ReefCleaners.org

Stop!! Do Not Buy A Nano Cube

steelhealr

Well, now that I have my custom tank setup, I was going to keep my 12G for my Onyx/RBTA.

But with all this talk, I transferred everything over today (was going to do everything except the Onyx in the next day or two anyway) and broke down the 12G. I thoroughly inspected it after draining and am pleased to report that I did not find any imperfections.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRR!!!!

After having spent a month lurking and learning here, I came upon steelhealr's howto on setting up a 24DX. I was originally going to go with a 40g breeder or a 48g bowfront, but thought the costs would be too much for my first SW tank. The LFS also had an amazing looking 24DX on the front counter of the store so last week I bought one($279), took it out of the box and it's now sitting on my desk waiting to be set up.

The question has been asked not only in this thread, but in others which were not answered... How can we tell which model we have? How do we know whether we have a 2004 or 2005 model? Are their changes in the box style, graphics, features, etc?

After reading this thread I'm scared, ####ed, and confused. I've only had the tank for 4 days and haven't even had a chance to do a quick wet run yet and here I am wondering what to do from here. I love the design of the tank and the idea of not having to do a ton of mods on a "from scratch" tank for my first go at SW was appealing.

I just don't know what to do from this point...

:*(

Originally posted by Phil80

GRR!!!!

After having spent a month lurking and learning here, I came upon steelhealr's howto on setting up a 24DX. I was originally going to go with a 40g breeder or a 48g bowfront, but thought the costs would be too much for my first SW tank. The LFS also had an amazing looking 24DX on the front counter of the store so last week I bought one($279), took it out of the box and it's now sitting on my desk waiting to be set up.  

The question has been asked not only in this thread, but in others which were not answered... How can we tell which model we have? How do we know whether we have a 2004 or 2005 model? Are their changes in the box style, graphics, features, etc?

After reading this thread I'm scared, ####ed, and confused. I've only had the tank for 4 days and haven't even had a chance to do a quick wet run yet and here I am wondering what to do from here. I love the design of the tank and the idea of not having to do a ton of mods on a "from scratch" tank for my first go at SW was appealing.

I just don't know what to do from this point...  

:*(

Look, I don't doubt that there is (was) a problem w/some of the cubes. You're going to hear more complaints HERE because this is where a lot of cube owners ARE. I bought my 24g DX in March from my LFS and set it up. I havent been gentle with it (taking the hood off has got to stress the tank) and it hasn't cracked. Another LFs has had a 24DX set up for months on their front counter too.

Go to the LFS and ask them how many they have had returned for cracks. Me? I'd unbox the tank and look at the corners to see if there is anything noticable. If there is, talk to your LFS about an exchange. If not, fill it up, throw in a heater and crank it up to 95. Stress the tank for a week or 2.

I bought the NC because of its design. The Via-Aqua isn't an option simply because I don't want all the hoses, wires and other stuff hanging out the back and the VA, like a regular tank would require too much moding to equal the NC.

I think that everyone needs to take a step back and calm down. All the talk about lawsuits and the chicken little "sky is falling" mentality that is developing is getting to be too much. For those talking lawsuit, you'd better be prepared for years and $$$ being spent.

Chris, What are the chances of getting someone from JBJ involved in the discussions on this forum? Maybe if they participated in the forum it would calm things down.

just my .02

Sorry...I disagree. My tank had no cracks in it for months. If you are willing to gamble now on a tank that has a quesionable track record, well, that is your decision. If I was Phil 80, I'd repack the cube, take it back with a reprint of this thread, tell 'em you'll take store credit, and get another system until this issue is RESOLVED.

I started my startup thread with the intention of helping people here since there is so much variability in starting up a NC. I'd be remiss if I let them get burned because of quality issues. The bottom line, the tank has cracking issues, some with catastrophic outcomes and some cracks appear latently. Would you buy an automobile judged poor in a crash test? Just food for thought. SH

BastonReefer

Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and say I'm not a big fan of the Nano Cubes myself. Everything needs to be modded anyways to make it worthwhile. Anyways, maybe now this new "trend" in tanks will vanish.

With the help of this thread, I just noticed some hairline fractures along the top portion of the bend as well. I guess, you can add me to the long list of ####ed off JBJ customers...

Sparkling_Surfer

I had a dream last night that my cube broke when I moved it back to college...then I checked this forum and ANOTHER one can be added to the list.

I did a full check of my cube, everything looks great. But I sure am worried!!!!!! I wonder what my university would charge me (and my roomate who has the same tank) if our cubes happened to break & ruined the carpet.

I am SOOO sorry to hear about your near loss, SH. Have you moved your livestock out yet??

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones...

My 12g nanocube has suspicious hair line cracks at the right top bend of the glass. I count at least 3 ranging from 1/4 to 1/2 in. My 12g was bought at LFS in SoCal(Rainbow) March 21, 2005 and I thoroughly inspected it especially at the bends for cracks and found none but several weeks ago I notice more and more tiny hair line cracks.

The cracks that I see are most likely not due to shipping.

Originally posted by doncb

Look, I don't doubt that there is (was) a problem w/some of the cubes. You're going to hear more complaints HERE because this is where a lot of cube owners ARE. I bought my 24g DX in March from my LFS and set it up. I havent been gentle with it (taking the hood off has got to stress the tank) and it hasn't cracked. Another LFs has had a 24DX set up for months on their front counter too.

I've just inspected the entire tank inside and out and see no hairline fractures, cracks or anything else of that nature. Maybe JBJ is right...perhaps this is all happening from shipment of internet orders. Maybe all these mods everyone is doing to them is affecting how well they stand up against wear and tear.

After reading the official response, I'm inclined to go ahead and use the tank keeping a 10g nearby to save stock if something ever goes wrong. Seems a lot of people here were quick to dog the tank when 3 or 4 started cracking, but prior to that(and the reason I bought one in fact) everyone raved about them. The tanks look beautiful when fully stocked and the size is so convenient. As doncb said, complaints will be higher here so this forum isn't a good indicator of a product's faultiness. And obviously those unfortunate enough to have a cracked tank are going to be upset, instantly doing a 180 and bashing a tank they once upheld as great. Perhaps I'll be told "I told you so..." in a month or two, but I'm willing to take the risk. At most I'll be cleaning some water up and moving my stock(tank is in the finished basement anyway).

Would you buy an automobile judged poor in a crash test?

I definitely wouldn't buy an automobile judged poor in a crash test, but I would buy one if only a small number out of the thousands sold performed poorly with the unknown possibility that outside causes were to blame rather than poor craftmanship. And I mean that in the most humble way possible. I'm not targeting or disclaiming anyone on this forum for their opinions...just trying to look at everything collectively

Thanks for putting my mind at ease a bit doncb

I'm with Danny, glad I chose my Eclipse 12 over the JBJ 12 (your woot woot thread sold me :) ). I really prefer the shape of my eclipse, plus I recall my lfs saying they were not ordering any more of the cubes. I'll have to ask them if it was defect/return related.

JMT...gorgeous tank. Anyway, I saw JBJ's response and if Mr. Steven Yim is being honest, in that he is going to replace the damaged cubes, I think it is a wondeful business gesture. I for one, would stay with the cube if offered a replacement. I posted a note on that thread asking if they could set up a registration site for those with damaged/cracking cubes. SH

Hi... I tracked down the people who bought nano cubes during the same auction that I bought mine. Would you believe I got responses. Hold on to your shorts and read on:

Response 1:

Dear steelhealr,

yes, 3 cracked on me. 1 showed up cracked,insurance covered it. 1 cracked when full of fresh water, 3 days after filling, but not stocked yet. (just testing it) they replaced that one - told me they staryted making them better. sent me a new one. it cracked 6 weeks after being filled with saltwater reef setup. huge pain in the a$$ they are a piece of junk. call jbj, the mfgr 310-672-4099 i know for a fact that a huge number of these have failed. thell act otherwise. I am awaiting a refund...

Response 2:

Dear steelhealr,

Yes, my cube it leaking. What happend to yours and did you recieve a response from the seller?

Response 3:

nope no problems with mine

SH

I think JBJ had your typical "company" response, WE dont make the glass, WE inspect them, WE dont cover modded products, I hear this alot with all types of products it's like a blueprint for companies with poor quality control. Let's see, step 1 - blame supplier, step 2 - claim we go out of our way for you the consumer, step 3 - all else fails blame the consumer. It really hurts consumers views of companies when they pull this. Just like car warrenties, a company has to prove something you modded caused failure. If you blow your engine they have to prove what you modded cuased it. (I have exp. in this, [car name] ate a 3500 dollar transmission, install costs and a rerntacar for me becuase they could not prove I caused the damage from modifing). Same thing with JBJ, I could see if a drilled tank cracked and they said they would not replace it, But how could you say a modded hood or skimmer, pump, etc. (within reason) would cuase complete tank failure? I feel how upset you are steelhealr, I was going to purchase a 24g nc and ended up going with a aga 29g set-up. I had read too many threads of all these cubes cracking, it's upseting for alot of owners. It is a sleek good looking product, the idea is there and ppl. like chris at nanocustoms up the bar of the overall possible profromance, now they just have to work on thier quality control and PR a little to win this reefer over. Good luck with your current 'cube SH I hope you don't run into anymore snags, great documentation BTW on all your threads keep up the good work!

;)

Lemme start out by saying sorry to steel. Wow, im amazed at the amount of cracked tanks that are being reported. This is indeed getting a little out of hand. I remember when sneribo’s tank cracked… that day I stopped off at home depot on my way home from work and bought a huge tuppware tub. As soon as I got home, I put my cube in it, and it hasn’t left since… I look for cracks everyday but still haven’t found any. Im hoping someday I can return my cube to my desk so I can actually observe it once again. Cracking seems to occure on 24g’s the most. I don’t know what’s going on, but I DON’T think all these cracking issues are because of shipping. It could possibly be from people modding their tanks. Heat from stronger lighting, bigger fans (causes more vibrations)… the list can go on and on. Those two things in general would have a huge factor in effecting the strength and durability of the glass. Especially around the curves where it’s the weakest. I design calibration MAPS for diesel engines for a living. Companies sell chips to enhance the power of the engines we design… as soon as one of those chips is installed in a truck we make, good by 1,000,000 mile power train warranty. This is how we cover our asses.. This is exactly why i refuse to do anything to my tank until the warranty is expired. But in this case, I think it’s a serious design flaw, OR someone just isn’t doing their job correctly.

Doh! As I was looking at my tank tonight, I found a hairline crack on the right curved corner. I checked it out, felt it in the inside, and can feel the crack. I'm a little afraid to go to sleep now. This is insane. I'm going to call in the morning to see what can be done.

Hi..thank you all for continuing to contribute. Jstone, thanks for for your support...xsamx...thanks for your side of the biz point of view. And VBA...damn.....another one. I think more will come out the more people go to carefully inspect their cubes.

Well, I still haven't heard from JBJ. I left a message with a woman, I believe her name is Laura, and I haven't gotten a return call. I explained about my tank crack and also was honest that I 'modded' the tank but nothing major. Simply asked if they could call me back to discuss my options. Haven't heard. I'll try again today.

To VBA, check out the response from JBJ. They have a thread here now. I am trying to see if they will set up a registration list of owners like ourselves who are suffering cracks. I think it is a good business decision to help out those are are threatened with loss of animal life. IMO, if they take the warranty stand, the product is going to stay stocked on the shelf.

Hey...I, too, was happy with the cube and for the same reasons that everyone else purchased it. Let's hope that JBJ comes thru for us and puts this product back into commission. I recommend everyone who suffered tank failure or cracks to call JBJ or help to post on their site a registration list. Thanks again for everyone's support here. I DO want to keep my old thread going. SH

ADDDED...for those who are REALLY concerned and who have a new cube, you could always do as above....place the stand or tank in a tubberware tub. You could always cut it away later. Awkward, totally unaesthetic, but...well...uh.....(sigh)..SH

I found my crack while I was looking at what it seemed was Brine shrimp babies. It was with only a desklamp out facing the cube. From that point of view, I found the crack. When I woke up this morning with the actual lights on, I couldn't see it. However, I turned off the lights and put on my desk lamp, there it was. It wasn't a nightmare. :( Oh well... I emailed JBJ, and hopefully, we can resolve it.

hmmm... If I had a cracked tank, the last thing I would want to do would be to move it, even if it were to move it into a rubbermaid container.

For everyone following, I called JBJ today and spoke with their assistant. She asked me to email a photo of my tank along with a copy of the receipt for payment, which I did. She told me that it usually takes 'five days to process'. I will keep you all posted.

SH

FYI I'm sorry to hear about the cracking tanks and while I don't have an NC nor financial interest in JBJ, the actual manufacture is Boyu, a company based in China that makes aquarium products. I researched this a year ago while lusting over the ultimate curved glass nano. Jebo, Boyu, Alife, Jalli were companies that made/imported these curved tanks. Unfortunately the quality controls and consumer protections may not be as stringent as here in the States so JBJ has to take the hit. It's nice to read that JBJ will do right and perhaps fix the tarnish to their rep. from this grassroots response. Maybe those designers will listen and out out a better product!

Archived