ReefCleaners.org

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

UTR, I am building a skimmer for a MJ-900. THe output of the pump is going directly in to an acrylic tube that is 1.5" inner diameter. The collection cup uses a tube that sticks directly into the reaction tube. The reaction tube is approx. 1/2" off of the floor of the skimmer floor. My question is how long should my reaction tube be so the MJ doesn't just pump water directly into the collection cup overflowing everything?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to make a skimmer for the rear chamber of my biocube 8. Do you have anything already drawn up? If not, any suggestions? What pump, design, etc. I could probably do as big as 2 1/4 x 2 5/8 no mods to the tank and 2 1/2 x 2 7/8 if I trim the inner lip off. Height would probably be 12".

Thanks,

Dave

i made one for my bc14.. pretty much the same chamber size as the 8... the last beta is actually installed and working fine. (no micro-bubbles after 2 weeks) the only thing not worked out is the collection cup...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147174

Nice write up. The remote collection cup is an interesting idea. I would be interested to find out UTR's take on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to build one of the versions of this skimmer for my Biocube 8. The absolute maximum dimensions it could be are 2 3/8" x 2 7/8" x 12". It would be better if it was a little smaller than that for ease of getting it in and out of the compartment. What design would be the best option? What pump do you recommend for the skimmer?

Thanks!

Dave

I'm relatively new to SW and I understand the need for a good protein skimmer, but I do not have the room for it, I have a BC8. I was wondering if anyone knew of any issues with modifying a HOB or external type protein skimmer's input and output holes to include a 6 foot piece of tubing to reach from under my cabinet to the tank? Are there any problems with that?

Thanks!

I'm relatively new to SW and I understand the need for a good protein skimmer, but I do not have the room for it, I have a BC8. I was wondering if anyone knew of any issues with modifying a HOB or external type protein skimmer's input and output holes to include a 6 foot piece of tubing to reach from under my cabinet to the tank? Are there any problems with that?

Thanks!

I am going to build a skimmer to fit inside my BC8. I just need to find a pump and I will use a modified version of the Wetworx skimmer.

I am going to build a skimmer to fit inside my BC8. I just need to find a pump and I will use a modified version of the Wetworx skimmer.

I was thinking about that, but I converted my 2nd Chamber into a fuge and I wasn't sure whare I could possible insert a Protein Skimmer. Where are you planning on placing yours?

How are you going to overcome the lid issue - Is there enough room for a collection cup of some sort in the back chamber area?

You have to let me know how it works out for you, I'm extremely interested, as I'm sure many other BC8 owners are.

Can someone help me with this? I would like to make a HOB skimmer for my 5.5 gallon nano-reef. Length and width don't matter, but the skimmer must be 10 inches or less tall[height]. Also, I need one that would allow me to put a filter sock, floss, etc. for mechanical filtration to remove the bigger wastes before the water is actually skimmed. I will probably use a 98 GPH or 114 GPH pump for the skimmer.

Or if someone good at "DIY'ing" would be interested in making me one, PM me and maybe we can work something out[i can't pay a fortune ;)].

thanks

^ Anyone, I'm pretty confused on the first three pages, about three different skimmers were discussed with about a hundred pictures of Jon fitting skimmers together?

UTR: What the were the fittings in posts 155-156 called?

I've been through the conduit aisles at both HD and Lowes and I didn't see anything like them. :( I saw a bunch of longer slip-fit 90-degree and some "flexible" PVC but neither of those are going to cut it. I like how tight they are and anything else I try is going to increase the profile and decrease my limited sump space.

Thinking about just buying two regular 90-degree elbows from the plumbing section and plumbing pipe through the wall similar to how you did the spraybar but I'd rather do your original idea.

UTR: What the were the fittings in posts 155-156 called?

I've been through the conduit aisles at both HD and Lowes and I didn't see anything like them. :( I saw a bunch of longer slip-fit 90-degree and some "flexible" PVC but neither of those are going to cut it. I like how tight they are and anything else I try is going to increase the profile and decrease my limited sump space.

Thinking about just buying two regular 90-degree elbows from the plumbing section and plumbing pipe through the wall similar to how you did the spraybar but I'd rather do your original idea.

I have purchased them at both Home Depot and Lowes. Lowes was cheaper. They are a one piece non-metallic liquid-tight conduit 90. They will be by the conduit and fittings, the rolled flexible plastic and metal conduit, not by the wiring.

Page 8 of this brochure. http://www.carlonsales.com/techinfo/brochu...ex_Brochure.pdf

HTH

I need to pick up a few more tomorrow. I'll get the sku for you if that will help.

I'll get the sku for you if that will help.

Please do!

My wife always makes fun of me because I "can't find anything". With the SKU, I might be able to corral one of the aprons into helping me find them.

Please do!

My wife always makes fun of me because I "can't find anything". With the SKU, I might be able to corral one of the aprons into helping me find them.

I'll get that for you today. If they don't have it in stock, I'm sure they can order it with the SKU, I can also pick some up for you if you need me too, LMK.

Pick-up service would be pretty awesome but I'd hate to wait on shipping if mine have them in town.

If you find cause to pick up a couple extra and I don't find them in stock at my local Lowes/HD, I'd gladly reimburse you for the parts and shipping.

RayWhisperer

Home Depot's SKU # for the 1/2" is..... Well, ok, I don't know which of the #'s are the SKU #, so I'll give you both the numbers.

Above the bar code- LN20DA

Below the bar code- 34481 04395

My HD no longer carries them and won't bring any in. I have 2 of the 1/2" for anybody who wants them. Fosi? They are just collecting dust and dog hair here....

• 1 month later...
Any suggestion on a pump for this 16" tall HOB skimmer?

And are there any modifications i should do to the design?

DIYWetworksskimmerV2.jpg

Interesting design and I really like the drawing. What program did you use to draw it?

Any suggestion on a pump for this 16" tall HOB skimmer?

And are there any modifications i should do to the design?

DIYWetworksskimmerV2.jpg

Anyone???

Thinking on using a 150-200g\h pump with mesh mod impeller....

Kalle.

Archived