Cultivated Reef

Stop!! Do Not Buy A Nano Cube

steelhealr

topwater guy

Hello All,

I'm a Newbie here......Got a 12g JBJ Nano from my daughter for Christmas, finally got everything I needed to set it up. Long story short....got my live rock, sand.... start the cycling day before yesterday, all was fine. Yesterday evening a crack developed on the right side where the glass is bowed. It ran all the way to the bottom, lost about 5 gal out of the cube before the Mrs. went ballistic. Live rock is in a 30 gal plastic trash can w/ the pump and heater. This occured out of the Blue.....

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello All,

I'm a Newbie here......Got a 12g JBJ Nano from my daughter for Christmas, finally got everything I needed to set it up. Long story short....got my live rock, sand.... start the cycling day before yesterday, all was fine. Yesterday evening a crack developed on the right side where the glass is bowed. It ran all the way to the bottom, lost about 5 gal out of the cube before the Mrs. went ballistic. Live rock is in a 30 gal plastic trash can w/ the pump and heater. This occured out of the Blue.....

Is Current still hiring? Can you let me know when you are at work. <_<

• 1 year later...
fraggle rockette

i dont see a crack in my tank right now but have noticed a slow drip from the top left corner when the water is completely topped off... this worries me- i've put waay too much $$$ into this tank already and cant lose everything! should i look into getting another tank? what brand? i'm so worried now... i don't want to have an explosion :scarry:

apologeticlies
i dont see a crack in my tank right now but have noticed a slow drip from the top left corner when the water is completely topped off... this worries me- i've put waay too much $$$ into this tank already and cant lose everything! should i look into getting another tank? what brand? i'm so worried now... i don't want to have an explosion :scarry:

Get a biocube! they are pretty awesome! lots of mods, but I'm sure you already know that.

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

Do you add water all the way to the top of the rim? If so, that's probably just a matter of faulty sealing. You could just spread some silicon between the plastic rim and glass. Hate to disagree with you guys, but I highly recommend the 2006 Nanocube. I have a 24g that's been running for almost eight months now without the slightest problem. Every single modification I've made has fit and worked perfectly because of the versatile design.

I have not heard one case of the 2006 model cracking.

this thread was revived after a whole year. I doubt there is reason to be concerned

post b4 fraggle's is dated Jan 9 2006, 02:21 AM

yeah these were the old tanks that cracked. JBJ fixed the problem by making the glass 1mm thicker. plus this was only a concern with the 24g i believe.

My AP12 never did this, but my Finnex 30g does as the top frame SUCKS! :( I wouldn't worry though unless you see a physical crack in the glass. But you have a newer Cube so I wouldn't be too worried. ;)

• 5 months later...

I'm surprised there aren't more problems with Picotopes.

I purchased a JBJ Picotope recently, and was *appalled* by the joint between the back piece of glass and the main, curved piece of glass. The back piece of glass was square on one side, a good joint, but on the other side it only went half the width of the glass - that is, there is only a 1/16" overlap of where the back piece of glass is siliconed to the front piece (when your talking about 1/8" glass). I did water tests, but needless to say, I was not thrilled about such a weak seam holding an AC 70 full of water... I went out and bought a 5.5 AGA. the light/filter went on my 1 gallon.

So I went to the LFS and one of their picotopes had a piece of scotch tape at the SAME seam along the back, only noticeable since I was actually looking at the seam.

I tried to give away the picotope, but no one wanted it because they looked at the seam and went, screw that.

JBJ has questionable quality control, period.

I purchased a JBJ Picotope recently, and was *appalled* by the joint between the back piece of glass and the main, curved piece of glass. The back piece of glass was square on one side, a good joint, but on the other side it only went half the width of the glass - that is, there is only a 1/16" overlap of where the back piece of glass is siliconed to the front piece (when your talking about 1/8" glass). I did water tests, but needless to say, I was not thrilled about such a weak seam holding an AC 70 full of water... I went out and bought a 5.5 AGA. the light/filter went on my 1 gallon.

So I went to the LFS and one of their picotopes had a piece of scotch tape at the SAME seam along the back, only noticeable since I was actually looking at the seam.

I tried to give away the picotope, but no one wanted it because they looked at the seam and went, screw that.

I'm sure if you contacted JBJ and informed them they would replace the tank. I've found their customer service people to be quite helpful.

Nano_Reefer_92

If you still have it I will take it j/k :P

Archived