Cultivated Reef

--> winniebagel's 30G long upgrade <--

winniebagel

winniebagel

I received my 36" Aquamedic OceanLight fixture through the mail Friday. Fixture itself is pretty light, probably 15-20 lbs... Ballast box is a whole different story in itself. It's about the size of an xbox and about 50 lbs. Almost had a heart attack trying to lift that thing outta the box!

Worried about hanging it from the ceiling, so I'm prolly going to hang them from some L-brackets drilled into the wall studs for more stability. More to come tomorrow when I get the L-brackets...

AquamedicLight.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have mine hanging from ceiling. no probs at all. they have something called an aqua wall tho. I bought it new, but just ended up hanging it.

if you want to buy it from me. lmk. ;)

for some reason I can't find a store that has a pic of it . but scroll down to page 6 (last page) for diagram of it and how it works (it slides foward and backwards for easy access to the tank):

http://www.aqua-medic.de/eng/support/aquastarlight.pdf

but the aquawall is cool cuz it ROLLS back and forth. hahaha. man, I checked marinedepot yet I couldnt find it. lack of sleep.

of course not. hahah. eh. i guess I could use it for somethin else. like a sliding wall mounted beer tray.

winniebagel

Thanks T.Durden. I was thinking of just using the T5s and the Aqualine HQI DE 10K MH bulbs that came with the fixture. Can't wait to get this baby up and running.

speakerguy

Hey Winnie,

Could I come check out your lights sometime? I just bought a 70RR from Austin Aquariums and I'm trying to decide on lighting. I'm moving to Dallas in about 2 weeks though, so lemme know!

Mark

winniebagel

Talk about procrastination and this being a slow project... it's been a week and a half since I said I'll hang the lights up. X)

I finally got around to installing the light brackets this weekend and finding a majority of the pvc parts for the overflows. Should be another week or so until I can get the tank drilled - I'm still waiting for single union ball valves.

BracketLights01.jpg

BracketLights02.jpg

Reefer Addict

winnie-Right now I am stuck in the mud. My "Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refugium" is not set to be finished util the 31st of this month...

I can tell that your setup is going to rock!!!!!!

winniebagel
Originally posted by Reefer Addict

winnie-Right now I am stuck in the mud.  My "Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refugium" is not set to be finished util the 31st of this month...

That really bites having to wait for your Signature Tigahboy Sump/Refugium©, RA. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go insane with the waiting period. Kinda sucks playing the waiting game...

Thanks again for the compliments!

winniebagel

Not as of yet - I hope to drill the tank during the 3-day weekend coming up, so there should be plenty o' pictures then. I'm ashamed of how my dining room looks currently anyway... it looks like Marine Depot exploded in there. :D

Reefer Addict

lol.As you can tell, I have gone to leading my life through other reefers until I get my new sump..:D

EtOH_is_good

fwi, leave room for getting to the sqwd. mine is prone to getting stuck in one position and blowing through only one side. pita.

winniebagel

Thanks for bring that up, EtOH. I hadn't really thought about behind-tank maneuverability issues if I had to swap out the SCWD. Going to leave a lot more room behind the tank so I can have easy access to all the plumbing.

winniebagel

Nope, I haven't even gotten my plumbing done yet. The Iwaki will be hooked up once the plumbing's completed.

Archived