Pod Your Reef

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone still have copies of the diagrams and specs for this thing? None of the pictures seem to work.

I'd be very interested in making one of these gems.

Thanks!

Here is a drawing of the UTR Spray Injection Skimmer. Please excuse the poor quality. I threw it together. I made slight mods to UTR's original design but this is based on his. 80gph pump used.

UTRSkimmer.jpg

Yeah I seem to remember seeing them in there somewhere( or maybe just a pic and description of what was changed don't remember for sure) and I've been trying to pm him for a few weeks now as well.

UTR empty that box!:)

OK, an update on my design, and why it had problems...

"Problems?" you say? Yes, a serious problem involving not enough back pressure on water exiting the standpipe, and my very stupid/unreliable way I tried to fix it.

In this pic, you'll see that the outlet standpipe has a piece of off-white filter foam stuffed in it:

post-15106-1131925950_thumb.jpg

The foam was supposed to add back-pressure to compensate for the fact that I had a 1/2" CPVC inlet and a 1/2" PVC outlet. The backpressure has to be there so bubbles will collect, and skimming can actually take place.

Anyway, this design has a major flaw: foam can be pushed in/out, clog with time, change density/degrade with time, and in general, is very touchy to adjust. In trying to get the adjustment right, I adjusted it, looked at it and said, "yeah, that looks good!" and walked away... not long afterwards, the foam shifted, or became waterloged and created more backpressure, and the water level in the skimmer rose to the point of overflowing into the skimmate cup area, down the drain tube into the cup, and eventually it overflowed the cup, spilled all over my cabinet, and then all over the floor (carpet! :angry: ). In the meantime, the ATO floatswitch says "look, the water level is dropping, that must be evaporation :o ... I'll add some fresh water! :D hum-dee-dum... still adding fresh water... wow, that's a lot of evaporation!... la-dee-da... wow, that's like 2 gallons of fresh water... well, I'm all out!" And so the 6 gallon-total system's salinity crashes, and I loose two nice sps frags...at least some of them and all the other critters made it!

So here's the real fix if you use a bigger outlet size than inlet size: Make them the same size, dummy! :P I just beveled the edges of a piece of 1/2" CPVC so I could press-fit it into a 1/2" PVC oulet, and presto-chango, equalized backpressure, and my skimmer works with no risk now...

Wow... sometimes I can be a real dummy! :wacko:

good luck, and try to think thing through better than I did! fingerscrossed

Jared

Undertheradar

The recirculating design might be of greater advantage to you as the water level around the skimmer wont have such a bearing on the pump's performance/bubble count.

I just wanted to add...I finished re-posting the old pics in this thread so that all the diagrams and step by step are viewable again since the 'great file migration' that left them in the dust.

Oh, and I cant empty that box. I have contacted CM without response. My PM box is all messed up. I have pics there that dont exist, 144 outgoing messages that dont really exist either. Maybe Gilman or someone can fix it for me...

Hey UTR, I'll just post it here. Any weekend other than this weekend is OK for me. I'll drive the cube to you. Just give me somewhere easy to find as I don't know Millwaukee. PM me if you can w/ email adress.

Undertheradar
Hey UTR, I'll just post it here. Any weekend other than this weekend is OK for me. I'll drive the cube to you. Just give me somewhere easy to find as I don't know Millwaukee. PM me if you can w/ email adress.

Well, my addy isnt that hard actually. Just use yahoo maps. 3421 N Oakland Ave #5, 53211 Just 2 turns off of Interstate-43.

UTR, if you try empty PM folders and empty the one with 144 messages (sent messages, I believe), that SHOULD take care of the problem. I had the same thing, 27 messages couldn't see, so just did the above and poof gone. I think some messages were lost in the shift and were sent to these folders. The pcitures, those you need to talk to admin about I guess.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

UTR, you have plans for the re-circ design? I'm thinking about converting my present skmmer into one, I think it would really improve my skimming ability (would also make it a little taller so I can make the neck much narrower at the top). It looks like it would be fairly simple to mod an asperating version, I can do a small tee off my return pump and use my MJ600 for the circulation.

Sam

This is weird... my skimmer is not producing any foam anymore. For the past week or so, it haqs just been making a little 1/2" tall head of foam, some scum collects there, but it never builds up and flows into the collection area. Maybe my water is too clean?... But that seems so improbable I have trouble believing it. Well, we'll see if the new one I'm building fixes it, and if not, then I'll just stare in disbeliefe at my tank, so clean, the skimmer can't skim.

By the way, there is just as much bubbles and turbulence in the reaction chamber as usual, and my salinity is stable at 1.025. Ideas?

Jared

I don't know either. I've been battling this as well. I kind of doubt my tank is that clean, with three fish and a ton of rock (plus I just added two shirmp and rock rubble, but the shirmp are TINY and the rock has been ultra cured). Is it actually foaming or is it just bubbling at the top of the water level? Take a napkin to the foam and see if its dark.

Sam

My skimmer is finally skimming. By leaving it alone for a weekend, I got black skimmate finally. UTR, I would really love the plans for the recirc!

Sam

Thanks a bunch UTR. I finally got my current skimmer skimming well, but I'll prbly make one of these as well, and run two for ultimate skimming capacity. Plus, this new design looks like it rocks (keeps up with the deltecs...)!

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Great diy UTR!

I'm planning on making one of these for my 20G long. My dad has access to a £20,000 laser cutter at his work, plus 3mm acrylic sheets, so I can get it cut VERY accurately.

One question: Why use the PVC pipe goign through the whole skimmer instead of a single bulkhead on the side for the venturi design?

Sam

Undertheradar

Try making the whole skimmer, then adding in the bulkhead...you cant...its too narrow. So you could, but then you would loose a whole bulkhead. For the HOB one as well, the bulkhead would be much too wide to fit inside that mixing outlet anyways.

For the recirculating model however...I do use a bulkhead (the other 3 fittings are conduit fittings) on the outlet pipe.

Archived