inTank Media Baskets

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

SH by now i'm sure you know the amount of hi jacking going on in your thread. people need to start there own threads instead of posting on this one just because people look at everyday.

I think most of these highjackers you speek of are people that used this forum as a study guide like me who just wanted to show SH what he helped me do. I could not find a better site to help a complete newbee like me get in on everything you need to know to set up a Nano cube the right way to insure I get it right the first time around. I dont know, if I made a site like this I would love people to show me what I helped them create. That is why I didnt post my cube in the members aquarium section because I'm not out there to show of my cube, just kind of like a thanks for the help and here is what I have created after following your guidlines and suggestions, and yeah maybe a few fun pics here and there, but I wouldn't think its really that big a deal, ya know.

As for me and needing to post anymore pics for help or suggestions, I think its safe to say I have graduated from this post and will just be comin back every now and then to see updated pics and stuff, for my cube seems to be stable and running well. Thanks again SH for all your help this post has helped me tremendously.

Edited by JVPredds8

No problem. I got a lot of PM's too, but, I enjoy it.....I was there myself a few months ago. As for hijacking, again, I personally don't mind if it is pertinent. I'll tell you what I personally try and avoid on other people's threads:

-posting UNREQUESTED pix of my tank on others threads....I have no problem with people doing it here who have success directly related to this post. If I think it will help the thread, I'll post a link to it so that people don't have to wait for a download...they can elect to click or scroll by

-spinoff questions,eg, someone posts about questions on sandbeds, someone comments they like sand because it looks like when one is diving, and then the comments go to scuba

I haven't felt hijacked yet. :-)

SH

SH - As other have stated, this thread is simply incredible!! I've learned a ton, and I'm getting ready to make a dive into the nano world, in part thanks to what I've learned from reading your adventures.

As I plan out my setup (with JBJ 24g DX), I was wondering if you had any thoughts on stock lighting. I know that you have added the fug light mod, but other than that, do you regret sticking with the other stock lights in the hood? Would you upgrade/mod if you had to do it over again? Or do you find your coral limited in any way?

Thanks again for the help. I look forward to becoming an active member of this great site!

Shawn

Welcome aboard Shawn. I have no regrets about staying 'stock'. It's a challenge to 'take on' the clam and SPS crew, but, they have their own difficulties as well. You can do up a really great tank under the stock lighting without chillers, halides, dripping Kalk, etc...all a ton of work. In fact, I sometimes giggle to think that the stock lighting supports so much and everybody else is drilling, dremelling, chilling, plumbing, etc. Trust me, you'll have your hands full with softies, zoos and LPS.

I think, and this is just my take on it, SPS and clams are another area of nano reefing in that, well, you really require excellent lighting and more importantly EXCELLENT water conditions. For some, that might restrict you, to a degree, on adding fish and/or livestock. NOT that keeping a regular stock lighting tank is easy either.

There are so many corals that I would still like to add to my tank, so, no way do I feel limited in that sense. The REAL limiting factor is, by choosing to go nano, the volume limiits you. Putting the wrong corals next to each other can cost you in the pocket or even crash a tank. Also, cost and availability are limiting factors. You can find ANY color coral that you want, that will survive under stock lighting. that one might find in a higher lighted tank. Take mine eg:

1) green: mushrooms, hammer and open brain, zoos

2) orange: plate coral and tubastrea, ricordea

3) yellow: yellow Fiji leather

4) blue: mushrooms, ricordea

5) purple: purple ribbon gorgonian (well..recently deceased)

6) red: mushrooms

In addition, I have several corals that I wouldn't trade for SPS. Look at my favorite ones (no colors touched up with software):

nano127.jpg

nano130.jpg

nano107.jpg

So..it's just a matter of knowing what type of aquarist you want to be...at least for now. I WOULD like to do SPS and clams someday, but, with a much larger tank.

I'm fine with what I have right now. SH

Amazing post SH, I am so glad this is here because it has been so much help. Everyone else input has been very beneficial as well. Thank you all!

I am thinking about stocking possibilities and I just have a few questions. I currently have a 24G Nano-Cube with everything stock. I have about 25 pounds of LR and a pretty good base of about 2 inches of LS. This is my first tank. I guess I am asking if there would be any conflicts with the inhabitants and also if you think there would be enough room. Please forgive me if I butcher any of the names.

Current Inhabitants:

Inverts:

7- Astrea Snails

3- Margarita

2- Snails with and Orange foot (LFS said they were safe...don't know what they are tho)

4- Scarlet Hermits

3-Blue Hermits

1- Electric Blue Hermit (blue Knuckle I think they are also called)

1-Blood Shrimp

1-Emerald Crab

Fish:

1- Saragassum Goby

Here is what I want to add:

Inverts:

1- Emerald Crab (I would like one more to help with the cleanup, are there any other crabs that are comparable to the emerald?)

1- Cleaner Shrimp

1- Pistol shrimp (to go with the goby)

Future Fish:

2- Clowns

1-Watchman Goby (or any others that will have a good relationship with the pistol shrimp?)

Future Corals:

Ricordea Florida

Euphyllia Ancora

Zoanthids ( I really like these)

(these are just the ones I know I can't live without)

Thanks Everybody

GM

Everything looks cool. Some thoughts:

-2 emeralds, if they reach 2 inches, may become opportunistic feeders

-you can purchase paired yashia haze/pistols if you don't mind spending a coupla dollars; the usual types that pair up are Amblyeleotris or Stonogobiops

-I'm not sure what a sargassum goby is

-there shouldn't be any conflicts in having pistol, cleaner and blood shrimp in your tank

SH

Thanks so much. They called it a Sargassum at the LFS. Hey is brown and blends into the live rock. I don't really see him much though and I really don't see the blood shrimp that much. Will they come out eventually once they are more accustomed to the tank?

Hey steel,

I read the first 2 pages of this thread and im sure its going to help me eminsly. Now to the questions i have. I am waiting on my 2nd 12g dx first one came cracked..

The stock pump, I am thinking about putting that one in the back right corner about 2/3rd's the way down for bottom water movement?

The sponge in the first chamber, just wedge it against the walls in the first chamber right below the grate?

Snails Crabs? How many?

1 inch LS base?

12 pounds LR? What have you heard about tampabay for the LR?

What size pump for the upgrade for the return?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for all the info

Hey SH,

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted and things are progressing nicely as I am closing in on the 30 day mark. The Diatoms went away after my first 20% water change which was nice. I had a nice little "bloom" of copepods, then the hair algae hit. It went completely crazy and I dont know where it came from. Last night I removed all the affected LR and scrubbed it in salt water. I also did a 10% water change. Things look much better today.

Uppon reccomendation from my LFS, I also began supplementing the tank with something called "Velvet Green" - Phytoplankton.

I feel pretty good about the water chemistry now:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: 450

PH: 8.1

SG: 1.0235

Temp: 78.5

I went ahead and ordered a cleanup crew from Liveaquaria. I ordered their Algae Attack Pack, for a 30 gallon tank which includes:

5 X Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab

10 X Margarita Snail

20 X Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab

I realize this is overkill, at least from a crab perspective but I figured I would get a hold of the hair Algae and I can give some of the crew to a friend with a big tank. What are your thoughts here?

I have started putting together the filtration and refugium mods you have reccomended. While I feel a little like a sheep, I look at pics of your tank, re-read the experiences you have had and I again figure why mess with success. I have ordered all the items you have in the 1st chamber and now I am looking at building the refugium. I will get LR frags at the LFS.

A few questions for you on the refugium:

1) Where does one get Chaetomorpha and how much should I get. (Could not find it on LiveAquaria)

2) I am interested in the Refugium modification I saw referenced here where someone cut the backing from Chamber 2 for the light however, I could not find the thread when looking back or searching. Can you help a lost reefer out? Do you like this mod?

Other than that, i plan to let the cleanup crew get settled, continue to monitor water chemistry and do water changes. Hopefully within the next month I will add a fish or two. I am especially anxious to get some coral going but am holding out a while on your advice.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and the continued mentoring. It is a fun hobby and a great exercise in patience and attention to detail.

- hotair

To Hotair: first off, why are you adding phytoplankton? What are you feeding with that, except your hair algae? Is it live or dead phyto? Phyto is for corals and filter feeders and can add phosphates to your system to feed the hair algae.

Way too many crabs. Margarita's are short lived and prefer cooler water I believe, not a well balanced crew. Astreas, ceriths are better IMO.

The fuge mod should be on this thread, no? If not, search easy refugium and narrow the search to steelhealr...should pop right up.

To fire nano: don't put two pumps in one chamber....I wouldn't put it in the tank..is that what you were implying? I don't have any sponges in my tank. If you are keen are using one, I'd cut it down to near nothing and yes, just wedge it underneath the level of the grate. Make sure you wash it religiously.

1-2 snails per gallon

1 crab per tank

wouldn't do more than 2-3 hermits in there

LS looks good

LR could bump up a few lbs

Heard mixed things about TampaBay. Search it out and see what others think about them. I used premiumaquatics.

If you add a new pump, Maxijet.....? 606? SH

Random acts of photography:

Dividing heads, caulstrea curvata, sweepers visible

nano150.jpg

Favites, brain

nano153.jpg

Mouth area, fungia sp

nano154.jpg

Skunk cleaner

nano152.jpg

Green zoanthid

nano151.jpg

Recovering purple sea whip, gorgonian

nano149.jpg

Recovering tubipora musica, pipe organ

nano148.jpg

SH

Hello everyone, I need a little answer.

I made a search and found someone that asked the same question but did not get a reply so I'm asking in thos thread. I'd relaly like to read the complete 40 pages but I must admit I don't currently have the time (it's midnight and I wake up at 5)

I just bought the nanocube 24G 2006 model that comes with the surface skimmer. with that surface skimmer I can know the water level in the main tank, my question is:

what is the water level in the 2 rear chambers? Especially the one where the pump is...

I can see a little bit on the very first post that it seems around 1" from the top. Is there a target level? at what level should I add fresh water?

Any help appreciated. I can't wait to get that system running (I did not remove / change anything in the filtration system.. yet)

Regards,

Etienne

Hey Steel, love those shots!

May have been covered earlier in the thread, but just out of curiousity what kind of camera are you shooting with?

Mind passing any tips for capturing shots like those?

Thanks!

No problem Gregor...I'm not a photo pro, but, do like to try and get some nice shots. I"ll shock some people. It is a Pentax Optio S. I use one of 2 of the macro settings. When not in a rush, I use a mini tripod....that's the key to a clear shot. You can really get some nice pix and not necessarily have to buy a one thousand dollar camera. SH

steelhealr,

I just wanted to express my gratitude for your taking the time out to make this thread. I just finished reading all 40 pages, *phew* :lol: It took me a few days but it was well worth it. I have been considering starting a saltwater tank for several months now, but I was intimidated by the idea. I read threads on ReefCentral and other forums but was always overwhelmed by the level there... I never found something like this thread that laid everything out in layman's terms. I bought Kurtz's book just before I found your thread and have begun reading it as well. Your step-by-step posts have helped make reefing and its components digestible for me and within the realm of reality. :D

I have been hunting on ebay for a 46 or 55 gallon tank and found a beautiful 46 gallon bowfront for a mind-boggling price but someone got to it before me. :( I am patient and willing to wait, but am also starting to consider a nano. My trepidation with the smaller volume aquarium is the sensitivity. Do you find that it is too much for a total beginner to handle? I had some goldfish as a child but I don't think that counts for fish experience. :happy:

Another reason I want the bigger tank is because I would like to have a yellow tang, but have also seen some beautiful damsels.

I visited two LFS near me in the past two days to get a feel for the resources I have available to me. The bigger one was very nice, beautiful livestock. The small hole-in-the-wall variety LFS was less than impressive. They had some nice ricordia frags but the fish were just OK. I also found one tank with a dead fish on the bottom.

I would like to start off slow due to my inexperience. Because of this, I was thinking of buying some LS and LR as well as base rock, etc. and letting the LR seed the base rock while I get the hang of testing parameters, making water changes, and working on mods and DIY projects. I would like to save some money if possible because reefing is such an expensive hobby, but I also want to DIY because I want to customize my tank to make it clean looking, without a bunch of units hanging off of my tank. A cleanup crew would be introduced after the tank cycles to manage algae blooms.

I'm sorry for the long post. Maybe my more specific questions would be better for PM, but also maybe people who are reading will also learn from your replies. :)

Thanks again,

Schwe

Schwe...thanks ..great post and I appreciate your comments and compliments. To answer your question, I think it depends on what your goals are. I went nano for several reasons and went straight to it from a 46G FW bowfront. Why?

1) the fish in the marine aisle looked much nicer

2) was blown away by seeing my first nano pix on another forum and then saw one at a chain LFS...had to squint my eyes to see if it was real or fluorescent plastic

3) space and time considerations....a nano would be less space occupying and less work (COUGH)..yeah right

4) loved the lines of the nano cube the first time I saw it

5) wanted the challenge of a nano reef

As beautiful as these tanks are, there is still the wonder of a larger tank....more room for corals, more room for larger and diverse fish, more water volume for dilution. You know, it's not so bad to start with a larger and then branch off after you have experience and do you nano. Depends on your preference. I purchased my NC and it sat in a box on the floor of the living room for weeks before I even opened it up....prep and research is the key. Haste will burn you.

As for that 'other forum', I'll tell ya, despite it's big name, I find it quite inhospitable at times. I can count on one hand how many times I've been able to access the search engine. N-R isn't the easiest to break into, but, there are some spectacular people here that, if you gain their trust, their friendship and support are invaluable. SH

• 2 weeks later...

In case it matters, I have just replaced both lamps on my tank. Recommendations are to change your lights every 8 months or so. Purchased them thru nanotuners.com. SH

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic