Pod Your Reef

Official JBJ Nano Cube Announcement

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Hello everyone,

A few threads have been brought to our attention via emails regarding the concern for cracked/broken tanks.

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum who has supported our line of Nano-Cube Aquariums. We would like to state that we have sold thousands of Nano-Cubes per month with a total return rate of 3.25%, accounting for damaged parts, defective electrical equipment, and broken tanks.

We would like to explain the transport of Nano Cubes to help you better understand the shipping and handling process. We receive weekly containers of Nano Cubes that are shipped via freight liners from Asia. Once the containers arrive at port they are unloaded and shipped via trucking to our warehouse. Upon arrival, we open EVERY Nano-Cube and check for damages, operation of the fans, operation of lights, LED's, and pump motor. After final inspections are completed we make arrangements for delivery via trucking by pallet load. Then many of our online dealers will re-pack individually for shipout for online customers.

Recently, there has been a rise in the broken tank category that we are looking into. We have noticed that over 70% of "broken" tank claims have been purchased over the internet or have been modified from its' original design. Although our warranty states that we do not cover "modified" products we have honored the warranty on modified Nano Cubes in the past. We will no longer offer warranty coverage for modified Nano Cubes purchased after 07-01-05. All current owners of modified Nano Cubes will be covered if purchased before 07-01-05.

We are currently working on stronger exterior boxes and more styrafoam insulation for the interior to handle rougher shipping and handling.

We would like to assure ALL Nano-Cube Owners that we stand firmly behind our products and will make every attempt to keep our "Nano-Cube Owners Satisfied" in the unlikely event you experience any concerns with cracks or breaks.

Please email me if you have any concerns or questions regarding your product.

Thank you once again for your support and patience,

Sincerely,

Steven Yim

National Sales Mgr.

Email: support@jbjlighting.com

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DKreefkeepers

3.25% damage return rate.... That is not a bad figure when you are dealing with mass production on ANY product that has as many variables and working parts as these things do.

Thanks for the post. I have over $1500 into this Nano Cube and after all of these cracked tanks posted and a few local that people that I knew I am so worried about everything in mine. I have a flaw on the glass that I noticed after about 2 months. It is on the front of the glass and has scared me more now since these posts have come out. The glass is bowed and is blurry at that point. I have pondered about buying another tank to move things over. I appreciate you coming on here to post about the tank and the issues. I have tried to get a photo of the flaw but of course it does not show up on my pictures.

Thanks, worried customer...

Jason Webb

jbass, do you have the original nc and the new one? i do. and it is an imporovment. im happy jbj stated the 3% return rate. bec i m sure there are thousands of ncs that are fine. i have 4 and all bought online , perfectly fine.

for the price, its a very good tank.

if you dont like it, just dotn buy it. the reality is this is a GLASS tank , GLASS BREAK......

it happens. but at a %3 rate. ill take the chance .

3.25% is the return rate, but not everybody returns a broken nano cube. Most people seem to fix it themselves, or replace a part. The figure should be higher for Actual defective units.

Well...if this is JBJ's official post site, I'd like to 'register now' as having a purchased a 24G Nano Cube on 02/22/05. Can JBJ start a site to register those with cracked cubes? What's your advice on this Chris and JBJ? Mr. Yim, if this is true what you posted, I think it is a fair thing that you are doing and many of us will hang in with the NC. SH

JBJ stepped up to the plate yesterday, both here with this public post and privately through several e-mails with me. So, now I guess it's my turn -

I will say that Steve was as pleasant to deal with personally, as he was professionally here on this post. JBJ has agreed to replace my second cube, as well as the stand that I originally purchased, free of charge. Steve even promised to personally inspect the Cube before it leaves CA today. As of this morning the cracks in Beta-Cube have not propagated, nor multiplied. I am hopeful that Gamma-Cube that Steve is shipping out today will be defect free and return my piece of mind concerning my little biotope.

During correspondence between Steve and I, I suggested that JBJ should consider some form of surface skimmer on the next itterations of the Nano Cube. Steve said that he would pass that request on to the design staff. I for one had always figured that JBJ knew of this forum and if they were not actively participating, were at least watching and learning. Steve if no one from JBJ was aware of this forum before these incidents brought you to us, I would suggest that this is at least worth a weekly peak from someone at JBJ. There is a ton of useful info contained here, and you can see / learn what we as hobbyists are doing with your product. If you haven't already checked them out, look for posts concerning the Cassette Tape Skimmer, Hydor Flo modification, Chamber 2 Fuge setups and lighting, and NanoBob's Surface Skimmer.

I do love this product despite the problems of the past 10 days. I know I've gotten more enjoyment than agrevation out of this hobby and the Nano Cube product. I'm looking forward to what JBJ and Nano Cube will bring to the market next.

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

To follow-up on chris's post about packing and shipping I thought I'd offer some additional information.

When a package is shipped UPS Ground it goes through their automated conveyor system and has other packages falling on it, etc. Not the most gentle handling. If a package is sent 2nd Day Air or NDA it is handled differently and the handling is more gentle. The cost is higher but may be well wirth it.

DKreefkeepers

When a package is shipped UPS Ground it goes through their automated conveyor system and has other packages falling on it, etc. Not the most gentle handling. If a package is sent 2nd Day Air or NDA it is handled differently and the handling is more gentle. The cost is higher but may be well wirth it.

UPS is not a nice place! I work with 3 former employees and I deal with them personally everyday with shipping and recieving. The stories that I heard about things that go on in the "sort isle" are amazing. Amazing that anything arrives undamaged from that place. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that can be thrown, will be. Wild enough, anything that is over 70lb gets a special tag and when trucks arrive with goods over 70lbs a "train" (small engined car with several trailers) drives around and 2 guys load all the packages over 70lb so even though they weigh more they are more carefully handled. Imagine a place that has supevisors everywhere that are yelling at you to go faster faster faster and to "get those boxes off that truck!" There is just so much importance placed on moving boxes at that place that there is no time to do nothing but literally throw your packages upwards of 10' onto a conveyor belt that other boxes have been thrown onto. They stack 7,8,9,10 high sometimes and they stack big to little reguardless of weight. Basically they boxes that our tanks come in are prime canidates for being on or very close to the bottom with anywhere from I would say a range of 50-200lbs stacked on top of it for a period of time and while in transit to another hub to be delivered.

I think its very admireable that jbj has made an effort to individual customers. has anyone filed a claim against the shippers? GLASS can break during shipping.

there has been so many neg. comments about the nc/jbj. but keep in mind there tanks are very cheap!. everyone wants thicker glass, better filter, more lighting.etc etc etc, but are you willing to play alot more? this is the reason for nanocustoms. but for a stock system there is nothing even close on the market to what jbj offers for the price. nothing is perfect.but where would this site even be without the nano cube?

I had my NC6 crack in three days of buying it and it wasnt ordered online. I dont think these are perfect tanks but I also wouldnt think they would break so easily. I just hope they find the flaw becuase I love the design. I dont think its the shippers fault unless it was broken at the time of arrival but if peoples cubes are breaking weeks after it being delivered is it still the shippers fault?

Originally posted by sNEIRBO

I do love this product despite the problems of the past 10 days.  

wow, somebody was really sweet talked! Aren't you the same person who just said a couple of days ago "love the hobby, hate the nanocube!"?

Originally posted by calvin

wow, somebody was really sweet talked!  Aren't you the same person who just said a couple of days ago "love the hobby, hate the nanocube!"?

It's amazing what good customer service can do to change your mind about a product no matter how mad it may have made you at one point in time.

To Embryoguy...yes...it's worth a little more, to me, for the most important part of your tank to hold up...the walls. You can skimp on a pump, tubing, lights, fans, fuges......but not what's holding in your entire investment. The wall IS the tank..it brings the ocean into your home ...and NOT on your rug and parkay floors. SH

Or cause a fire from the water spilling all over your electrical equipment while your a sleep or away from home.

I have already once in my life had a house fire from a SW tank and would like to not have another.:)

There are more cracks being reported...Nico, VBA...and 3 out of 4 tank recipients from the ebay auction that I bought from were cracking as well. I hope JBJ comes thru. SH

Hello again,

I just wanted to re-state that if anyone has a concern with their Nano Cube (6g, 12OG, 12DX, or 24DX) we will definitely be here to provide support.

MAKING A CLAIM:

1) Please email us at warranty@jbjlighting.com with your name, address, and a return phone number.

2) If possible, please also send digital photos of the crack/break.

3) Also attach a receipt for proof of purchase.

4) We will then start your claim and contact you on when and how a replacement will be sent.

Worried About a Stress Crack:

1) Please inspect your tanks thoroughly, if you see a stress crack please follow instructions for "Making a Claim:

Modifications on Future Nano Cubes:

1) I have read through many of the "mods" that many of the hobbyists are adding to their Nano Cubes and we will try incorporating them into our next generation models. Your input is greatly appreciated!

2) I will also be checking this forum on a more regular basis so if there is any other comments or concerns please feel free to post it or email me directly to

steve@jbjlighting.com

Comments:

Webguy - Jason Webb/ Flawed Glass - email directly so I get to work on getting you a replacement.

Steelhealr - You don't have to worry about registering directly, as I mentioned everyone who has a concern with crack/breakage will be taken care. You can also email with your phone number and I will gladly return your call to help you out.

Onthelamb - Have you already been taken care of by the retailer? If not please email me..

sNeirbo - Thanks for your patience and suggestions for future mods.

Thanks again to everyone for their support and patience,

Steven Yim

Originally posted by calvin

wow, somebody was really sweet talked!  Aren't you the same person who just said a couple of days ago "love the hobby, hate the nanocube!"?

Calmer heads have prevailed. Everything looks better in the morning light.

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

Love the Hobby!

Love the Cube!

For all involved, JBJ called me today and they are replacing my tank. Whew. Was getting worried. I do want to at least thank them for following through on their warranty and promise. I also want to thank Chris at nanocustoms.com. Although we've never met Chris, thank you for supporting me. I didn't realize that my thread would have grown like the way it has when I was just trying to put in print 'directions' that never came with the tank. SH

For all involved, JBJ called me today and they are replacing my tank. Whew. Was getting worried. I do want to at least thank them for following through on their warranty and promise. I also want to thank Chris at nanocustoms.com. Although we've never met Chris, thank you for supporting me. I didn't realize that my thread would have grown like the way it has when I was just trying to put in print 'directions' that never came with the tank. SH

Archived