Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stop!! Do Not Buy A Nano Cube

steelhealr

Good luck getting your money back, or a new tank from JBJ. I had a 24NC DX crack on me in Jan. 4 days after I set it up. The LFS said sorry, b/c you din't buy our stand we can't do anything. What a load of BS! So, I went to JBJ. They had me send them a picture and a picture of the reciept, which I did. Guess what they said "Sorry it was a shipping falt and not a manufacturing defect. Luck for JBJ I was so anxious to get back into salt water that I went ahead and bought another and set it up. It has been set up now for 7mths and no problems yet!

Benjie

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to begin I'm a newbie. I'm very, very dissapointed I have just found 2 cracks on my cube 24 dx. They are both hairline looking. Both are on each front corners. I'm totally shocked and confused. I don't know what to do. From the horrors I'm reading I might just wake up to water on my floor of my living room anytime soon. Maybe I will buy an oceanic bowfront 46 gl . The reason I bought the cube was that everything came together, i'm going to have to figure out how to put it together now myself. Going to my lfs see what they tell me. Thats where I bought my cube.....this is really nerve raking you don't know when the tank might just go now....

MCTAINO,

Please be careful. If I were you I would NOT take any more chances. Luckily I was home and not only heard the tank crack but I was able to observe it SPLIT from top to bottom on the right side "curved" portion of glass. I immediately yanked the electrical cords from the outlet. It was my first setup. I was very proud of the time and effort I put into it. Not to mention the money all the money I wasted. For all of you that still possess a JBJNANO, I don't know how you are able enjoy your Cube, knowing at any time, it could become not only a disaster, but a safety risk! JBJ=Just Buy Junk. I am sorry, you folks might say that I am ruining it for the people that still have functioning Nanos, but consider how I feel at this time, having lost my entire 24 gallon reef! I wish that someone had warned me. It appears that I am NOT the only victim.

steelhealr,

I put a post up on my employers bulletin borad and I was able to give away all of my Marshall Island Rock. Rather than sell all of it back to my LFS for his offering of $25.00!! If only he would have been a little bit more considerate. I was purchasing all of my odds and ends from him, not to mention I would have purchased all my fish as well. Now I will never go back to him. I know I have to get "back on the horse", after this disaster. I was looking through an Oceanic catalogue today and was dreaming about owning their 72 Bowfront with the stainless/black hood and stand. I guesss I will start saving my pennies. Thanks for your encourgement, (Doc).

NanoCop...I'm happy that you aren't giving up. Like I said in my PM, we have similar family setups.....don't give up the fun and interest of having a nano tank or any marine system for that matter, based on a poor outcome from a poorly designed AND managed tank.

Personally, I think your lfs sold you out. I'm sure that every nano reefer reading this post will feel the same way. Perhaps you should post the lfs so others here would be aware of how he/she treated one of their customers. There is a vender thread for doing so.

Why don't you look into the AquaPod. If you like Oceanic, their 30G is a really solid tank and there are a few threads here on that one. Why not post a request for reputable lfs' in your area? SH

Im 2 months into my tank fully cicled couple live rocks 2 clown fish

cleaner shrimp . I also have a sponge I just bought 4 days ago was just going to start with corals. It's weird one of my cracks are in the same area as nanocop "right side "curved" portion of glass" not only on the right but I also have it on the left. I'm really considering getting a bowfront 46gl tank and putting it together. What brand or company would you guys suggest for a tank that size?

I don't want to keep butting in, but I'd like to share that the M-Tank is coming out soon with a 20 gallon all in one inclusive with HQI. It's acrylic. All finnex m-tanks are acrylic, and like the NC's, come with everything you need minus heater, LS, LR of course.

http://www.finnex.net/

It's a great choice! I just ordered my 32 gallon bowfront for $350 on ebay. It comes with a trickle filter or wet/dry, a venturi skimmer w/ 314gph pump, 345gph return pump, overflow, 110watts PC lighting (though I'm upgrading), and some other good stuff. It's a really nice acrylic setup, and I haven't heard anyone having problems with it, so the m-tank would be another replacement option.

nano-reef.com needs a m-tank forum!

The aquapod looks promising too. More lighting might be needed, a protein skimmer, but other than that it looks awesome.

To McTaino..if you are going 46BF, you can't go wrong with AGA. I have a 46G FW at home and it's beautiful. I looked at the Finnex....not sure what all the fuss is about. I think the AquaPod with MH looks exciting right now....we'll have to wait for the jury to be out. SH

I have two nanocubes with no cracks. I love my nanocubes. Steelhealr, you should not tell people not to buy a nanocube. The nanocube is a affordable option for people to start a reef tank. That is why we have "Nano-reef.com" Why dont we make a thread for people that have nanocubes with no problems. Everyone that has a nanocube in the USA does not go online in this forum to back up the nanocube. You can not say all nanocubes will crack. Let me tell you one more thing, glass will crack if it is dropped hard on the ground from UPS or FEDEX drivers. I seen it happen. For all the cry babys, stop crying. People with no problem with the nano, keep reefing. Peace.....

Steelhealr, you should not tell people not to buy a nanocube.

I don't think anyone should buy a NanoCube. Just becuase you got lucky doesn't mean it is worth it for anyone else to take their chances and endanger themselves or their livestock. New cracks/scratches keep apearing all over my cube and this is not from shipping. This is a BAD product, even if there is only a 25% chance of it cracking(which is HUGE)X)

Please don't be ignorant! Pick a different setup, it is ins't worth the hastle.

Nano93..I see you registerd in Sep05. Do your research first before you post something like this. In particular, your FEDEX and UPS comment is embarrassing to all of us who have been doing this for months. Read the other threads and you'll find out why. SH

Nano93,

While the NanoCube is an affordable option, purchasers are taking a risk on that they need to be made aware of. Steelhealr's EXCELLENT thread cautioning others IS necessary for that reason.

Yes glass breaks when dropped, and yes ALL shippers can be accused of mishandling ANY type of packages, This doesn't mean that everyone of these cracks can be attributed to shipping mishandling. The product has less than optimal glass thickness, especially considering the stress it is under loaded w/ water, LR, LS.

So, before you go saying "You should not be telling people not to buy a nanocube" do research on WHY he is stating this. If it had happened to you, I bet you would be cautioning others as Steelhealr is.

And before you go gettin' all mad here... I own a 24gallon NC 2004 model (the old one w/out moonlights). It has been up and running for almost 6 months now. I like it but I am very, very concerned about the problems reported here. So, I am extra careful, and on the look out for a better replacement option for the future.

Cheers,

TrekBear

• 2 weeks later...
justagirl1179

So sorry to hear about everyone's bad luck with cracking. I just have a quick question- are the cracking tanks only 24g's or are people having the same troubles with the 12g's? I'm just getting nervous because I'm waiting for my 12g to come in. Sorry again!

24G's have been the main culprits. It CAN happen to 12's but less frequently. Just make sure you thoroughly inspect it when it arrives...be careful for glass shards if it is broken. Do a long water test with FW. Have fun with it. SH

justagirl1179

Thanks Steel. I was planning on setting up the tank as soon as it got here, but now that I've read through this thread I'm thinking differently. I'm going to set the tank up in one of the plastic bins you can get from walmart or target and fill it with fresh water for about a week. Before I do that, I'll check out all the sides and edges w/o water. Where are these tanks prone to cracking? I've read that a lot of people are seeing hairline fractures near the curved corners. Thanks again for your help and letting people know about the possibilities of cracks. I'd rather go into setting up a cube with my eyes open than have it fall apart and have no idea why it happened.

Agreed....I've been attacked a few times about making negative comments about it. But...I only try to help people here. Run your tank with everything you'll be using to check temps as well..all heater, pumps, lights, etc. The most vulnerable areas are the seamless corners and apparently under the black frame where it covers the glass, making cracks here hard to see. SH

justagirl1179

Steel, I just received my used nano cube today. I place an emphases on used as the poor thing has quite a few scratches. All of the scratches seem to be superficial, probably caused by the previous owner using the mag float or shifting rocks against the glass. Do you think these scratches will cause a problem later? I inspected the tank over and again and I didn't see anything that resembled an actual crack, but like I said before I'll be filling it with FW for a while. Here's hoping all goes well! I'll keep you posted on what happens...

I think it should be fine. You could drive yourself crazy with this stuff. EG....someone posted in another thread how they spoke about the issue with a glazier and he said that scratches could be a problem. But....I would think only deep ones. Considering this is only a 12, much smaller load than a 24, I think you should be fine. SH

• 3 weeks later...

my gf's two year old 12OG nanocube sprung a leak! its only drops over hours, but it accumulates as a puddle around the tank over days. no sign of cracks anywhere, so leak is from bottom?? has anyone experienced this? how long do i have to find a replacement?

My nanocube cracked friday and leaked all over a power strip near the tank. THis is the 2nd nanocube ive had and this is the 2nd one to crack. The tank was only set up 2 weeks and i had just bought $50 dollars worth of live rock for the tank and now that has to sit in a bucket.

It's so sad to read these posts. I hope most people realize that the leaks/cracks from these things far exceeds AGA's, Oceanics, etc. For the leaking tank, I'd get out of it right away. I don't know if the AquaPod is availabe yet, is it? For the 2nd tank crack, fool me once, shame on your. Fool me twice.....get out of there and get something new. SH

As I was "looking" through the glass, I saw a massive crack in mine when cleaning it, then the cracked moved right in front of my eyes, to my dismay it grew larger and larger until water spurted all over and the plumber guy stood up, pulled up his pants and said, ya got yerself a real leaky faucet under here. ohh nice tank by the way. for all those all freaked out over there nano,s do the "customary" search from prevoius threads a few months ago to answer your most basic ??? on how and why these tanks crack.

Archived