Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official JBJ Nano Cube Announcement

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Gosh, I was very lucky. I bought tank on Ebay and it was shipped DHL. It was quite less than any place I could get locally even with the $30 shipping. I checked very carefully with a bright light and there where no defects of any kind. The cover even fit correctly on the tank! Quite unlike my 12 gallon Nano Cube....Of course I did have to replace the stock powerhead it was just to loud for my bedroom.

Steve

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be my last post on this subject. I'm going to be blunt. You are spending money on a cheap product. You are having the wool pulled over your eyes by JBJ because they are trying to stop the bad publicity.

Don't ask a stupid question like "What should I give up..." You know perfectly well that it is the nanocube. The money you have invested will be much safer in another system and you know that. You can deny it all you want, but after three tanks have had issues?

I really want the people on this forum to make out well in the end since everyone has been quite helpful to me. I don't know Nano-reefing all that well and I don't claim to, but one thing I do know well is engineering and how to mitigate risk. Drop the cube, get something else. You may not like the shape as much, but your investment will be safer.

Another defective cube?

If JBJ wants to step up, they need to take them off the shelves and websites.

This is just plain ridiculous now!!!

Wow sNEIRBO, I can't beleive that. My replacement is suppose to be shipped out this week. Will see what happens.:)

Steven has been very helpfull, I just hope things work out and it holds together.

I also have been looking at other tanks. This one just happened to fit where I needed it to, and I like the look of it. I have been looking at a Bow Front Glass Tank that is larger but at this point I am unsure what to do.

Delta-Cube arrived intact. I inspected it with a fine tooth comb - I do NOT see any evidence of cracks anywhere on the tank - not on the curves, not top, not bottom, not in the sump area.

I'm in the process of wet testing the new tank before I transfer everything. Filled with SW, just in case. If Beta-Cube POPs, at least I have Delta-Cube filled and ready to go.

Calvin -

Thanks for the heads up on the eBay listing for that 25 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium. I think that's the same one I saw at my LFS, but about 1/2 as much. I really appreciate your offer of letting me use your discount! But as you can see above, Delta-Cube showed up undamaged. THANKS AGAIN! That was AWESOME of you!!

It's reasons like that, that I LOVE this Hobby, and this forum - it seems to attract really nice people!

Ok, Replacement #1. Showed up well packed, in a box, in another box, foam sheets and foam peanuts and guess what..

Cracked, top left hand corner starting from the bend behind the plastic peice down and back up.

Called and emailed them and going for shipment #2. It's going to turn out like sNEIRBO run huh.:)

I don't have a dog in this fight, and the way things are looking I may be doing without the item I want until things improve, but I made new post about stress relieving on glass. It wa after that post it dawned on me that my neighbor (about 4 miles down the road) works at NOrment Glass industries which is a major manufact of glass products mainly bullet proof glas and sky scraper type windows etc.....I give him a call and asked a few question and supplied him with the URL to this forum........He decided to come up to my place and has been looking at the various discriptions of cracks etc and has a few opinions on what is wrong and why they crack. For one he has neve rput his eyeballs on a NC, but its all together possible with the way the glass is formed, and adhered to the back wall the pressure of the water on the sides will make it flex, and if the tank has any minute scratches that you can see or feel with your fingernail its just an potential crack waiting to happen. I showed him my 55 and 75 gal tanks wi=hich have lots of scratches form moving gravel and such in them over the years, and his reply was yes, they m ay be scratched, but its a flat pane with very little bow in it and its a relaxed piece of glass with no undue tensons on one side more than the other that was created during manufacture, like a tank with a U shaped glass thaty has stress from being formed, and a small scratch and outward pressure or a jarring could easly make that scratch propagate and go through completely jusy like when you cut glass. Its merely a controlled uniform scratch, and then a slight bit of pressure is added and it snaps on that scribed scratched line......His opinion is, and once again never put eyeballs on one, is the forming process is causing minute scratches from dirty or defective forming dies/plates, it was scratched minutely during manufacture, the top frame does not give sufficient support to keep bowing of side glass, or the glass has not been stress releived after formng. It takes only a slight amount of pressure on a piece of glass with a scratch to create a crack.......

They routinely ship formed glass but always put a tape over the glass, and in this case with the shape possibly a wide strip of tape on the outside of the tank from corner across the front and back to opposite corner would do more than the peanuts packed inside. The peanuts inside do relatively anything at all to protect the glass, unless loose items are packed inside the tank which really should not be packed like that anyhow. The tape helps absorb any vibrations which can crack or stress glass, as its in firm contact with the item unlike peanuts, and more or less creates a a larger area that absorbs these vibrations and reduces any free flexing.

Like I said I do not have a dog in this fight, but want a NANO cube, so I have a big interest in these things, before I plunk down my retirement check, and btw, this friend of mine is an engineer and been doing nothing but glass stuff for over 35 years.

Just my 2 cents worth added

I agree, it's not shipping anymore!! There is something wrong with them and they need to step up to the plate. I am just to the point where I am going to just buy something else and take my loss. I love the design of the Nano Cube and that is one of the main reasons I bought it to begin with. I hope my second tank makes it here ok. But even then I still don't feel well about running the tank. My almost $2000 investment at this point would all be lost. I have had other tanks in the past all of them glass and never one issue. Now these were not bowed front glass but there are other tanks out there with the same idea and there not breaking or cracking and spilling all over your carpet, or worse starting a FIRE!.

<------------- Really worried Customer Here!

steelhealr

Hi...I haven't posted on the JBJ site for awhile after some negative posts here, but, unless anyone here can give evidence to the contrary to chipmaker's post, I find it very convincing. The re-shipped cube has multiple glass defects. Chipmaker, thanks for weighing in on this. I will review it with a glazier also if I can. SH

1st Attempt!

Ok, here is the pic of the new replacement tank that I received today. I actually thought it was refurbished it was so dirty inside the tank. I guess that's from setting in the box? I don't know.

jbj_broke_1.jpg

My tank also came in today, very much dirtier than your tank. There were 2 scratches, 3" and 5".....which I thought were....turned out to be silicone spills. But my tank was so dirty the spills looked and felt like scratches. After a nice rinse (wanted to send JBJ a clean picture) and feeling the cracks (couldnt believe there were cracks), turned out to be silicone spills. Whew!!! Been doing a wet test for the past 12 hours now.

Originally posted by yellowbird53

This is not a cracking issue but an unanswered, as yet, by JBJ, problem, that by concencious, is a wide spread problem.

The stock pumps used in the 24g DX overheat.  The overheating gets progressivly worse with time.  I have had mine up for 4 months, and I am at the point now where I get a 2-3 water temp rise within two hours of activating pump.  Water temps return to normal after pump is deactivated.  

This is a pump problem, and should be addressed by JBJ.  Please respond JBJ, and any Nano-er's w/the same issue, your .02 would be appreciated.  

Start a new thread if youy want to respond, JBJ, but please dop.  all email to JBJ are unanswered.  

Please help.  Thanks.

Namaste

R

If they were to truly listen to the customers' suggestions - I would definitely be buying a new model, even tho I already have a new one a few months ago.

In fairness to all, if you feelt hat JBJ has come up with an inferior product, then just let go and look for a different brand tank. However, I like most of you have been so attached to the Nano Cube, its so hard to let go, seriously....The only way is to deal with it and just repeat the proccess over and over until JBJ improves the Nano Cube by ten fold. If it cracks, report it and just wait for the results....in the end it would still be very frustrating. A friend of mine who also has a nano reef (minibow) has been against the Nano Cube from the very start but I just cant help it, the Nano Cube is 100% more appealing. But thats my opinion.

steelhealr
The only way is to deal with it and just repeat the proccess over and over until JBJ improves the Nano Cube by ten fold.

..tell that to sNEIRBO's homeowner's insurance adjuster....SH

yellowbird53
Originally posted by Enrique

In fairness to all, if you feelt hat JBJ has come up with an inferior product, then just let go and look for a different brand tank. However, I like most of you have been so attached to the Nano Cube, its so hard to let go, seriously....The only way is to deal with it and just repeat the proccess over and over until JBJ improves the Nano Cube by ten fold. If it cracks, report it and just wait for the results....in the end it would still be very frustrating. A friend of mine who also has a nano reef (minibow) has been against the Nano Cube from the very start but I just cant help it, the Nano Cube is 100% more appealing. But thats my opinion.

Nothing in my opinion beats the lines and function of design of the JBJ product.

They are trying to appease their customers. I recieved not one, but two new pumps from them next day air. Not bad....

yellowbird53
Originally posted by Enrique

Nothing in my opinion beats the lines and function of design of the JBJ product.

They are trying to appease their customers. I recieved not one, but two new pumps from them next day air. Not bad....

I'm glad some of you see it the way I see it, not my way, "the way". I got in touch with Steven Yim, I told him that the tank I recieved had no cracks....but did have many imperfections on it....now the way I see it, these imperfection will always be on any Nano Cube at least within the next 10-20,000 tanks. So I told Mr. Yim that the tank with imperfections will do, if it cracks or shatters within the next 6 months I'll let him know. But if it cracks after 6 months, then thats my problem. By then I should decide whether I should stick to JBJ or not. Because honestly, this will never end, it'll just go on forever. And that can be very frustrating to any Nano-Reefer. However, I speak for myself in this and dont want to offend anyone if you think I am wrong....we all have different views.

So after looking at things further I know what broke the tank when shipped from JBJ! They packed it really well and used tons of peanuts and foam. But what they did not do is tape down or secure the ballast. It is shipped inside the tank! It is loose, just bouncing around. I am sure since the box has no top arrows or anything it was picked up upside down many times. Well of course, with the weight of the ballast and being picked up upside down or sideways it bounced around. One hit from that heavy box hitting the top of the tank or the side would of course break it. So JBJ and Steve if your reading. Please secure the ballast boxes down before shipping. I guarantee that is what broke this tank when shipped.:)

Also, make sure you include my condo # on my next shipment. My UPS man knows me and that is the only reason it made it here. It is on my receipt and my emails.

Thanks,

Jason Webb

Web Guy, I agree with you, when my tank came in, the ballast wasnt secured to the tank, no tape at all, infact no peanut foam inside the tank itself. I'm surprised my tank didnt break, no foam, the box was totally mangled, with holes on the side, like as though somebody wanted to get in the box. I guess I was one of the few lucky ones. And it was also on the 2nd delivery notice. Lucky is all I can say.

Correct, Mine also had no peanuts or anything inside the tank. Just a loose heavy ballast in a box! I know when mine shipped from Petsolution they had peanuts inside the tank I am sure and I know it was secured down with tape. I remember complaining about getting of the sticky from the tape.

steelhealr

Sorry...I have to break with Enrique. People purchasing a Nano Cube deserve to get one without imperfections that may affect glass performance/strength. SH

steelhealr

Sorry...I have to break with Enrique. People purchasing a Nano Cube deserve to get one without imperfections that may affect glass performance/strength. SH

Archived