Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

gitsumpottery

just want to say thanks for posting this. I made one of these a year and a half ago for our Minibow, and just set the tank up again yesterday. I made some small changes to the thing including a small bioball needlewheel in the Aquaclear 10 pump. The thing is working awesome and we get good skimmate now.

Zac

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello folks, can anyone assist me with purchasing a few pairs of these 2 elbows that UTR sourced here:

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-47-...bow-602120.aspx

&

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-47-...ree-602119.aspx

.. and ship them to me in Europe? I got several friends that are interested in this project with tight skimmer space, so we need a few pairs (4-5), but the e-tailer will not ship internationally, hence this post.

If someone is willing to assist, reply by PM so we can deal with the address/payment details, no need to vandalize this great thread any more than I already have.

UTR, as usual, your PM box is overflowing... :P

Just going to answer what I can for UTR. He's busy with school and what not.

/gets down and begs to have a skimmer made for her and she'll pay to have it shipped!

MCD, I rather doubt he wants to do this. For the simple reason he'd be flooded with requests to build them for many, many members.

Sorry if I missed this, or didn't read it right, but I thought that you (UTR) had been working on a NC version. Was this posted somewhere and I missed it? I read the entire thread. I am wanting to build a skimmer that will fit in chamber 1 or 2 of a 12g NC dx and still have the lid close. Thanks,

Mark

Fiero, yes he made one for a Nano Cube. However, not a DX, but an OG. The OG has 4 rear chambers, instead of the 3 on the DX. So, if it fit's in an OG, it'll fit in a DX. Though you may have to modify the design somwhat.

No, he hasn't yet posted the design to my knowledge.

Hello folks, can anyone assist me with purchasing a few pairs of these 2 elbows that UTR sourced here:

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-47-...bow-602120.aspx

&

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-47-...ree-602119.aspx

.. and ship them to me in Europe? I got several friends that are interested in this project with tight skimmer space, so we need a few pairs (4-5), but the e-tailer will not ship internationally, hence this post.

If someone is willing to assist, reply by PM so we can deal with the address/payment details, no need to vandalize this great thread any more than I already have.

UTR, as usual, your PM box is overflowing... :P

John, I'll be heading to a local hardware store in the next few weeks to build a sump. If I find any, I'll shoot you a PM. However, wouldn't all your PVC and whatnot be metric diameters? Would something like this(with standard diameters) work in conjunction with what you'd be using?

Just going to answer what I can for UTR. He's busy with school and what not.

MCD, I rather doubt he wants to do this. For the simple reason he'd be flooded with requests to build them for many, many members.

Fiero, yes he made one for a Nano Cube. However, not a DX, but an OG. The OG has 4 rear chambers, instead of the 3 on the DX. So, if it fit's in an OG, it'll fit in a DX. Though you may have to modify the design somwhat.

No, he hasn't yet posted the design to my knowledge.

John, I'll be heading to a local hardware store in the next few weeks to build a sump. If I find any, I'll shoot you a PM. However, wouldn't all your PVC and whatnot be metric diameters? Would something like this(with standard diameters) work in conjunction with what you'd be using?

Ray there is not problem with metric/inches since these will fit on an MJ which (thank God) is standardized in both worlds....

I would be much obliged if you could notify me when you know you'll be going for some shopping of your own, but just in case an ad-hoc spree happens, I need 3 pairs of those (three 3/4" and three 1/2").

• 1 month later...
AC802non-MCEskimmerpeg-1.jpg

AC802non-MCEskimmerpeg2.jpg

The holes on the 'bubble plate' should be 1/4", and rows of 3 or 4 holes wide (how ever many you think you can fit in. 6-8 rows should be plenty.

UTR,

Wow, I read through the whole thread. Great stuff and thanks for making it all available. i'm putting together a 75g and wonder if you have a design for an HOB that uses the AC802? Or, anything bigger? I have a Quiet One 3000 pump that seems to be popular to mesh mod.

• 1 month later...

I am ready to make one of these up and wondered if anyone has any experience or advice on what size of mesh wheel to use on a Aquaclear 70 with a modded housing. This is the completed housing. It is about 2 1/4" id and 1" of usuable depth. Inlet and outlet are 1"NPT. What size/type of mesh should I use?

IM000471.jpg

maybe i'm missing something, but i was just wondering what is pulling the watter into the skimmer?? Or is the inlet just left bare same as the outlet?? I'm getting tired reading all the post and all the jumping around.

any help would be great.

maybe i'm missing something, but i was just wondering what is pulling the watter into the skimmer?? Or is the inlet just left bare same as the outlet?? I'm getting tired reading all the post and all the jumping around.

any help would be great.

The skimmer is fed by the tank drain.

The skimmer is fed by the tank drain.

so just tap off the drain line from the the tank. Duh!!! Makes a lot of sense and it's so simple. What about that standpipe?? I see a 90 degree elbow, to a section of pvc "T" Joint. Does the top of the "T" stay open??

thanks again in advance.

so just tap off the drain line from the the tank. Duh!!! Makes a lot of sense and it's so simple. What about that standpipe?? I see a 90 degree elbow, to a section of pvc "T" Joint. Does the top of the "T" stay open??

thanks again in advance.

I would put a ball valve on the line to the skimmer to tune the flow through it.

I am not sure what you are asking about the t and 90.

I would put a ball valve on the line to the skimmer to tune the flow through it.

I am not sure what you are asking about the t and 90.

2663133440098202896cLkaLm_th.jpg

I'm talking about the skimmer outlet to the PVC. So i'm guessing there is ehough pressure to allow the water to exit from the bottom "skimmer outlet". Sorry to ask such dumb a$$ questions.

2663133440098202896cLkaLm_th.jpg

I'm talking about the skimmer outlet to the PVC. So i'm guessing there is ehough pressure to allow the water to exit from the bottom "skimmer outlet". Sorry to ask such dumb a$$ questions.

No worries, I'm not the expert here but I'll help where I can. We all have to start somewhere!

The outlet standpipe returns the skimmed water to the sump/tank and regulates the water height in the skimmer. I think he had suggested leaving it long and trimming to get the level you want. I can't remember for sure. Some of this including the inlet source is dependent on which version of the skimmer you are talking about. The recirculating design is the only one that gets fed from the tank drain. Some of the others actually feed the skimmer with the skimmer pump. The recirc design is the most efficient and the one I am building.

HTH

Dave

thanks again in advance.

Sorry, missed the picture you posted. That is a recirc design and the "T" does stay open on the top. That allows any air bubbles to disperse before the water goes into the tank. Thanks for posting that pic. I was actually looking for it earlier and am going to use that outlet design because my sump won't allow the integrated outlet.

Sorry, missed the picture you posted. That is a recirc design and the "T" does stay open on the top. That allows any air bubbles to disperse before the water goes into the tank. Thanks for posting that pic. I was actually looking for it earlier and am going to use that outlet design because my sump won't allow the integrated outlet.

No problem. Thanks for the help BTW.

I'm building one soon too. i would like to make that bubble pipe difuser, just gotta figure out dimensions for it. Also, how thick do you think that acrylic tube is?? I guess i gotta find some tubing.

No problem. Thanks for the help BTW.

I'm building one soon too. i would like to make that bubble pipe difuser, just gotta figure out dimensions for it. Also, how thick do you think that acrylic tube is?? I guess i gotta find some tubing.

I got my at McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com and it is 1/8 thick which I think is plenty. I may have a little left over. I'll have to wait and see. I don't think it was too much there though.

The silencer for the intake can be seen in the top left of the photo.

What pump are you going to use?

I have an Aquaclear 70 that I have the new housing you can see above. I am going to try a needlepoint or mesh (or maybe both) mod. I wish I could find the thread that discussed that. Still looking for that.

I got my at McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com and it is 1/8 thick which I think is plenty. I may have a little left over. I'll have to wait and see. I don't think it was too much there though.

The silencer for the intake can be seen in the top left of the photo.

What pump are you going to use?

I have an Aquaclear 70 that I have the new housing you can see above. I am going to try a needlepoint or mesh (or maybe both) mod. I wish I could find the thread that discussed that. Still looking for that.

Prolly gonna go with the conduit elbows and a MJ1200. Have one lying around, so why sepnd more money.

Thanks for teh website gonna check it now.

Prolly gonna go with the conduit elbows and a MJ1200. Have one lying around, so why sepnd more money.

Thanks for teh website gonna check it now.

My local Lowes has the elbow super cheap. If you have trouble finding them, let me know. I have a few here and can get more.

I bought the 4" because I needed it for another project (dust collector for the top of my table saw). It looks like it should work fine though the 5" may be better. I am building the larges size so for a maxijet, the 4" may be better.

I am running an Urchin skimmer now and want a bit more. My tank is a 36 gallon cube + sump so like 50+ gallons total. I plan on stocking very heavy SPS so I think I will need the larger size. The Aquaclear is substantially more powerful than the 1200. I have both. The 1200 is an awesome pump though in a smaller size. My son has an Aquapod 24 and I think we will build him a skimmer for that out of a maxijet, either the 1200 or a 900.

My local Lowes has the elbow super cheap. If you have trouble finding them, let me know. I have a few here and can get more.

I bought the 4" because I needed it for another project (dust collector for the top of my table saw). It looks like it should work fine though the 5" may be better. I am building the larges size so for a maxijet, the 4" may be better.

I am running an Urchin skimmer now and want a bit more. My tank is a 36 gallon cube + sump so like 50+ gallons total. I plan on stocking very heavy SPS so I think I will need the larger size. The Aquaclear is substantially more powerful than the 1200. I have both. The 1200 is an awesome pump though in a smaller size. My son has an Aquapod 24 and I think we will build him a skimmer for that out of a maxijet, either the 1200 or a 900.

Thank for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing ho your skimmer performs.

Undertheradar

No. I must admit, I learned something about myself through this all. As much as I like design and R&D and developing new products, I really dont have any aspirations for mass production / assembly. Its just not fun once you have made one of a given design.

So, I have teamed up with companies, and many of my designs are being used by companies like ATB. CoralVue is using the Laguna pumps as skimmer pumps as per the 'DIY Red Dragon' thread over at RC, as well as ORCA and ATB of course.

Otherwise ATB just came out with a HOB skimmer from my designs that is driven by an Aquaclear 70/802 pump as per the 'pimp my pump' thread.

Undertheradar,

Can you shoot me an E-mail if you get the chance. Your PM is full.

I'm new to SW and I'm building a 15g with a 10g sump/fuge under it. The fuge will be along the front like "johnny deuce" did.

Can I get on board with one of your skimmers? I would need it for the 10g. I have a spare MJ1200 coming. I also have the Plexiglas glue coming in the mail for my overflow box.

I could glue it up myself, but it would be great if I could buy one complete from you so I don't mess anything up. I realize you are probably swamped with these requests though.

Please let me know what you can do. I have a paypal account for instant transfer or I can pay another way.

Thank you

Chris

Undertheradar
Undertheradar,

Can you shoot me an E-mail if you get the chance. Your PM is full.

I'm new to SW and I'm building a 15g with a 10g sump/fuge under it. The fuge will be along the front like "johnny deuce" did.

Can I get on board with one of your skimmers? I would need it for the 10g. I have a spare MJ1200 coming. I also have the Plexiglas glue coming in the mail for my overflow box.

I could glue it up myself, but it would be great if I could buy one complete from you so I don't mess anything up. I realize you are probably swamped with these requests though.

Please let me know what you can do. I have a paypal account for instant transfer or I can pay another way.

Thank you

Chris

CSchmuck@neo.rr.com

Sorry, I dont mfg any of my designs. The last one I had for a HOB is being produced by ATB in Austria.

Thanks anyways. I will try to build it from the plans.

I am building this version:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ost&id=3680

with the MJ1200, but it will only be 14" tall for my 10g sump.

Couple questions...

The Water inlet toward the top. Is this just a hole and should it be centered at the height of the water in my sump?

The outlet at the bottom. This is the one that needs plumed with PVC pipe to the top of the tank and then back down correct?

The collection cup. Will water want to seep out around this? And to help fix that could I glue a ring of 1/8"x1/8" inside for it to sit on?

Thanks

Chris

Archived