Innovative Marine Aquariums

-> Contest Q&A

Orange Crush

i think that quoted statement means:

if those exotics look like hell, you get a poor grade.

if you've got xenia and gsp thriving and looking sharp, you get a good grade.

you're judged on what you're raising and how you're raising it. not given extra points for "difficulty" or exoticness. ???

i don't like the cube limitation either. i'll wait for the "open-open" contest.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adinsxq

• Orange Crush

• supernip

• oogie

Orange Crush
Originally posted by newbiecarlz

is this an international comp or US only?

You're more than welcome to join, though if you win, it's up to the sponsors donating the prizes whether or not they cover the shipping.

Tiny: exactly

Oogie: that's one of the last details being ironed out. We're trying to keep the complaints down to a minimum.

Although I'm not a huge fan of jbj's nano cube, this contest is one of the coolest ideas i've seen in a LONG time. Tiny says he will wait for the "open open" competition. Although this would be an interesting exercise, there would be so many variables in judging it would be almost impossible to pick a winner. I know the same can be said for the nanocube competition, but at least the playing field has been leveled by using the same tank and in the stock category, the same lighting.

I know this is going to be a lot of work for our moderators and judges, and there will likely be a good bit of grumbling because of it, but I'd like to say that this is an excellent idea. Good luck to all entrants.

One question about the stock category:

Is the lighting required to be the jbj light bulb that *came* in the nano-cube, or is it allowed to replace it with another 18w bulb? I know this is really splitting hairs, but I think there could be a lot of benefit to replacing the stock bulb with one of a little better quality. This, of course, could be contrary to the whole point of the "stock" contest.

-q

it's not about winning, q. it's about learning. mphtmf...hahahaha!

actually, i do think the level playing field is a very good idea. it's just that i can't really justify a cube's price without sacrificing some male genitalia to the mrs right now. i just dropped a grand on the display tank and i would've been pushing it.

i think the stock and mod concepts are very good. like you said, it makes the judging a LOT easier and levels the playing field for the participants.

good luck everyone!

Originally posted by tinyreef

it's just that i can't really justify a cube's price without sacrificing some male genitalia to the mrs right now.  i just dropped a grand on the display tank and i would've been pushing it.

silly puppy...

$79.99 for the 6 gallon nanocube (fans, LED, 18w light, 106 gph powerhead)

$10 AGA standard 5.5 gallon tank

$44 Current-USA 12" Sattelite 18w + LED (no fans) *

$ 6 Sattelite docking mounts (light legs) *

$13 Maxijet 404 106gph *

$73

*Marinedepot listed price

Who in their right gourd would actually buy an 18w fixture?

I won't be entering because I find the cost a bit prohibitive(for a setup I'd have to gut to really use anyway)...I would've liked to see an AGA 2.5 contest...but maybe that will happen next time. Good luck to everyone else. Have fun.

Cheers,

Fred

i already have the 5.5g sitting on the shelf. it's a bit salt-encrusted and icky tho. :x

already have the PH, base rock, and who needs artifical lights? :

out of pocket would've been zero really. but if i added another container of water in the house, that might result in certain puppy organs in another container of water on the night table. X)

as a startup, the cube is good for a turnkey. it's sooo cute.

free might be acceptable in the house, right now.

$80+ for yet another tank? N-E-U-T-E-R spells "no".

Originally posted by tinyreef

i already have the 5.5g sitting on the shelf.  it's a bit salt-encrusted and icky tho. :x  

already have the PH, base rock, and who needs artifical lights?  :  

out of pocket would've been zero really.  

Tiny I agree with you, most of us probably do have most, if not all of the equipment necessary to start up a 2.5, 5.5, or 10g already lying around the house. The planning on this thing began a long time ago, and this announcement was originally going to go out before RDO posted their contest. Why delay? By now, the major nanocube vendors have the tank in stock (but believe me, nanocustom's offer to NR members is the best one out there) so it is now available to anyone who wants to play. Why the nanocube? As you mentioned, most of us have the stuff for a nano tank readily available, but on that same note, many of us are currently running such a tank. Not many people have this particular model and for the same reasons brought up in some of the previous posts (including yours), this is one way (not the only; maybe not the the absolute best) to "level the playing field"

:) (I got my tax return... did you?)

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

Who in their right gourd would actually buy an 18w fixture?

I won't be entering because I find the cost a bit prohibitive(for a setup I'd have to gut to really use anyway)...I would've liked to see an AGA 2.5 contest...but maybe that will happen next time.  Good luck to everyone else.  Have fun.

Cheers,  

Fred

A contest dedicated to AGA 2.5s is not a bad idea. The only downside of such is the delay between announcement and official start time that this would require. Not everyone has a 2.5 in their back pocket. Not everyone has readily available the pumps or filters either. Lighting a 2.5 can be tricky, probably the quickest solution is to use a 13w or 18w cfl desklamp. How much do those cost? $50 at your local office supply store? I personally appreciate nice things and would probably opt to build a hood. Who wants to fart around with a saw while his competition is already cycling rock or positioning coral?

Is there an issue with low light levels on the 6 gallon JBJ? I still don't see what's so uncomfortable about 18w pc over about a 10" x 10" area. I can think of quite a few species that will do very well under these conditions which I believe is the goal of those entrants who choose the stock category. Selection and patience. Afterall, any joke reefer can saturate a nano and cram a tank shotgun style and have decent results; you've seen it I'm sure.

I was planning on submitting BOTH a 2.5g AND a 5.5g. I will still be making these, since I did not expect/hope to win anything. I do not want to compete, but it would be nice to follow others build of similar tanks all at the same time.

I will be logging all the progress of both these tanks, but would prefer if there was some sort of contest. I will be in one over at RC, but would have prefered to post in this community.

This is a cool contest. Can't wait to scrap up $80 for the cube. For the people that are anti $79.99, I'm sure a stocked successfull cube could generate a much higher resale price. If you have other tanks equipment etc...the cost really wouldn't be that high.

I also think the stock contest will show some skill in regards to a lower light system. I have always run a lower light system, and I will vouch that you really would be surprised with what you can keep healthy under minimal light.

Why not make it a straight 10 gallon contest? everyone can get those with no problem, and they aren't an arm and leg. I like the idea of using the JBJ tank, but I dunno, it is hard to smack down that cash and then think about buying animals for it. I think a rule should be you should have been a nano-reef member and have posted pictures of your inhabitants in the past to be able to use them in the contest. (PITA, yes, but it will keep those lurkers who contribute notta or those heavy pocketed forum surfers from winning a community type contest.)

We all know the nicest all micromussa tank can whomp on the best looking xenia tank with sheer votes. even votes of unbiased mods. Who likes xenia anyways, blech!

Honestly, I'm not entering unless I find a 6 JBJ for dirt cheap. And no, for a college kid, $80 plus shipping isn't dirt. It's 1/2 a math book! LOL.

I hope to join, it sounds like fun regardless of the mishaps. :)

Please read the previous posts in this thread; I think all your concerns have already been addressed. Thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by Orange Crush

Please use this thread for any questions/comments (positive only please ;))you have until the new contest forum is started. Thanks!

WTF am I talking about? Click HERE!

Confused as to the 'rules'. I know the categories, but was wondering about more details. I bought a 6g nano on March 6. It has been up for a couple months plus. Is it eligible? I have no corals, just a yellow clown goby, and one sexy shrimp, cleanup crew atm. The only thing I can say I have is coraline aglae. And what exactly can go into the stock cube? Wouldn't someone with an established reef system be at a huge advatage as they could simply import stock into the new tank?

Thanks!

As stated in OC's announcement, the contest does not begin until June 1st to allow anyone wishing to particate, ample time to purchase a tank. The contest ends November 30th, a hearty six months after the official start date which should minimize the possible "advantages" you're referring to. A few of you now have voiced concerns that anyone with a large tank on the side, can just dump their most expensive frags into the nanocube and win. It is, however, hard to fake growth and maturity in a nanoreef. Frag tanks are obvious and this is not a popularity contest. This your chance to show your creativity as well as control based on limited resources and materials. Please wait for the offical rules and judging criteria to be posted for further details.

Your particular tank will have had a 3 month head start and is ineligible, sorry. Keep the quesitons, comments, and suggestions coming. Thanks.

EtOH_is_good

are the detailed rules still being hammered out? would like some clarification. restrictions on using pre-cured lr from established tanks? would using sunlight eliminate entry in the stock division?

Originally posted by Six

We all know the nicest all micromussa tank can whomp on the best looking xenia tank with sheer votes. even votes of unbiased mods. Who likes xenia anyways, blech!

I used to think you were hot but now that you've badmouthed xenia, I have to take off 5 points. :(

PS

Xenia>micromussa

this is surely enticing, back in my glory day's i'd have sold my 12g OG Nano-Cube and gotten a 6g to stock-up.

it'll be fun to see this progress! :)

• Recommended Discussions