ReefCleaners.org

Stop!! Do Not Buy A Nano Cube

steelhealr

for all those all freaked out over there nano,s do the "customary" search from prevoius threads a few months ago to answer your most basic ??? on how and why these tanks crack.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you just please tell what you know. I'm tired of searching. Thanks.

I have a 12G. It's been in the box for two or three years. I was just excited and bought it. But never got around to setting it up until now.

The box says PL-NANO/BW 24W/ 50/50 Bulb.

So it's an older model.

Before I read all this - I started setting it up. It has several pounds of sand. Full of water and some live rock. I was planning on getting more live rock soon but now I'm frozen.

It's on my second flow, I have a two year old daughter. Is this tank not safe????

I live in Chicago - the house will go down into the 60's at night. I have it on the JBJ stand (just bought that).

Let me know what you think I should do.

I've had water in it for about a week. I'm not doing anything else soon. I'll check it for cracks and post back if I find any.

Thanks.

Jim

:huh:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
omg this is horrible. i feel so bad for everyone who this has happened to. unfortunately i have a 12dx coming from nanotuners.com and it should be here today so hopefully I won't get this problem as well. this has me pretty nervous.

I have not heard of any cracking issues with the 12 :happy: or 6 :happy: just the 24 :o rest easy Genin but if you ever upgrade, make sure this issue is resolved or get a dif. brand.

Good luck on the tank

Coralbuff

stoney waters
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you just please tell what you know. I'm tired of searching. Thanks.

What I have gathered after all the hype is that you have at least 95% chance of getting a cube with no serious problems.

What I have gathered after all the hype is that you have at least 95% chance of getting a cube with no serious problems.

I have not heard of any cracking issues with the 12 happy.gif or 6 happy.gif just the 24 ohmy.gif

5% failure is still high rate considering how much it will damage to your investment and your house. And there's plenty of 12G crack on this site and my local reef club members.

I contacted JBJ, and they told me I can replace my tank with new and improve version for $50 without a hood. I am definately going to replace it with the new version soon.

10" Red Devil
5% failure is still high rate considering how much it will damage to your investment and your house. And there's plenty of 12G crack on this site and my local reef club members.

I contacted JBJ, and they told me I can replace my tank with new and improve version for $50 without a hood. I am definately going to replace it with the new version soon.

Why the hell do you have to pay for their frickin defect! What a scam! This is sooo shady! It does not suprise me that people are having these problems with a JBJ product, I had several light fixtures made by them go out for no good reason. Also when I worked at a lfs people were constantly returning these things!

I just cant believe a company would introduce an inferior product with a major defect and then not fix it at their expense, I mean that is what most manufacturers do it is called a RECALL!!! People please dont stand for this complain to JBJ and dont settle. If you have to sell the tank and get something else, but dont support this type of behavior, your only hurting yourself and other hobbyiest.

Don't forget the ballasts as well. I kept mine stock and it lasted 2 years, barely. Removed it when it went shot and realized, it was a crappy ballast in teh first place. So, replacing lights, ballast, pump and cutting it up get's you a good tank, if it doesn't crack. I love the tank because my wife bought it for me. Will I ever buy one of their tanks again, no way! Thankfully I had my 37 to move my livestock into when the ballast went shot. Just waiting now to decide wher eto proceed with it. It is in sunlight so my feather calrupa is growing and the pods are happy but basically it is just holding my base rock and the feather C and some halimeda.

i love my nanocubesssss. and i will buy more. even if one cracks i ll buy again.

its funny how there is so much bashing on the cubes, yet those leading the charge still have there cubes. why not give it to me and ill even pay for shipping. why take the risk of it cracking and flooding> or burning your house down.

my pms/emails are open . i have paypal also.

• 1 month later...
I just cant believe a company would introduce an inferior product with a major defect and then not fix it at their expense, I mean that is what most manufacturers do it is called a RECALL!!! People please dont stand for this complain to JBJ and dont settle. If you have to sell the tank and get something else, but dont support this type of behavior, your only hurting yourself and other hobbyiest.

If it was a major defect, how is it that JBJ is alway backordered on their Nanocubes. My LFS said that he sells over 40 nanocubes a month and he always have to wait to receive them. This is only one LFS. How many LFS are there in the U.S. I love my nano cubes. Just got my new 24 gallon Nanocube for Christmas. :D

Yes, it is the 2006 model. I compared it to the old 24 gallon nano at my LFS. The 2006 model glass is thicker.

Just how much thicker? Someone got a link they can post? I have not found specs that detail that anywhere yet.

Thanks!

The 2006 model is now 5mm thickness. I made sure I got the newer model.

yep. 12 gallon is now 4mm thick, up 1mm from previous models, 24 gallon is 5mm thick, up 2mm from previous models?

Not sure...will check it out. I went to outtafocus' site....it does give instructions on how to build your own, but, a true build out starting from scratch with glass, silicone, etc, but..not too clear on how to build the 'braces'. SH

make a center brace, if needed, from the same glass you made the sides from.

I made a 2' x 7" x 1'3" (I think from memory) anyway its made from 4 mm glass and was bowing without the center brace.

Yes...I still have a cube....older model...with a stable crack that is a grey cloud always lurking. My intentions are to change someday and if it cracks and floods out my house, I am the only one to blame. Time and expense are the issue. If I had my druthers, I would change to a 30G Oceanic and put in a plexiglass back wall. So far, it seems that the AquaPod has some cheesey construction to it. Time will tell.

The older NC was measured out by sNEIRBO and he measured 3.8mms. The 2006 version is supposed to be 5mms. SH

well steel,

im sorry but as long as you still have a nanocube, i find it hypocritical that you are still bashing others for having it or planning to buy it.

you also gave high marks for the aquapod before even having one. and apparently now it has issues also.

so your giving advise to new reefers before you even take your own advise against the nc.

so this thread is completely misguided. and people should still consider buying the nanocube. for $150. the 12dx is the best deal out there at this time.

and yes, i ve had 5ncs, and have seen in person the aquapod. and if i was going to buy another nanotank. it still would be a nanocube at this time......

Don't think he is bashing just tryin to raise awareness.

24G's have been the main culprits. It CAN happen to 12's but less frequently. Just make sure you thoroughly inspect it when it arrives...be careful for glass shards if it is broken. Do a long water test with FW. Have fun with it. SH

That doesn't sound like a bash.... :unsure:

I think it should be fine. You could drive yourself crazy with this stuff. EG....someone posted in another thread how they spoke about the issue with a glazier and he said that scratches could be a problem. But....I would think only deep ones. Considering this is only a 12, much smaller load than a 24, I think you should be fine. SH

That doesn't sound like a bash.... :unsure:

well steel,

im sorry but as long as you still have a nanocube, i find it hypocritical that you are still bashing others for having it or planning to buy it.

you also gave high marks for the aquapod before even having one. and apparently now it has issues also.

so your giving advise to new reefers before you even take your own advise against the nc.

so this thread is completely misguided. and people should still consider buying the nanocube. for $150. the 12dx is the best deal out there at this time.

and yes, i ve had 5ncs, and have seen in person the aquapod. and if i was going to buy another nanotank. it still would be a nanocube at this time......

That sounds like a bash...IMO

well steel,

He is not bashing, he is talking given his own experience and is advising under his opinion.

I find ridiculous that people take this personal, Jesus! We are talking about Aquariums we are not talking about anyone mother's, I don't know why people get offended. Opinions are opinions, and from my point of view you are bashing Steel. Cool off people, let learn from others and respect their point of views.

He is not bashing, he is talking given his own experience and is advising under his opinion.

I find ridiculous that people take this personal, Jesus! We are talking about Aquariums we are not talking about anyone mother's, I don't know why people get offended. Opinions are opinions, and from my point of view you are bashing Steel. Cool off people, let learn from others and respect their point of views.

What are you talking about? Just the title itself is bashing the nano cube. embryoguy is right. This thread doesnt make sense if he is still running a nano cube at home. :wacko:

I emailed JBJ about this issue they told me newer tanks have thicker glass so the cracking issue is fixed

Are there any known cases of the 2006 cracking?

Thanks for the comments and support. One issue that embryoguy posted is true....I DID recommend buying the AquaPod based on great things I was hearing and reading and that WAS probably premature. I am now reading of some shoddy construction. I will NOT do that again.

However, cautioning others about potential for damage to their home and livestock from the 24G is NOT hypocritical simply because I don't have the resources to change out right now. If you purchased a car and found out later that it wasn't safe because it has the potential to flip over and received a negative crash rating, would you be a hypocrite for warning others not to buy it? I think not.

This tank has been re-engineered with thicker glass Embroguy....why? I think the answer is clear. The evidence is overwhelming that the increase in size of the nano cube to a 24G while not thickening the glass was an engineering flaw. Although I never mention it often, I receive frequent PM's about their tank cracking months after setup. In fact, I received a post today on my thread about another 'shipping failure'.

No...warning others about the old JBJ is neither bashing nor hypocritical....it is educating others to the potentional heartache that could occur with the older tank. Simiilar to informed consent prior to surgery, I have tried my best in my threads to give 'the risks, the benefits and the alternatives' to the 24G NC, pre-2006 (read thru my 24G thread).

My failure to replace my tank to date doesn't make me a hypocrite .....just a professional with lack of time and two kids and, like million of Americans, a mortgage and bills to pay. Trust me...I'd have an Oceanic in there right now if I could. SH

Archived