• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adinsxq

• Orange Crush

• supernip

• oogie

Originally posted by Gilman

There's rumors on the internets about another contest coming up soon here on Nano-Reef.com that has nothing to do with reefs at all.......   (mystery music)

coming soon: NR Idol!

I thought I was going to buy a bigger tank, but now I just ordered a nano for the contest. Now I'll have a tank for my desk at work when I'm done. Is there any problem with fish going 2 days (the weekend) without food?

I need some clarifcation of the rule in OPEN cat.

1. Has the entrant utilized safe & effective modifications to allow him to expand the stock nanocube? Does the tank follow all of the restrictions to qualify it as a modified tank? (10 pts)

a. Are the modifications necessary for the health/appearance of the tank and its inhabitants?

b. Are the modifications safe?

c. Are the modifications reproducible?

d. The tank with modifications must not contain more than 12 gallons of water. If total volume is greater than 12 gallons, zero points will be awarded.

Its 12 gallon of water right? As stated in 1. d.

Not volume of tank but actually water right?

Orange Crush

oogie: 12 gals water. I think we may have originally meant total tank volume, but it's obviously not worded that way.

So, technically I could get a 20ga sump, fill it full of stuff like rock, etc., as long as the actualy amount of water I use doesn't surpass 12ga.?

So, technically I could get a 20ga sump, fill it full of stuff like rock, etc., as long as the actualy amount of water I use doesn't surpass 12ga.??? ?

Originally posted by jmt

So, technically I could get a 20ga sump, fill it full of stuff like rock, etc., as long as the actualy amount of water I use doesn't surpass 12ga.??? ?

Yes. :P

Sorry... going to have to be strict on the rules.

Your tank will have to be judged against the OPEN tanks for the following issues/reasons:

1. Powerhead

a. you cut the tubing, this is a modification

b. 108 gph exceeds output of the stock pump

2. Airstone

a. assuming that the function of this addition is to aerate the bioballs over what would be provided in the stock configuration, this is a modificaton

I switched your title to [OPEN]. Do not feel as though you're at any disadvantage in the open category. Remember, the points are weighted very heavily in favor of your skill and creativity as an aquarist (an not as much who's the maddest scientist)

Upright Joe

Open is fine by me.

FYI, if you reread my post, I actually didn't cut the tubing. I will now though. :) Although 108 gph exceeds 106, I'm running at about 30 gph.

I've got no defense on the airstone.

Honestly, I just don't want to go up against oogie ;)

Originally posted by oogie

Yes.  :P

awesome, I'm going to make a 2-foot square 8" shallow algae refugium with a 5" deep sand bed (I'm allowing a gallon of water to mix with the sand ;) ) to hook up to my jbj 6 - I'll never have to feed againB)

(better cover it though, just to keep evaporation down :P

but I'd rather play in the stock category

Are we allowed to submit early entries? I probably will be wanting to move my tank to my office in about 2 months, well before November. I know that my tank won't show as much progress with an early entry, but is it against the rules?

Also, is there any downside to submitting early pictures in the thread? I personally don't plan on holding out to post any pictures, but I'm sure it has crossed peoples mind that if the judges have been able to look at a tank for 6 months, it wont seem as special as a tank newly posted with the same aquascaping skill level. The tank that has already had pictures posted will lack the newness factor.

Of course I'm just in this for fun and will be posing pictures shortly, I just hope that others do the same :)

Upright Joe

Ok, so I'm in the open competition now (and happy about it) with the cube I've been posting about.

Can I start a second in the stock competition or is it one cube per person? I've got an idea for a great stock cube.

I don't see a problem with entering a Stock tank in addition to the one you've already got in Open. Start a new thread and submit a second (different) entry photo.

I'm glad everyone's having a good time with this (despite the fedex issues).

:happy:

Upright Joe

One other question. Are our threads in this forum our entries? I see the limit on 10 or 20 photos in the rules. If I've posted an image in my thread, does that count as a submitted image or are we expected to compile our final entry at the end in one big post.

I'm asking because I'd like to document my progress along the way but I don't necessarily want every picture to count as part of my entry. There may be images that I put out there just for informational purposes that have nothing to due with the actual competition.

You're okay. Upload as many images into your thread as you like.

We'll let you know towards the closing of the contest how to get things in order for the judges.

If I wanted to restart my aquarium in the OPEN forum, would I need to resubmit an entry photo? Right now I am not too please with how my current aquarium is doing.

RedKnightSpecial

I guess I should have posted this question here first, instead of the Comments on Nano contest tanks thread. Sorry, I am new here and still learning my way around. I have been reading however, and am learning fast. I am gonna order a NanoCube 6 from Nanocustoms on Friday anyway, so I might as well join the competition.

Is it too late? The rules say you can't start before June 1st, but they say nothing about starting after.

Of course I am a complete noob. I dig mushrooms, polyps and other "noob" stuff, so I am not expecting to do too well. But I will try, dangit!

• Recommended Discussions