inTank Media Baskets

--> winniebagel's 30G long upgrade <--

winniebagel

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
winniebagel

speakerguy - Apparently, I guess my bf hooked it up this morning. I didn't even know he had bought a three pronged plug from Home Depot last time we were in there. Thanks for the offer though.

• 2 weeks later...

you hung that light very cleanly! great job winnieB! i cant wait to see everything when it's all put together.

• 2 weeks later...
winniebagel

Sometimes I even surprise myself... I've managed to scrounge up some free time tonight to work on the tank's piping. ALMOST finished...

Piping01.jpg

winniebagel

Even though the Seaclear tank isn't finished yet, I couldn't help myself from buying a Ricordea when I went to the LFS for some RO water yesterday. It's in the holding tank currently.

Ricordea.jpg

It's starting to gain an orange hue near the middle, from what I could see. Purddy... :blush:

yeah! working on pvc during the early AM. that's how it should be done.

I'm working w/ pvc now as well. just taking a lil break. ;)

you even went all out and bought the union ball valves. nice.

did u already pvc cement the plumbing parts shown in the pic or are they dry fitted only?

man..i need to learn how to plumb! any chance you do could do my plumbing in austin? lol. too bad i can't upgrade anytime soon.

everything's looking good! keep us posted1

winniebagel

Dennis: I had to call it quits around 3am because the pvc glue fumes gave me a major headache. Other than the pipe connected to the SCWD, everything is dry fitted for now. As for the single union ball valve, I had to search all around town for the 3/4" ones but I finally found a wholesale place that was kind enough to sell me a couple. I should be completed with everything tonight. Woohoo!

Babycakes: lol - man, it's going to take a lot to make me plumb again... hahah ;) But for serious, the plumbing isn't so hard once you know where everything will be placed and you find the right pvc components. I unfortunately was pretty clueless when I started and it took me about 15 trips to Home Depot/Lowes before I got all the plumbing parts. D'oh. X)

winniebagel

Tank progress has been postponed until I can get a new, replacement tank...

Murphy's Law struck when I was trying to clean a piece of pvc attachment that had to be attached to the tank. Lo and behold, I ended up accidently spilling a bunch of pvc cleaner solution all over the surface I was working on and some of it seeped onto and under the acrylic tank. :rant:

I tried to clean up the tank as fast as I could, but some of the crap already started eating away at the acrylic and caused a bunch of hairline cracks along the bottom seam holding together the back to the bottom panel. :*(

Just my luck too... when I was so close to completion. Maybe I just wasn't meant to have a bigger tank. X)

oh god, how horrible! i'd be close to tears but i'm sure you're holding up. at least you got your plumbing figured out...you should really go and cheer yourself and watch the new Batman Begins movie! so great!..well it is.

yeah sorry about the tank. how long till you get a new one?

winniebagel

lol BC... I was essentially cussing like a sailor for the first 15 minutes after the incident. But I just ordered another aquarium from Petco.com and it should be here within 1-2 weeks, depending on how fast they process orders. I guess I now have a 30G quarantine tank, if I plug up the drilled holes...

I hear that the Batman movie is a great redemption for the past two Batman movies. I might see it tomorrow, for shizzle.

glad to hear the tank is coming in and now you got a possible 30g quarantine tank :P at least you have this break to think about coral placements and maybe if you plug the holes in the old 30g then you can start cycling your LR :flower:

it was an awesome movie! better than the first 2 movies even! the gadgets were more realistic..and christian bale is by far the sexiest batman

Reefer Addict
Originally posted by winniebagel

Tank progress has been postponed until I can get a new, replacement tank...  

Murphy's Law struck when I was trying to clean a piece of pvc attachment that had to be attached to the tank. Lo and behold, I ended up accidently spilling a bunch of pvc cleaner solution all over the surface I was working on and some of it seeped onto and under the acrylic tank. :rant:  

I tried to clean up the tank as fast as I could, but some of the crap already started eating away at the acrylic and caused a bunch of hairline cracks along the bottom seam holding together the back to the bottom panel. :*(  

Just my luck too... when I was so close to completion. Maybe I just wasn't meant to have a bigger tank. X)

Just read this. OMG! You seem to be handling this well. I think I would have lost it!!!!!

winnie,

where'd you get your hanging wall brackets for you lights? and did you have to order the ball valves or where they at home depot? :P

winniebagel

The brackets were from Home Depot (around the nails, nuts & bolts section). As for the ball valves, there are two types on my tank. The regular white ball valves were from Home Depot, while the grey single union ball valves were from Grainger. I can't believe you're going for an upgrade already! lol.

yeah an upgrade! all this pvc plumbing stuff is driving me crazy. i'm just getting a 16x16x8 prop tank from glasscages.com but i figured why not plumb the 2 tanks together to a sump/fuge...and then that's when it started getting complicated, overflow gph, return gph, and i was like wtheck?

and then my jebo isn't drilled..so that makes it even more complicated. i COULD just get rid of the prop tank idea and just make another tank next to the jebo and make the jebo a zoo tank..but...ugh. it's so complicated. soooooooo complicated.

okie i'm gonna head out to aquatek for more saltwater and homedepot. it's great to have a local on these forums :flower:

oh! you gotta tell me how you pvc cement things:blush: that seems like a b*tch to do :P

winniebagel

Holy cow, that's quite an elaborate plan for what you have in mind. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. 8)

Actually, for a lot of stuff you were wondering about, I found that the calculators at RC were really helpful. Here's one to find overflow size and another to calculate head loss through pipes.

It's quite awesome to find other locals around here. Maybe we could do coral trades once most of the corals in your Jebo grows out! :D

victoly: Heck yeah! Austin's where it's at!

winniebagel

Oops, I forgot to answer the pvc gluing question... heh.

I learned the gist of pvc solventing through Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue site (http://www.tchristy.com/install.asp). Although, if you can't find any of the Christy's (which is like an all-in-one cleaner/primer/glue) around town, you'd have to buy pvc primer and glue seperately. And remember to work in a properly ventalated area - I got huge headaches from getting wiffs of those fumes. :x

winniebagel

Thanks for the well wishing Travis. :)

The new tank is almost ready to go, just have to silicone between the threaded bulkheads with the threaded pvc connectors because of some water leakage. Should be ready for LR by next Friday.

BTW: I love your new avitar of your new black clowns. They're awesome.

Archived