Pod Your Reef

--> winniebagel's 30G long upgrade <--

winniebagel

Originally posted by Reefer Addict

:( If it makes you feel better, I am still waiting for my doser and regulator/solenoid....:|

Wow, still?! It must've been like a month now... when is the estimated time it'll arrive?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the OM website is, ummm, shall we say....a bit lacking. But I did see the options. Definitely something to think about. Sorry about your SCWD troubles winnie.

Rob

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

Well, the OM website is, ummm, shall we say....a bit lacking. But I did see the options. Definitely something to think about. Sorry about your SCWD troubles winnie.

Rob

I'm actually glad that the SCWD pooped out - now I have an excuse to buy an OM Squirt. :)

Reefer Addict

I was told 4-6 weeks when I originally ordered them..... At least my sources where honest in the lead time. I would have been ####ed if they lied and said something like one week.

Managed to pick up two 2" frags of what I assume to be a green slimer(?). Either way, it's some type of Acropora... :P

The polyps on the new sticks have already opened, so I'll take that as a good sign.

2005.08.19_GreenSlimer.jpg

Cool looking SPS, I can't wait until I get my MH up and running over my new tank so I can get some SPS.

One question do you like the rounded front corners on your tank? With the custom I am ordering they come with bent corners standard. I'm not sure If I want this of more of the look tigahboys tank.

Thanks

I like the rounded corners on the tank - it makes cleaning with a magnet cleaner much more easier! The only beef I have with rounded corners is that you can't take good 45° angle shots of the tank due to distortions where the front meets the sides.

This project has been put on hold yet again until I can find another tank. Issues with hairline cracking along the seams where the front & back panels meet the top. Kinda like what was described in Izzue's tank.

I'll most likely order from SoCal Creations to get a custom tank made that'll make use of thicker acrylic and have better craftsmanship. :)

great rockwork :D glad you got some stuff in there! :) yeah, i was gonna see if i could frag some of my zoos for ya but my tank just crashed, the jebo one with all my zoos! i'm pretty sure it crashed, i'm at houston and my friend sheena is taking care of my shallow display and she came to my place yesterday and said that 1/4 of the tank water was gone and my auto top off was broken! scary sh!t! i'm in houston and i wasn't going to return till saturday cuz my bf was driving me.

i was planning on getting some sps frags from someone too, boo. hey girl, if you go to RC there's a guy named saltyseaman that sells great easy sps frags for a good price. you should check it out :D

Hey winnie, sorry to hear this news. Definitely order from SoCal Creations. For a tank around the same size as yours, Steve would use 3/8" cast acrylic. That SeaClear is probably 1/4". Not good enough! Let me know if you have any questions about SoCal. Steve has been nothing but a pleasure to work with on mine!

Rob

wow, I can't believe your tank started showing pressure cracks so quickly. It seems Izzue's and your problems originate around the bracing on top. This must have to do with inadequate thickness of the acrylic.

The acrylic bond doesn't give much flex so, combined with the weight of the water it must be pulling outwards creating the stress fractures on the seal around the bracing. Heat can also be an influence on these cracks as well, but I don't think so in your cases. I have 150w over 6" above my Sea Clear, and have no pressure crack...but my tank is also braceless, sans the center brace.

I still think its quick to have these types of cracks occur. I would contact Sea Clear and tell them what the problem is, they may set it straight.

All true H2O! I don't think center braces and halides mix very well, and I agree that in winnies case that heat is probably not the issue. I know she took precautions to avoid that. Acrylic too thin?!

Rob

Wow that sucks to hear. Will they honor the warranty with the mods you did?

Like Rob said Socalcreations is great to deal with, I decided to get my tank from them and have it shipped. I have been talking to Randy who is more their wood guy but he has been very helpfull in me making my mind up on my tank, and it has changed many times B)

Good Luck

Originally posted by Babycakes

great rockwork :D glad you got some stuff in there! :) yeah, i was gonna see if i could frag some of my zoos for ya but my tank just crashed, the jebo one with all my zoos! i'm pretty sure it crashed, i'm at houston and my friend sheena is taking care of my shallow display and she came to my place yesterday and said that 1/4 of the tank water was gone and my auto top off was broken! scary sh!t! i'm in houston and i wasn't going to return till saturday cuz my bf was driving me.  

i was planning on getting some sps frags from someone too, boo. hey girl, if you go to RC there's a guy named saltyseaman that sells great easy sps frags for a good price. you should check it out :D

Hey lady, sorry to hear of your tank. That royaly sucks since you put so much time searching for all those rare and colorful zoos. :*( At least the *more* expensive stuff was in the shallow display and you were spared from losing them!

Is this guy on RC local by chance?

I remember they had this 90 day warranty card that came with the tank, but it said they'll only be willing to replace the tank if nothing had been modified since purchase. Otherwise, the warranty is void. I'll try calling up SeaClear and see if they'll be willing to replace the tank... maybe there is a tiny chance they'll be nice enough to replace.

The acrylic on the tank is actually 1/4" thick. I did run the lights for the first few days after the cycle without that acrylic heatsink I fabricated and that actually warped the center brace a tiny bit... (actually, that was what prompted me to make that heatsink) that might've been the start of this. And as BH2O said, the weight of the water pushing upon it probably didn't help out the situation.

Just sent off my paypal payment to SoCal Creations! They said that their lead time right now is about a month. Hopefully, the Seaclear will survive till then. I think I might have to start a non-Seaclear thread after new tank is done :)

yeah. life in the "largish" end of nano-reef scene aint all that it's cracked up to be. I might need to downgrade (and rip out the OM Super Squirt from the back of my 67g).

• 2 weeks later...

I never got around to posting this, but here's the BFF (Best Fish Friends)/odd couple that wander my tank as of now. There's no way I can split these two... lol

Fishes.jpg

Originally posted by Tigahboy

yeah.  life in the "largish" end of nano-reef scene aint all that it's cracked up to be.  I might need to downgrade (and rip out the OM Super Squirt from the back of my 67g).

PS: Tigs, downgrade!! :

2005.09.14_Tank.jpg

Here's that FTS Janie. Pardon that ugly hair & bubble algae... and the sparseness of the tank...

Brownie points on whoever can spot my newest fish I just picked up today. :)

Archived