SaltCritters.com

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

Undertheradar

The easiest way to really adjust the cup height is by putting a rubber band around the cup. Otherwise, the collection cup will slide all the way to the bottom most of the time. Just like a remora.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't really tell from the pic... how do you adjust the cup height?

Can you post what parts are needed and how big they have to be exactly?

Thanks!

Sam

The cup on mine is a friction fit so it stays in place.

Undertheradar

For the most part, they can be friction fit...but not every skimmer will be exactly the same for this. The friction fit can be a PITA sometimes to get just right, and then its that much more of a trick to get it in after cleaning sometimes. So far, the friction fit works, but after some time, the cup tends to fall down to the lowest point unless I put a rubber band around the cup.

There are other ways to do this as well. You could tap the side of the skimmer body at the top where the cup sits, thread it, and use a nylon machine screw/bolt. When you put the cup in, hold it in place, and then tighten the screw against the cup.

• 3 weeks later...

stand.jpg

Thank you Undertheradar. Your skimmer works like a dream!

:D

Thats ONE DAY of skimmate Btw. (It wouldn't be so wet if I didn't keep dropping the airline into the sump)

UTR

I'm kinda lost in all the tech terms of some of this. I just got done reading you entire thread. I've got a 20L with no sump. I'd like to build either an in-tank skimmer, or a HOB skimmer.

Where exactly do I attach the powerhead?

What alterations do I need to make for it to work properly for a 20L?

For the HOB model what are the correct dimmension for getting the acrylic cut?

Is there anyway I can bother you into just telling me what to go get from HD, LOL.

I can pretty much put anything together, but due to my female brain, I can't remember all the parts and sizes I need!!!

I'm going to HD today to try and get this stuff to build one.

Thank you.

This is an awesome thread !!!

Has anyone thought of using cpvc upside-down U tubes to adjust the output height?

Basically place a bulkhead at the bottom of the skimmer then connect it with a 90* cvpc pipe and run a piece of cpvc up and then connect 2 90* pipes to go back down. The top of the upside-down U will be the water level height inside the skimmer. If you want to have a lower height just shorten the cpvc pipe and lower the upside-down U. Obviously you wouldn't want to do this too much b/c changing out pipes is inconvenient but you also won't be stuck w/ a permanent hole. If you really wanted to be creative you could simply tip the cvpc at an angle to shorten the height. (i.e. Tip the entire pipe so it no longer runs parallel with the skimmer but at a 30* angle)

What do you guys think?

Undertheradar

eshook. That is a good idea, but attaching PVC to acrylic is rather hard to do well. A bulkhead would never work...at least not on an end since the skimmer is only 1" thick, and even a 1/2" bulkhead requires about a 1-5/8" area. On the larger skimmer (2"x5"x20") I do use a bulkhead, but on the small one, its just not worth it.

That has been an issue all along, however, I have corrected it in two ways. One, I bought about 20' of 5/8" OD acrylic pipe. This can be welded to acrylic very well, and can then fit a standard 5/8" CPVC fitting. I did use this for a bit on a test model just to experiment...but it wont be necessary. The new version of the skimmer solves all the previous versions' problems and has an adjustable skimmate cup so rather than adjusting the outlet height, the cup can simply be raised or lowered in the skimmer...like a remora.

heres a sneak peak...

I am working on a nano-cube version as well. So far, the results are very nice.

post-7237-1138596088_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

Ok, so you can fit one of the recirculating MJ1200 venturis in there then...right? That unit measures 2"x5"x20-24"h 4"x5"x20-24" with the MJ1200 on the side. That skimmer is perhaps my favorite of the bunch...it makes something like 12oz. of skimmate for me a week on nothing but a 40B with 3 fish and a bunch of SPS.

Can you please throw up the link to which design you mean? There are about 4 different ones throughout the 17 pages of this thread :D

But yes that should fit quite happily, i will actually be building the sump

Ok, so you can fit one of the recirculating MJ1200 venturis in there then...right? That unit measures 2"x5"x20-24"h 4"x5"x20-24" with the MJ1200 on the side. That skimmer is perhaps my favorite of the bunch...it makes something like 12oz. of skimmate for me a week on nothing but a 40B with 3 fish and a bunch of SPS.

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I am really impressed with your skills. The plans look awesome, and your most recent one rocks. You make it look so simple, though I don't think I can do it. I don't have any tools that could cut and drill acrylic.

For a 12g, I think it is, glass aquarium, which HOB design do you recommend? What powerhead should be efficient? Approximately, how much would building one of these things cost? That includes acrylic, cpvc, powerhead, etc.

when can i buy that skimmer on page 17...that you did on Jan.30th..lol, I want it sooo bad! I love your design man, and you really tried your best, which means best results, and a happy you!...lol NOt to mention healthier tank!!!

Flick

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a question. I made the aspirating ventury skimmer and it skims great for an hour or two then nothing. There is a good amount of bubbles but now it is just kind of fizzing. Not making any foam. Is there something i can do or just let it break in some more? Its been set up for about 3 hours. I soaked it in hot water to remove oils

Archived