ReefCleaners.org

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

Steel,

Why thin sand bed?

I thought live sand good for cycled.

Dee

Thanks....hey, no problem. Just wanted to fill a void that was here when I started.

To Fishy Business...your tank is a mini version of what I have. Somewhere in this thread I listed my corals. You should be able to support zoos, mushrooms, softies and many LPS. SPS and clams are not gonna make it. You may have luck with a photosynthetic gorgonian or a monti cap. Keep a thin sand bed...not more than 2 inches, even less. Go slow and resist the urge to pop corals in there a week after cycling. The nasties may come and it's easier if no corals were there. Patience is the key to success. SH

post-19135-1142519483_thumb.jpg

aznlovaboi3

Hi,

I have a question about the additives and supplements that you add daily or weekly to your tank. I might have missed it during the conversation. My tank is not doing at optimal level and i would like to go by your ways. I might not work for me but I can still have a try at it

Thanks in advance,

Dat Nguyen

Just wanted to drop a note to SH thanking him for the awesome thread. After spending a week (and a ream of paper) reading this thread I was convinced to make a move and attempt a SW reef tank. My first choice was the Nano, but a real good deal came up on a 5 month old 65 gallon with 380w light kit for about the same price as the nano, so I jumped on it. I have been so hesitant to pursue my dream of a SW tank, but after reading your detailed information I decided I had enough information to begin.

I am currently trying to figure out the whole sump and refugium situation, I am putting my tank on a wall in my fuinished basement and the sump and all associated gear will be behind it on the unfinished side. There are so many opinions and ideas that float on these forums it gets a little confusing.

Anyway, I will keep you posted and definitly will have questions, thanks again!

SH,

Curious how your Chamber 1 filter media configuration is working (last I read you had like 4 different media types in there). Have you kept them all or found some that worked better than others?

I've got Chemi-Pure (I think it's the law for a nano right?) and Sea-Gel. I had Purigen inthere but read somewhere that it shouldn't be kept in there long term (not sure if that's true or not).

Thanks as always for the on-going thread. I'm on week 5 and have followed your "slow as it goes" advice and everything is working out so far. Thanks again!! fingerscrossed

To aznlovaboi3 I don't add any additives to my tank. I threw them out. No iodine, no molybdenum, no strontium. Just good ol' fresh SW once a week. Occasionally I'll add some B-Ionic or Kent's 2 part if I need to bump up my calcium, which is usually stable at about 380ppm. Don't add to your tank what you don't test for.

To dbaumga797: My first chamber still consistes of ChemiPure, Purigen, SeaGel and Algone. I change all three every 3 months and Algone every 2 months. Of late I've been treating the Purigen as described to 'recharge' it. I'm not sure what the contraindication to using Purigen is long term. I've been happy with the setup to date. I am trying something new. I am covering the top of chamber 1 with filter fiber and I remove it 1-2X per week. Just my own experiment.

I guess you could say that ChemiPure is 'the law'. Bottom line..it's an art. This works for me so I stay with it. As for taking your time, it is probably one of the most important things you can do for your tank and the least followed here at N-R. IMO, taking your time is more important than any chamber setup, media additives, stocking levels, etc. Everyone want's to bang/slamdunk in their first coral as soon as the ammonia/nitrite hit zero. They forget that when they add fish, they have no experience on balancing nitrate levels in a small marine tank. No feel for nutrient input/export. They also forget that the crystal clean water may soon be swamped with hair algae or cyano. You won't regret biting the bullet on this. In any case, you'll be much better rewarded by researching the corals and their placement. Cheers for the great comments. SH

I am nowhere near your intelligence on aquariums/nano-reefing. However, it is starting to look like you are going to want to upgrade to a larger tank. You have a lot of coral, which by the way looks b-e-a-utiful!

Job well done on writing such an extensive thread, and I commend all of your work. Hope my NC12DX can look as good as your 24 someday.

I just want to offer my two cents on patience. For the last couple months or so I've become a bit relaxed towards dealing with every little outbreak in my tank lately. Every now and again, I have some algae or diatoms or whatever pop up for a few days, but it's amazing how quick it dies down if left alone rather than trying to immediately try to "fix" things. I've really become a believer of just leaving things alone and they will balance themselves out in a properly set up tank. Granted, I have no fish, so I don't have something adding large quantities of ammonia either.

PirateFish52

I am looking to lower my kH and raise my pH and calcium.

kH 16

pH 8.0

Calcium 300

I am almost done cycling and have been adding calcium, but it is not going up. I read that adding seltzer water can lower the kH. Has anyone tried this or can recommend another way to do this? Haven't found any products that specifically lower kH.

Thanks.

I am looking to lower my kH and raise my pH and calcium.

kH 16

pH 8.0

Calcium 300

I am almost done cycling and have been adding calcium, but it is not going up. I read that adding seltzer water can lower the kH. Has anyone tried this or can recommend another way to do this? Haven't found any products that specifically lower kH.

Thanks.

I had a similar question once and someone pointed me to THIS article. Should help clear things up for you.

the BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!! Thanks SH! I joined this forum b/c someone specifically recommended I read up on your thread. Man, it took me some time, but it was well worth it.

PirateFish52
Why? How old is your tank and what is in it? SH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steel,

My tank has cycled after 3 weeks. I am going to change the water tomorrow night, as I am going to prepare my water tonight.

I had to do a topoff and the kH is at 13 now and the Calcium went up to 320.

I have a yellow tail damsel and an emerald crab, and about 22-24 lbs of live rock and live sand.

I am thinking that the water change will reduce the kH to an acceptable level and raise the calcium.

I am planning on adding corals in the next few months when all levels are ok.

thanks.

Pirate......There is absolutely NO need to toy with your chemistry. It is 'normal' for your tank right now. Most tanks are 'off' during startup and early maturation. Step back and look at your tank. Is there anything wrong? Animals look stressed? Corals closed? (what corals, right?)

There is no reason to 'perfectize' your numbers right now. There is nothing in your tank except a crab and a fish. When your tank is filled with LPS and/or SPS and coralline is depleting your calcium, THAT is probably the time to start to knuckledown and tighten your numbers (months from now). Inverts with shells need calcium to expand their shells OVER TIME. SH

littletyger

Hi SH!

I read that it's a good idea to light your refugium on the opposite schedule from your tank's day-night schedule to keep the pH at a constant level. Is that what you do?

daaan....I DO own a skimmer but I rarely run it now. I've found that since I upgraded my lighting (with the 'discovery' of the external way to light the middle chamber), my chaeto has taken off. This has concided with a fall in nitrates that I haven't experienced since setting up my tank. I have to test it this weekend, but, my nitrates have been at '0' for 3 weeks now.

Everyone went bonkers for these mini skimmers, but, from what I can see they are mediocre at best. If I feel the need to skim, I have the AquaC Remora. I have no problems with cracking the lid to hang the skimmer and skim if need be. However, I am a 'water changer' person more that a 'skimmer' person.

littletyger...I run the fuge light 12hours, on a timer, opposite the regular lights. I have the fuge light come on one hour before lights out. SH

Another question...

I have the 2005 model of the 24g DX nano cube, the one that comes with the surface skimmer....but I always have a problem of one of my turbo snails crawling onto it, and knocking it down....its quite easy to due since the "suction" keeps it in place....

Is there any easy fix to this?

I was thinking during my next water change to dry off the back area, and "glue" it to it so it wont get knocked down everytime the snail finds it way there...

Thanks for any help!

the life aquatic

Hey SH,

I finally got some pics of my tank on here... I also added my first two corals over the last ten days. One frogspawn - which I am having a little trouble w/ (peppermint shrimp are a little too interested in it) and a small candy cane.

The tank has been running for two months now. I have live rock in the rear middle chamber and when I look into it w/ the flashlight I can see small spots of aiptasia, but there is none in the main tank. Also, the carbon that came w/ the cube is still back there. I am thinking about removing the rock and scrubbing off the aiptasia, possibly removing the carbon as well. Will this have any negative effects on the spawn, or my parameters in general? Should I use something else instead of the original carbon... maybe chemi-pure or something else?

Here's a link to the pics:

24 gal nano cube - 2 months old

sorry - gotta scroll to the bottom of that link to see the photos...

~Brianna

daaaaaan.....if you don't mind dropping a few bucks, you could check out Nanobob's surface skimmer.....that's the one I have..it's on strong magnets. I occasionally adjust my skimmer...I wouldn't glue it.

the life aquatic: I would definitely try and get rid of those aiptasia. They are anemones and they can locomote. If they get into your pumps, they will get chewed up and make more. Try not to rip them apart...if they are on rocks back there you can take the rock out and treat it with Joes' Juice or FW. If you scrub it and put it back, pieces of the aiptasia might survive. I'd ditch the carbon and switch to ChemiPure. SH

the life aquatic

SH~

thanks for the advice. I pulled the rubble out and saw some crazy looking white things growing all over it. They looked like white slugs with small bristels and there were about 20 or so, one or two were almost an inch long. Any idea what they might be? I soaked the rocks in hot FW for about an hour, and I removed most of the white slug creatures... I hope they're not harmful.

fish n' pets

I have a question. you state that sponges are good on LR, and im not saying they are bad, but when exposed to air, they decompose verrrrrrrrrry slowly. That is why sponges on LR should be removed, because they will die. You can buy sponges, and just not expose them to air.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic