SaltCritters.com

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

UTR,

With the MJ600 recirc skimmer, about how far from the top should the intake and outlet be? Also how tall should the cup be, looking at your other designs the base of the cup should be just above the outlet as that pretty much defines the water height of the skimmer right?

I think I'm going to pick up some acrylic tomorrow before work and start getting the body cut, just waiting on my conduit bends to get everything together. We will see how many trys it takes to get a good working skimmer :P good thing 1/8" is cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img0255mz7.jpg

Here is a video of it in action, I didn't take any pictures of it outside of tank but I will get some later.

UTR I have a question, it is producing massive bubbles etc... but not building any type of head, should I just leave it on for a while? I don't have any fish only corals and CUC so should I not expect to get anything?

Thanks,

Mitch

Well it has began producing a head that bubbles over into the cup! The only thing is the pump is kind of noisy with the air coming into it... Constantly sounds like a pump sucking air :P is there any way to lessen this (its not coming from the airline) Otherwise this baby is coming out as I cannot stand that sound, its louder than all 3 of my other pumps and MH Fan combined!

Thanks,

Mitch

Undertheradar

Sounds like the skimmer just needed some time to break in. This is common with all skimmers.

As for the noise, try making a 'muffler'. Look at tunze skimmers and you will get what I mean. I think I have put pics in this thread as well.

The idea is really just to use a small length of 1/2" or other PVC pipe, then cap it at both ends. then drill a hole at both ends, one for the airline to run out, and the other to put the air control valve in. The noise will be captured in the pipe.

Yeah the skimmer is working great now and producing a lot of yuck!

I did create one of the mufflers with the PVC and pipe but thats not where the noise is from, its actually the pump itself chopping the bubbles... If I close the valve everything is perfectly quite like a normal pump, but once its open the chopping sound resumes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mitch

Undertheradar

perhaps the intake on the pump is too restricted? try working with the pump w/o the skimmer... vary the restriction slightly to see what you get as far as noise. I have experienced pumps that make tons of noise if the intake is too restrictive. This is also damaging to the pump. Its all I can think of right now...

perhaps the intake on the pump is too restricted? try working with the pump w/o the skimmer... vary the restriction slightly to see what you get as far as noise. I have experienced pumps that make tons of noise if the intake is too restrictive. This is also damaging to the pump. Its all I can think of right now...

Ok, I will give that a try the intake does get reduced a little with the hose I have on it. Also with the airline hose how far 'into' the hose should it be, like half way? I was having issues where it was not sucking any air in the line and I had to curve the hose so that the outlet was facing the opening of the pump.

Like this, and now it sucks air fine.

picture1yv2.png

Undertheradar

I dont stick the airline in as far... I have pics of how I do it. Yeah, if you are putting it that far in, I have no doubt you are choking the pump, and thats the reason for the noise. Just cut the airline tip at an angle.. that should be plenty.

I dont stick the airline in as far... I have pics of how I do it. Yeah, if you are putting it that far in, I have no doubt you are choking the pump, and thats the reason for the noise. Just cut the airline tip at an angle.. that should be plenty.

Well I trimmed the airline tip at an angle and strapped it in... It's working GREAT! Obviously there is still a little pump noise from the air entering it, but it now much more 'tuned' and is just a bit louder than when the valve is closed. It also is producing much more frothy bubbles I can't wait to see what kind of skimmate it produces by morning.

Thanks for the help,

Mitch

Just wanted to drop in and say everything is still working great, thanks UTR!!

mmm.... this smells nice :wacko: that is 2 days worth

skimmatema7.jpg

hey UTR, for a mesh wheel impeller pump, is it better to have the venturi as close to the impeller as you can get it or is it better for it to be spaced out a little?

Thanks

Undertheradar

With any venturi, the most important part is that the point of highest restriction is where the air gets introduced, and that this poing of highest restriction is very short, as in... if you had a 1/2" diameter venturi, try to keep it as short as possible... no more than 1" long. OR, if given the choice between a 1/2" venturi that is 2" long and a 3/8" venturi that is 1/2" long... go with the narrower one that is shorter. See... a longer restriction decreases flow, which we dont want to do... we just want to decrease pressure. A sudden restriction will maintain the flow as much as possible, while just dropping the pressure. If you do the opposite, and use a long pipe for a venturi, the flow will drop, but not the pressure as much (its all relative of course, and there are limits, but you get the idea). Some of the best asperating venturis on the market are very short, yet narrow.

As far as how close to the pump the air inlet should be... well... it shouldnt make a difference as long as the length of the venturi isnt extended. One problem with having the venturi too far away is that with some meshwheels/needlewheels the torque demanded to spin the impeller is greater than the pump can produce in just water, so when the pump is started, the air draw needs to be as close to instant as possible or the impeller will sputter and never start. This would mean the venturi should be as close as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

im planning to make one too. whats the latest design that works for u guys?

i want to avoid bubbles from going into the display as much as i can so is there such thing as too many baffles?

im planning to make one too. whats the latest design that works for u guys?

i want to avoid bubbles from going into the display as much as i can so is there such thing as too many baffles?

I am using this design, but instead of the inlet/outlet for the recirc pump being on the side mine is on the bottom. I have no issues with bubbles getting into the display. And the best part is... it works awesome, as good if not better than most you could purchase.

MJ600skimmer.jpg

I will try to grab a full picture of mine next time I clean.

Mitch

seems like photobucket is down...

anyone else would like to share any successful designs?

mine will must likely be a bubble chamber with lots of baffles to get rid of the bubbles.

seems like photobucket is down...

anyone else would like to share any successful designs?

mine will must likely be a bubble chamber with lots of baffles to get rid of the bubbles.

Well bubbles getting into the tank will depend on your flow through the skimmer and what design you choose, I have no baffle for bubbles and I have no bubbles making it out of the skimmer.

how much did it cost for you guys to make these skimmers

MJ 600 ~$12

PVC ~$3

Acrylic ~10 (with tons left over)

Hi guys,

i just made the venturi version of this skimmer, all looks well but i have a ton of micro bubbles leaving the skimmer and entering my tank. the skimmer has a remov-able top, and is a total, with the collection cup included 12" tall, and 2.5" wide. im using an aquaclear 20 on the skimmer ( is it too strong? ).

Any suggestions? BTW thanks for the skimmer design :)

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys i went out and got a 2 3/4 of an inch tube and glued a collection cup on one end of it. and stuck a air pump with a air stone....

and its working O.o

since the edge of the cup is so high im getting a lot of green water waste. im about to make this skimmer more complicated. =p

Bah...I tried to PM, mailbox full. Then did an e-mail thingy...got a weird message. So, Mr. Radar, my apologies if this is spam.

Dear Mr. U.T. Radar:

How does one go about sweet talking you into building them one of your fine, quality, HOB nano skimmers?

I'd love to buy one, and pay for shipping to Denver. I can get my own pump....

I just am all thumbs when it comes to tools, especially anything dealing with superglue. I tend to glue my hands quite often.

Plenty o' xenia and aiptasia to sweeten the deal, *wink wink*.

:D

Thanks

Your alcoholic in recovery reefer friend

Andrea

I am going to be designing a new DIY skimmer but I am trying to figure out what venturi is better. Should I go with the turbo venturi kit, or does the tube with the inlet on the side work better? The turbo venturi would fit my design better but performance is a big factor too.

Tried to PM you UTR but inbox is full.

EDIT: Just to answer my own question I was in the LFS today and they had the turbo ventrui kit so I decided to get it, I had to hook it up to the MJ600 with a hose but MAN it works so much better than my stupid angled airline.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I missed this, or didn't read it right, but I thought that you (UTR) had been working on a NC version. Was this posted somewhere and I missed it? I read the entire thread. I am wanting to build a skimmer that will fit in chamber 1 or 2 of a 12g NC dx and still have the lid close. Thanks,

Mark

Archived