ReefCleaners.org

--> winniebagel's 30G long upgrade <--

winniebagel

winniebagel

Sounds awesome, BC. Which corals were you thinking of selling away? Your tank must be busting full of new corals and whatnot. :)

Haven't seen March of the Penguins yet, but I hear it's a cute movie. Might have to watch it sometime next week.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great winnie! Thanks for the pic! Is that some kind of cover you fabricated, or is it an optical illusion? Looks like an extra sheet of acrylic.

Rob

Reefer Addict

Congratz. Looking good!!! I especially like the two island rockwork. You rarely see it in the nano world...

winniebagel

Thanks guys :)

Rob: you aren't imagining it! The acrylic is acting as a 'heat sink' so the tank's top/top brace wouldn't warp and stay nice & cool when the MHs are on. I'm glad I put that sheet of acrylic because it's already starting to slightly warp from catching so much heat.

RA: I'm probably going to pack it with so much corals it'll probably start to look like 1 island instead. LOL B)

shao-lin nano

That would be a ton of corals to make it look like one island. LOL.

Wow, this thread started on 5/9 so many ups and downs the last 3 months...

Congrats on getting this project up and running.

It's funny winnie, when talking to Steve about my tank, I asked for something very similar. Not for a heat sink, but because this will be my first open-top tank, and I have carpet surfing concerns. Maybe it will do double duty!?

Rob

winniebagel

Shao: There were many times when I just wanted to give up on this project but I'm glad I stuck with it. The rewards of coming home from a workday and relaxing in front of the fish tank are well worth it!

Rob: the piece of acrylic is doubling as a heat sink and also something to keep the fish in, if they decide to jump. I guess I forgot to mention that in my previous post. Oops. ;) I have the acrylic sheet on legs too so that the tank gets some air circulation as well.

Reefer Addict

I'm getting a little bit burnt out concerning my "Ganja" tank. :unsure: The latest hold up (doser and regulator/solenoid) has about driven me over the edge.... So, it looks as if you have beaten me concerning who would get their newest tank up and running first!!!:D

winniebagel
Originally posted by Reefer Addict

I'm getting a little bit burnt out concerning my "Ganja" tank. :unsure: The latest hold up (doser and regulator/solenoid) has about driven me over the edge....  So, it looks as if you have beaten me concerning who would get their newest tank up and running first!!!:D

But once you get your doser and regulator set up, your tank will be on auto pilot. No more topping off by hand, or dosing additives, or anything... All that work will pay off for you in the future, big time!

It seems as though everything I do with this project, it runs into a snag... :*(

Display tank & fuge are now hooked together and found that the SCWD wasn't switching the currents. Most of the water would flow out into the display from the right side locline. I might have to squeeze myself behind to tank to unhook the SCWD tonight to take a look at it/clean it out. I'm thinking there was some sorta debris caught in the switching mech... or maybe I just got a shoddy scwd.

Don't let it get you down winnie! Are you going to be able to reach it? Should you maybe pick another one up so you have it while you're behind the tank?

Rob

I ended up taking scwd offline and flushing it with a lot of water. Still no luck... I think I ended up with a funky arse one. Might have to stop off and buy another one this weekend. :(

Reefer Addict

winnie-what do you think? you work on finishing my tank and i'll work on finishing yours. maybe the change of scenery will do us both good?:P

hahha, RA - maybe next time ;)

I guess both of our tank plans has had their fair share of snags. I'm about to toss my tank out the window from frustration. lol

shao-lin nano

Let me know exactly when you're going to toss it and I'll be waiting outside and try to catch it in one peice without killing myself and go home with an amazingly tank that's almost done!

Looks like its going to be a very cool set up...make that it is a very cool set up.

Do you mind posting some pictures of the top of the tank and maybe a wide shot that has the whole tank in it. I am thinking about getting a the 40g seaclear and can't find any good pictures of it. I may try adding some type of overflow inside the tank if it can be done.

winnebagel you are my muse. LOL

remember how I asked for that list of pvc parts. IM STARTING my tank. finally. Being a student and a reefer is a really difficult task. But you know whats good bout this hobby, we can all be marine biologists.

Yea. I ordered all the parts and I'm ready to start on my 29g tank

Yikes. first challenge drilling overflows and closed loop system.

I bought 2 quietones 4000. thats like a thousand gph. ones for the sump return and another is for your style closed loop.

I'll start my own thread soon. Right now im watchign my protein skimmer pull out nasty garbage from the 10 gal sump where the LR was curing. yuckyuck ycuk

Sinistard: Thanks man! Now here's those pictures you requested. Hope it helps you out in your decision of whether or not you want to obtain a Seaclear. They're really awesome tanks, btw. Pardon the ghettorific fans next to the tank in the last pic. It'll be gone once the icecap fans show up :)

Top of tank

TopofTank.jpg

Wide shot

2005.08.13_Tank.jpg

Oops, corrected some spelling.

haha, thanks Carpus. I'm glad that the list of pvc parts was of some help to you in getting started. Hopefully, the tank doesn't start cutting into your study/school time. :happy:

Yikes. first challenge drilling overflows and closed loop system.

Drilling's the easy part - it's hooking up all the pvc parts that's a big pain in the booty!

I'll be looking out for your thread when you do post one up. Happy reefing dude!

Thank you for the shots of the tank. Very nice aquascaping.

How do you like not being able to fill the tank to the top? I am trying to decide if I would go with drain pipes or if I would want to try to build an internal overflow.

Also have you had any problems with the size of the openings on the top?

Thanks again.

I actually don't mind not being able to fill the tank to the top. It leaves some leeway in case my fuge pump pumps too fast, let me stick in my hands to do tank maintanence, ect.

I had originally decided on using an internal overflow but once I saw how much real estate the overflow box was going to take and the risks of having a siphon tube, I decided on drain pipes. The look is much cleaner too.

The only problems I've run into with the openings on top is that it is a PITA to get larger sized LR in/out. But it's nothing that a hammer/chisel couldn't handle. And also that you can only fit an internal overflow from that long rectangular hole. Otherwise, I've had no other gripes about this tank.

Hey winnie, how did you make out with your SCWD? I'm still on the fence about getting one or not. I'm leaning towards not using one.

Rob

I've come to the conclusion that all SCWDs hate me. I've completely given up on getting the SCWD to work... definitely decided to get a two outlet OM Squirt for the tank now.

Reefer Addict
Originally posted by winniebagel

I've come to the conclusion that all SCWDs hate me. I've completely given up on getting the SCWD to work... definitely decided to get a two outlet OM Squirt for the tank now.

:( If it makes you feel better, I am still waiting for my doser and regulator/solenoid....:|

Archived