inTank Media Baskets

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

Looks like some brightly colored coralline...might be some early hair algae...hard to tell. Keep up withi water changes and keep an eye on it. As for the temps, I think fluctuations are worse than having temps in the low 80's. You might want to reduce the swing....maybe adjust the heater. SH

JVPredds8:

Great start, beautiful tank & rock. You are in for so much fun watching things emerge.

Quick fix for tank back: cut a piece of black posterboard to size and slip it between your tank back wall & the equipment. Tape to the tank rims if necessary. Or use anything similar--you can try different colors (tho most prefer black) and textures (matte, etc.)--see what you like. Won't survive many water spills but is quick and easy to replace, and can be done neatly so it looks presentable...

--Diane

Edited by c'est ma

Thanks for the advice guys, I appriciate it. I was wonder what you meant by reducing the swing SH? And thats sounds like a good simple idea Diane, I was looking at some of the forum members aquariums and saw some of them doing that also and I liked how it came out with the black also. Ill keep you guys up to date when new stuff happens so you guys can help me out if Im doing anything wrong, if thats ok with you. I was also wondering if you had any updated pics of your aquarium SH?

Meaning...dropping from 80 to 77 is a 3 degree temp swing.....I'd try and reduce to a degree or so. You can't be perfect, but my tank is steady...never swings more than 3/4 to 1 degree. Some claim that temp swings cause stress over time. I think I updated pix but I'll repost here:

nano142.jpg

nano143.jpg

SH - I am not sure what more can be said about your informative thread that hasn't already been said, but thanks. I have combed through it over the last few days and just wish i had a couple weeks ago.

I have a 24G DX with stock lighting. The only modification I have done thus far is to add a Fission Nano Skimmer in the second chamber on the reccomendation of my lfs. I still have the bio-balls and charcoal as well.

After reading this thread I will be removing the skimmer and making the mods reccomended here. Why mess with success?

I added 28 lbs of a mix of live rock I purchased from my lfs. It had been in a curing tank for 10 days.

I checked the water today with the following readings: (I use Mardel test strips also reccomended by my lfs which can be a bit difficult to read)

Ammonia 0

PH 8.4

Alkalinity 300+

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

SG 1.022

Temp 77.9

Not knowing any better I have had the lights on a 12hr timer cycle since the rock was introduced. I am now reading this maynot be ideal and I think I am seeing the il-effects. Pretty much everything in the tank is brown, which from what i have learned here, I would surmize is diatom?

I guess its a no brainer that I need a cleanup crew and will go put one together from the lfs store tomorrow. I guess i have a hard time believing they will be able to get it all but, I guess we will see.

Really, I am just looking for a sanity check here as I now am not sure to trust the lfs. Once I clear up the diatom? am i ready to intoduce coral?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached some pics but not sure the full brown cover is represented well.

Thank you in advance.

- Hotair

post-18118-1137028955_thumb.jpg

I hear ya.....sometimes you just need a pat on the back. Here ya go...some thoughts:

1) sounds like normal diatoms and you are ready for a cleanup crew but....

2) get the nitrates down. If you haven't already done so, do your first 25% water change and then you can do 10% water changes until you get the nitrates down to at least 10 or less. Then it's safe to add your crew.

3) I'd ditch the Mardel strips and get an Aquarium Pharm (API) SW test kit, unless you have $200 plus dollars to toss out on a complete Salifert kit

4) I like a warmer temp tank. Mine runs 80.5-81.7. Depending on what you plan to keep in the tank, I think 77 is kinda cool.

5) 1.022 is, eh, OK. If you are planning on a reef, I'd raise it to 1.025. IMO, at least 1.023-1.024.

6) At this point, I'd just keep the lights on the 12 hour timer

7) now, the hardest part. Resist the urge to add corals. I'd get your cleanup crew in and start to get the hang of measuring s.g., sw changes, etc. Why add corals and get hair and/or cyano in a week or two? Wait it out....then...if you MUST add something, stay with durable corals like ricordea, mushrooms or softies/leathers. I didn't add my first coral for over 1- 1 1/2 months after setup..and maybe even THAT was too early.

Welcome aboard. SH

Thanks for the reassurance and advice. I will work on the filter mods and getting the nitrate down for now.

I wish i hadn't spent the $30 on the skimmer but maybe it will come in handy some day.

Thanks again.

Hotair.

Steelhealr:

Thanks for everything. I'm a newbie to any sort of aquarium and your experience has been invaluable. I've just started my own tank thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...0&gopid=693225&

Count me as one who is following your progress with great interest. And forgive any similarities that my tank may have to yours eventually. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

--Bill

Edited by Murph

No problem Bill...welcome aboard. Will surf in and check it out. For all those who think that having this thread means it was easy and my tank is perfect..unh unh.

-haven't seen my skunk cleaner ...was an original tank inhabitant, hardy and fed out of my hand. It's stupid how you can get attached to a F#$$^%'in shrimp. What was worse, when I mumbled my observation, my son was there and started to cry (he's 5 1/2). This may have to be a loss. They only live to be 2 years old and the tank is approaching 1, so, it may not have been 'foul play'.

- my pipe organ has closed for 2 days now (my Fiji leather, the most sensitive to water conditions, is open tho')

Massive water changes are in progress. Not easy maintaining a nano. SH

My Angler ate my Goby!!!!!! Lol I was kind of getting attached to my little guy but I had to keep telling myself that he was only my guinee pig fish and that he was probably gonna get eaten. Still though I was blown away by the whole thing. I called my roomate over when I saw the Goby leave its cave and wander over by the Angler fish. It started backing up a little then WAM!!! the Angler just swollowed up whole squishing him in half like a sandwich in its stomach. The Goby kept wiggiling around the the Angler's stomach...it was the craziest thing I have ever seen being a newbee to all of this stuff!

Here are some updated pics of the tank and the Angler a few minutes after swollowing my Goby.

post-17842-1137295560_thumb.jpg

post-17842-1137295589_thumb.jpg

post-17842-1137295736_thumb.jpg

post-17842-1137295769_thumb.jpg

post-17842-1137295813_thumb.jpg

I am in a little of aa delema now though. I knew before buying this Angler fish that it would eat fish aaround its size and thought that my Goby was proabably a gonner, but after watching him eat the Goby, I am a little worried about puting the Fu Man Chu Lion Fish mI ordered in the tank with him now. I figured that the Lion Fish I ordered is going to be a little bigger than the Angler and is poisonous. Do Anglers know that??? Or do you think he will eat the Lion Fish and then get killed from its spines??? It seemed like the Lion Fish would be the ideal tank mate to have with an Angler. One preditor that lies and waits for its prey and one that swims around, but now after seeing what I saw I am having second guesses. Any words of advice?

Last pic tonight, I promise, lol

post-17842-1137297059_thumb.jpg

I think anglers are too large for a nano tank. Both in the tank are compatible according to charts but...why would you put those two in this size tank? Anglers can grow over 10" and dwarf lions can grow to over 7"....way too much for a nano tank. SH

I did extensive research of my own SH, and found that they both only grow up to 5 inches in aquariums, and both the LFS's said they were ok for my tank. They might get larger in the wild. I am moving in about 4 and a half months and will be selling them to the LFS when I move or if they get to big for the tank too quick. I hope I didnt make that big of a mistake!

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/colored-ang...h--anglers.html

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=265

http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/atlas.cgi...f=Antennariidae

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/angleridfaqs.htm

A few pages out of the many I read before purchasing the fish. The first site is where I purchased him from. Most seem to say that they get to be about 5 to 6 inches tops. Mine now is about 3 inches so I think I'm safe in the size department. I'm not saying, believe everything you hear on the internet is true, I just figured between these and various other sites and my LFSs all telling me similar things that I would be safe. And to answer your question why I would want to do this....I'm not like most of the Nano tank owners out there who like just passive fish in their tank were everyone just swims around in joyful bliss. I want the discovery channel in my living room. Now Im not just trying to drop random fish in the tank and see what happens. I simply would like 1 or 2 main preditors and take up my whole tank so every now and then I could see hunting habbits. I also think that my tank is a little more realilistic than having some passive fish live in peace and harmony their entire lives, which pretty much never happens in the wild. And please dont take this as me trying to come off all mean and arguementative SH, I just want to you see where see where I'm comming from...and thanks for the advice again

Edited by JVPredds8
CarolinaReefer

SH -

Wow - I have been reading for several hours now - you should write a book (I guess you already have!!!). Amazing - great "how to" - and your results - I would say, in my humble opinion, one of the nicest looking tanks on the site!!!

I do have a question for you and your faithful followers - actually, two questions...

First, does anyone know of any vendors who will make custom acrylic pieces (like to go in the back of a 30g cube) to essentially create a Nanocube???

Second, can you list some of the choices for a 30g cube in the way of lighting - I was looking at T5's, but I think those are almost exclusively 24" and larger - I have also considered the Sunpod MH 20" - are there other 20" fixtures out there (MH, T5, or combos)???

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!!!

CR B)

Carolina....great...good thoughts. That mod you are describing is one I would love to try if I get an Oceanic. Someone here did that mod and there is a link to it somewhere. If you find it, I might put it on my DIY thread. There is nothing more to do than find black acrylic...I think you can buy it at Home Depot, cut it to size and then use silicone to seal it in place. Before doing that, you can drill out all the holes for outflows, an intake grate, surface skimmer, etc. Hides all your equipment.

As for the lights, I'm a little less familiar with that...I believe there is a Coralife that just fits an Oceanic. HOWEVER, wouldn't it be cool to just hang a MH Pendant over it?

To JVPredd...none taken. I just think that it's still too much fish in there. Have no problems with predator tanks....I just think that if both fish reach their limit size, it's a lot of bioload for a nano system. SH

Always said I would post my problems. Here is my tubipora musica today:

nano147.jpg

It's been closed for 2-3 days. Now you can see why they call it pipe organ or organ pipe. I hope it survives. Here is the before shot:

nano81.jpg

SH

SH, I guess your tank never developed any leaks since its statis is still "cracking". Hopefully it was never anything serious.

Plus, for the newcomers here you should have a CliffNotes edtion of this thread, its gotten quite loooong! Just glad that I've been along for the ride since day one. We're closing in on our second year and should be able to shed the Newbie designation.... I hope.

Oh, just looked at your revised avatar heading, so I've included a pic of my 20L pod/science experiment tank for your enjoyment. Too bad I don't have a school of Tangs for "THEM" to comment on.

.post-14052-1137338008_thumb.jpg

JK...I think you're the only member to ever comment on the Mag-Floats in pics

Edited by trumph

hi, I just started a nano 12 gallon and i have been reading this forum. it really helped me get my aquarium started. It has been running for about 2 and a half weeks and i'm thinking about adding my first fish! I want my first fish to be a regal tang. I understand that the majority of what he eats are plants and i also heard that if you buy them small and put them in an aquarium that meets their size( as small fish) then they remain that size. My brother-in-law has this fish in is 24 gal for about a year and it is only about 2 inches long. what do think about this?

oh yeah and all my nitrites and ammonia have been at 0 for 5 days straight. the nitrates are about 3.

let yor cycle finish (your tank should be about a month old).. the tang will outgrow your tank.. i dont have a problem with people putting Tang's in Nanos infact i plan to.....but read a little more......it WILL outgrow your tank.. it wont "dwarf" b.c. you put it into a small tank

I wouldn't do it. I think it comes down to whether or not you are going to take the 'conscientious marine aquarist' pathway. My first newbie mistake I made when I set up my 46G FW tank was to add two of those iridescent sharks (pangasius cats). Bought them at 2 inches or less. They are now about 6 inches and actually LOOK like sharks. I'm sorry I bought them....I'll have to bring them back to the lfs at some point.

Tanks don't stunt fish. Fish grow with good care. The only problem is that you're not dealing with a FW tank. Your dealing with a MARINE NANO tank. They don't take insults like your a FW will. Larger fish put out larger wastes. It's your tank, but, I wouldn't put a regal tang in mine or any tang for that matter. It's your choice as to what type of aquarist you want to be.

SH

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic