ReefCleaners.org

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

Undertheradar

I am using 5/8" OD acrylic pipe, which is bonded to the skimmer for the input and output, and then the pipe is glued to the CPVC with weld-on 16.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UTR, I saw the sneak preview shots and read your comments about the collection cup problems and decided to stay away. Cleaning my current skimmer isn't too bad, its just not very efficient (seems it needs cleaning at least twice a week to stay skimming properly). Just to let you know, I'm getting foam know that is so thick it won't slide down and drain off..it just becomes part of the sludge buildup! I want a recirculating skimmer to help avoid the water level problems but I just can't get the proper supplies and its a pain to cut the acrylic. I am thinking about going with one of the new ASM mini's because it would probably be less hassle (less fiddling with tuning) and the performance would be great (I would have no problem modding it since I have the drill bits required to drill the holes, and I wouldn't have to cut the acrylic).

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the skimmer I built for my 12 gallon nano cube. I have a 1/2" input pipe and a 1/2" output going to 3/4" standpipe. I am running it with a mini jet 606 with a tube crammed into the intake. The problem I am having is that no matter what height I set the standpipe, the water level in the skimmer is too high. It stays higher than the standpipe and higher than the water level in the back compartments of my tank. I need some suggestions on how to prevent this. I thought it might be due to the pump being too strong....its running wide open at approximately 130gph. The pump will sit upside down on tube with nothing connected. Thanks for the help.

Chad

post-12746-1143776779_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

Try using a 'T' on your outlet pipe rather than just two elbows. This allows air to escape otherwise the outlet can trap an air bubble and stop flow. At least thats one thing I have noticed happen in the past.

What is the diameter of your outlet pipe?

What size pump are you using for your input?

What are the overall dimensions of the skimmer?

I'll give the T a try and see how it works. The skimmer is pretty small, so I'm wondering if water is pumping in too fast to allow it to drain properly.

My outlet pipe is 1/2" inside the skimmer, converting to 3/4" with the elbow going up to the standpipe.

I am using a Mini Jet 606 with the flow control removed....so it is pumping around 130gph.

The skimmer is 3" wide X 1" deep X 11" tall.

Thanks,

Chad

• 2 weeks later...
Undertheradar

The dimensions are to fit the interior of the skimmer body, and 4.5" tall.

I will be making a new thread for both 'final' versions of the skimmers, the MJ1200 recirculating which has evolved a few generations, and the nano-skimmer...as well as a nano-cube version.

I have all but the nano one 100% finished & running...the nano-cube version is a PITA to figure out...

I have been busy, curing batches of aragacrete (background walls, frag trays, plateaus, mesas, etc), doing many SCWD mods, oscillating powerhead mounts, stream modded maxi-jets as well as founding & developing the aquaclear powerhead stream-modding...

I too would be interested in a nanocube version for a 24 gallon. I have used an airstone skimmer in the past and it would sort of work. I will try to plan out something based on your design this week. My biggest hurdle is space. I have chamber one set up to be my skimmer area. The only place I can put it. Chamber two is my refugium and three has my return and heater. My problem is clearance from the water line to the fan on the lid. There is not much room to get your foam out of the water and into a cup. That is my hurdle. I will post up what I can come up with.

Another big problem is the addition of another heat producing device. I plan on doing a fan upgrade and changing to a dual ballast to get independant controls of my fans. Perhaps this will reduce the heat. So any PH I add will need to be slim in the wattage department.

UTR the sneak peek pics of the NC skimmer you made. Is that designed to hang on or go into a chamber? Thanks for these designs they certainly help. Keep up the good work.

Undertheradar

It goes into a chamber, but the pump is in one chamber, then it reaches up and over into the second chamber where the skimmer is.

hmm ok. I may need to mod the idea to fit my tank. I saw a post about an air driven skimmer that I may try since I have most of it completed already. it would be a simple fix. if it doesn't produce well than I can move on to more powered solutions.

well my airdriven skimmer didn't work out too well. too many micro bubbles and not enough foam. So now I need to use your design to fit into chamber one of my nanocube. or just wait for you to finish yours lol. My biggest problem it that damn fan. I only end up with maybe 4 inches between water level and the lid. Not a whole lot of room. The chamber itself is about 4.5 inches wide and 2.5 deep. Seems like enough room to get something to fit but not sure best way to go about it. Any suggestions?

I will be making a new thread for both 'final' versions of the skimmers, the MJ1200 recirculating which has evolved a few generations, and the nano-skimmer...as well as a nano-cube version.

Wahey! Great stuff UTR!

Sam

Hey, Can't wait to see the designs. Will the NC design work in an aquapod too, maybe with scaling the dimensions a bit?

I was going to try and make a skimmer in my aquapod, but I don't see how you can get any space for the foam to rise witout lowering the water level a lot. Is that also a problem in the NC?

G

Recirc...recirc...off to work to make the recirc. Is the recirc plan in this thread the most effective plan, or is there a more up to date one.

2 questions.

1. Is it better to have the input and output on the top of the skimmer or bottom? I saw it varied in a few of the pics.

2. Does the output need to be lower that the input?

I am trying to get a design to fit in chamber one of my NC. I am think 2.5 inches square with a removable collection cup. This should fit into my space.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I can't wait to see the nano version and how it works. You're doing a great job and service to this community. If you start selling them I'm totally interested.

Spiffyguy

Quick question. Why does the CPVC Spraybar have to go through the other side? Can't it just be glued into place flush agains the back then sealed around the hole on the front?

Spiffyguy

ahh true. didn't think of that. Is the cap glued on though? I wouldn't think it would stay put just fitted on there with the pressure of the pump.

Almost done with mine. Should fit in the 1st chamber of my nanocube. I will post some pics once I see how it works.

minireef75

This thing has come a long way....I remember when it was first posted...I actually started to build one..I ended up building a sweet recirc with a MJ1200 and some food storage containers...Sounds crazy but it is insane...I would love to see the updates on the MJ recirc model that you have been working on...TY and keep up the good work!

Spiffyguy

So mine fits into the 1st chamber fine. I was using a small 80gph powerhead, a Hydor Pico. Didn't work to well so I think I am going to get a MJ400 with the venturi attachment. Wehere is a good place to get this?? Or is there an easy way to DIY it. I heard the venturi attachment that comes with it is for the output and it doesn't work too well.

Well I just finished building it all. Running a MJ400 with the venturi kit. I do sem to be getting quite a bit of micro bubbles coming out the exit port. Not sure what to do to resolve it. Seems like the water is just moving too fast through and taking the bubbles with it. My return shaft is straight and I did not put the upward slanting piece like in the original drawing because I swore I saw a post that said it didn't need to be there. Any suggestions on the micro bubbles?

Running it in my cycling 10 gallon for testing. No real bio load but it may foam a bit since 2 gallons a week is taking out of the main tank and put in there.

Thanks

Archived