look to place blame on others It was the shipping it was the the distributor ect. the fact that your glass is ill suited to its job. That is the reason tanks full of water are cracking and leaking I have many fish tanks from differnt makers and most have 1/4 glass walls on 10 gallon tanks which will hold nearly 100 pounds of water alone add in rocks and live stock since thats what the tank is meant for and the weight increases lets just say a gallon of water at an estimate weighs 10 pounds. for every gallon of water you're ideally supposed to have 1 pound of rock and one pound of substrate so thats 20 pounds extra right there plus the 100 that the water adds thats 120 pounds without any fish or corals now I'm not saying they add signifigant weight but a fully stocked 10 gallon can reach these weights easily so why not account for water pressure and reinforce the glass strength its quite apparent that the glass is fairly weak if it is cracking and breaking on arrival. it should be able to take some bumping without shattering there is a level of saftey that needs to be addressed having that much water in such a small area. glass should be tested and re tested thats what quality control is for. I'll stick with my rectangular box it may not be the very most appealing but it's strong and reinforced and I dont worry about it causing damage to my home unlike many nanocube owners as of late.

Originally posted by JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

2. There has also been an issue of misrepresentation of JBJ on behalf of Nanocustoms regarding warranty claims and inaccurate information stated to customer(s). We would like to state that Nanocustoms is not affiliated with JBJ, but was a reseller. He does not have the authority to approve claims and should not be used as the liason when making a claim. This will only delay the claim process and may lead to misinformation. I would not like to get into the details of this so I will leave it at that. I just wanted people to also hear the other side. I just don't believe that because he voiced his opinion about cracked/broken concerns that JBJ would terminate him. If that were the case, I wouldn't have been authorized to handle anyones claim since the people on this forum have also voiced their opinions.  

Funny that JBJ would say that Chris at nanocustoms is misrepresenting JBJ and approving claims. When my 24g dx cracked, the first thing Chris said to me was that he'l take care of me, but I gotta send an email to JBJ to file a claim. After Steve responded and said that he will work with Chris to send me out a new tank. So it was Steve himself that authorized the claim and never did Steve claim that he was part of JBJ or authorizing any claims whatsoever.

I have to say that this decision by Steve/JBJ will have it consequences. I know RC has heard about it and so will the forum that I moderate which deals with both SW and FW.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but thought I'd mention it here. I've been in the hobby a long time. When PC's were big, everyone considered JBJ to be one of the worst in the industry. So it was an absolute shock when JBJ came out with the NC, it seemed to be such a great product.

Now I see that it was most definitely too good to be true. I'm bummed they got some of my business, but I will be letting hobbyists know the issues.

And as a Marketing executive I am absolutely astonished at the handling of this situation.

JBJ- seems kinda fishy that you would claim that Chris arbitrarily granted/approved warranties, esp when you personally answered those requests.

Save some face and apologize to chris.

Current USA seems to appreciate his value.

-Hank

Steve-

FYI

The proper packing method is this:

for a 24g:

24 x 24 x 24 DOUBLE WALL CORRUGATED BOX - 5.00 or so

1/2" INdustrial Aircap Bubble - 2 layers on the bottom

Put the tank in.

Peanuts half way.

1/2" Industrial Aircap Bubble Rolled so that it can "brace" the tank

Peanuts the remainder of the way

2 layers of aircap on the top.

the cost of packaging is about 10 per box.

What you create is a "matrix" of packaging material, most engineers understand this concept as increasing the bulk modulus. Its the theory behind the stregth of carbon fiber sandwiches and lots of

other things. Do this and you should be successful with replacements.

Dont try to blame it on shipping, it can and is done on a daily basis.

Address the real issue.

I ship these things all day via Fedex Ground and have had a very good success rate. Just asking UPS wont help. I had to get my packages certified by Fedex for some extra TEETH.

Chris

When you put a tank in with just peanuts, it wobbles around and gets banged around. Peanuts are not for impact resistance, its for void fill. Industrial bubble is for impact resistance for long/short cycle shipping. You can stand on the bubbles and they wont pop.

I learned this lesson in DECEMBER 2004.

You have to use the good stuff.

The aircap bubble is 85 bucks for a 75 foot roll. So each foot is about a dollar.

Hope this helps

Chris

Way to be the better man Chris.

Call me crazy, but is this JBJ's #### poor effort to say, shipping is the cause of the damage?

They cant even pack things right.

Its like the kid who's too lazy to do something and says lamentably, "i didnt do it cause i dont know how".

Come on JBJ, step it up.

If youre gonna blame shipping, pull the line from online retailers. See if Dr Fosters, Petsolutions, etc have the same shipping issues. My money says their not.

Add that to the fact that a good majority of the cubes are purchased at the LFS vs Internet. SCAPEGOATER!!!

- Hank

to file a law suit against a company for a GLASS fish tank is a joke. this is an example of the problem with our legal system.

anyone that thinks they will see a penny from this is completely ignorant.

even though im happy w/ my nanocubes, there does seem to potential issues with the nc. that will be hopefully addressed by the manufacturer, but if you dont like it, DONT BUY IT. its that simple.

Cellenzweig
to file a law suit against a company for a GLASS fish tank is a joke. this is an example of the problem with our legal system.

anyone that thinks they will see a penny from this is completely ignorant.

Why is that? If the product has a design flaw and it causes damages to another, the manufacturer/importer/distributer is liable. It's called product liability. I work in the insurance industry and we subrogate against companies for liability every day - and we generally win.

Originally posted by embryoguy

what is a scapegoater???????? not familar with this level of teminology.

According to Websters

scape·goat ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skpgt)

n.

1. One that is made to bear the blame of others.

2. Bible. A live goat over whose head Aaron confessed all the sins of the children of Israel on the Day of Atonement. The goat, symbolically bearing their sins, was then sent into the wilderness.

tr.v. scape·goat·ed, scape·goat·ing, scape·goats

To make a scapegoat of.

I'm a relative noob in the realm of nano's but not in the hobby in general.

Some time ago, when AGA came out with their 95g "Wave" aquarium, they had found that a good percentage of their glass was out of specification and initiated a voluntary product recall.

In total, 751 units were returned and destroyed and the customers were well taken care of, not because the units WERE breaking, but because they had the potential to break.

This is an example of good business ethics where a company values the safety of thier customers over profit.

In this situation, it was a voluntary recall, they didnt wait to act, and as a result, although customers were upset, they didnt wind up with damage to property, livestock, or life.

Its time for JBJ to step up to the plate and recall the 24g, where its not only the potential for failure, but where failures have been occurring at (informal poll) 20%.

Embryo-

The legal grounds for a lawsuit are in response to what happens if JBJ doesn't recall the product. If JBJ knowingly continues to market a flawed/inferior design, thats whats called negligence.

With negligence, the little "we are not responsible for livestock/property damage" they state in thier crappy warranty, goes out the window, and all is fair in determining the settlement amounts.

Im pretty confident that someone has filed some complaints with the US Consumer Products Safety commission.

If they dont react fast, the government will force a recall on their dime and shut them down if they dont comply.

The clock is ticking..

- Hank

According to sNEIRBO's Dictionary -

scape·goat·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skpgtr)

n.

1. A person who tries to deflect the blame on to another non-relevent cause, thus avoiding any guilt, shame or dishonor.

2. A person who rides a board roughly 36 inches by 9 inches with wheels afixed to the bottom by means of two independent axles, and can minipulate said board with such gravity defying tricks as to draw the awe and envy of all ages - wait a minute . . . that's a SKATEBOARDER - sorry.

Also see -

scape·goat·ie (the person who has been "scapegoated", not to be confused with "scapegoatee" which is a beard / mustache combination worn by a "scapegoater")

scape·goat·ers (a group of people committing the act of "scapegoating"),

scape·goat·er·iz·a·tion (the ability to use multiple deflections at the same time to avoid guilt, shame or dishonor)

:D{smile it's Friday and your Nano Cube hasn't exploded yet!)

sneirbo, thanks for the defn! :)

why dont people sell there nanocubes if your so worried and unhappy with it?

or do people just like to complain.....

Cellenzweig
Also see -

scape·goat·ie (the person who has been "scapegoated", not to be confused with "scapegoatee" which is a beard / mustache combination worn by a "scapegoater")

scape·goat·ers (a group of people committing the act of "scapegoating"),

scape·goat·er·iz·a·tion (the ability to use multiple deflections at the same time to avoid guilt, shame or dishonor)

LMAO!:D

FOR SALE - slightly "used" 24 Gallon Nano Cube DX w/ Nite Vue Moonlights. Shipped directly to you via JBJ's preferred shipping method - UPS Ground. Includes - hood, w/ 72W CF lighting, 290GPH stock pump, filter media, and tank. Livestock not included. See picture for details. $215 OBO. (313) YEAH-RIGHT.

14612As_Received_-_resized_copy.jpg

I LOVE my Nano Cube just like I LOVE Puppies - as long as they're not spilling water all over my carpet! Have you ever tried to rub a Nano Cube's nose in the mess it just made. The damned things just don't learn! BAD NANO CUBE! BAD!

ALSO FOR SALE - 1974 slightly "used" Ford Pinto. Low mileage, clean, only drove to Church on Sundays. MUST SEE PHOTO $1,500 OBO (313) GR8-DEAL

pinto.jpg

Archived