SaltCritters.com

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

Wow, I would swear this is the longest thread known to man, that for the most part sticks to the intented topic. I'm sure you've heard it many many times now steelhealr, but KUDOS to you for this thread, if you can even call it that. Its just so awesome. I even skipped work today to read the whole thing.

I had the idea to retro fit an older 20 gallon tank to support a nano-reef, but after finding this thread and reading about the Nancube, it makes everything seem much easier since its an all in one solution that can support a good selection of marine life. I found a place in Vancouver that will sell and ship me a 24g DX (And they claim they are the newer ones), because none of the LPS carry them, and most have not heard of them :( ..

I am curious about one thing mainly, that you touched on a few threads ago .. How do urchins suffice in a nano-reef ? Is there nano sized urchins ?

The other thing, I was once told about using Mangrove Pod(s) in the refuge? I have not researched this, but I was told this is apparently the best thing to use. Is it compareable to chaeto ?

The urchin I have has been VERY easy to care for...but...he's gonna have to go at some point. When I got him his spines were about 2 inches long. Now they are 5-6 inches long. The body is still somewhat small, but, he has knocked over 1 or 2 corals. If you are interested in an urchin, I'd say check out a tuxedo urchin. They stay smaller. I got mine knowing there was a size issue but hoping it would control a red macro algae I have.

I read here that mangroves are not as efficient as one thinks for controlling nutrients. I retested my water tonte and...wouldn't ya know...it is STILL '0' ppm. I kid you not...for over 2 weeks now I am sitting at zero nitrates. Chaeto, hands down...that is the answer (well, I DO use Algone in my first chamber but the chaeto did it..I'm convinced on that). Thanks for the kind comments. As long as people are still doin' nano cubes, I"ll maintain the thread. SH

If i were to put a second powerhead in my 12G and wanted to put it in the first chamber which way do I point to flow of the pump?? I know this is a tuspid question but do i aim the pump down??

littletyger

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents SH.

My experience with urchins is that, no matter what kind or what size you get, you had better putty every down/together. I didn't know that when I started. I love them and I think they're fascinating, but with all those little suction cup "feet" they're like a tornado going through your tank! Wedging everything together ain't gonna do it with these guys.

They seem like very interesting little creatures. Do they create a larger bioload on your system?

Good to know about the pods vs chaeto .. And very nice to hear your system has stablized to 0 ppm .. Is there any testing kits you recommened, ie; one brand over another brand?

At one point I thought that my urchin was increasing my nitrates, but, things are in control right now. I use Aquarium Pharm...I"m happy with their test kits. I have a pH probe in chamber 2 and it correlates well with the API pH test. Salifert is the Mercedes Benz of test kits but they are pricey. I only have one of them (magnesium).

To nani.ca: if you are putting a second pump in one and not plumbing it to tubing, I'd position the intake in the direction of the grate. You may just have to play with the pump for positioning. Mine sits on the bottom and I plumbed the tubing over the wall with a duckbill outflow. SH

PirateFish52

Great thread.

I just set up a 24 gallon Nano-cube. 3 days old now.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. How can I turn the night lights (blue ones) on? I only have 1 switch which is on the remote ballast and this turns on both sets of lights.

The owners manual on the nanocube website says that I should have 2 switches, which I do not have. Manual also says tank comes with a surface skimmer, which mine did not. Have to buy one I guess.

2. How many pounds of live rock is needed. I have 11 1/2 so far.

3. Water is slightly cloudy. I added dechlor when I set up tank. Just added live rock yesterday- no cloudiness. Then when I moved the carbon bag last night- cloudy tank. Do I need to add something to clear this up or will it clear up naturally?

Thanks!!

Edited by PirateFish52
Great thread.

I just set up a 24 gallon Nano-cube. 3 days old now.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. How can I turn the night lights (blue ones) on? I only have 1 switch which is on the remote ballast and this turns on both sets of lights.

The owners manual on the nanocube website says that I should have 2 switches, which I do not have. Manual also says tank comes with a surface skimmer, which mine did not. Have to buy one I guess.

2. How many pounds of live rock is needed. I have 11 1/2 so far.

3. Water is slightly cloudy. I added dechlor when I set up tank. Just added live rock yesterday- no cloudiness. Then when I moved the carbon bag last night- cloudy tank. Do I need to add something to clear this up or will it clear up naturally?

Thanks!!

First off, welcome! Make sure you search before posting because all of these questions have been answered before.

In order to run the LED Moon lights you just need another power adapter. You can run those two LED's off a 9 or 12V DC adapter and the correct resistor. Make sure you use a resistor or you will go over the current limit for the LEDs and eventualy burn them out. Check out nanotuners.com for the power addapter if you dont already have one.

I think the avg LR per gallon is between 1-1.5 so 11 should be a good start but you may want to add more.

The water will naturally go cloudy when you shift things around in your tank. Just wait andit will settle.

If you have just started you need to let the tank go through a complete nitrogen cycle before you can start adding fish. Again use the search to find out more about how long you need to wait and what to do in the meantime.

-P

PirateFish52

I don't think my tank has "moon lights" as it appears to be an older model so I don't think using a 12 v power adapter will work.

My nanocube isn't the 2006 model I think.

it has 2 bulbs that each have 1 white and 1 blue bulb.

Is there a way that I can run the blue bulbs only?

Thanks.

I don't think my tank has "moon lights" as it appears to be an older model so I don't think using a 12 v power adapter will work.

My nanocube isn't the 2006 model I think.

it has 2 bulbs that each have 1 white and 1 blue bulb.

Is there a way that I can run the blue bulbs only?

Thanks.

The two bulbs that are white and blue both go on together you can not just turn the blue on. These bulbs are controlled by the balast.

If you have moon lights there should be a little switch on the top of your hood.

PirateFish52

Thanks.

I have not seen a switch on my tank hood. I will look again when I get home from work.

Is there a way that I can add moon lights to this?

I saw this on the web. http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotune...&products_id=97

Recommendations?

Also can anyone help me with this.

I have 3 bioballs in chamber #2 that are floating. Is this okay?

I don't know how many my setup came with and the last time I fooled around with that chamber the water became cloudy, as I moved the carbon bag.

Edited by PirateFish52

You must have a pre 2005 NC. Yikes..be careful and check the glass for defects. There are tons of DIY threads here moonlights if you search it out. You can also go to nanotuners.com...pretty sure they must have a kit for that. SH

You must have a pre 2005 NC. Yikes..be careful and check the glass for defects. There are tons of DIY threads here moonlights if you search it out. You can also go to nanotuners.com...pretty sure they must have a kit for that. SH

What's the difference of the pre 2005 NC?

My 24DC manufacturing date is Dec 05. Does it have that problem?

Hi, I have read your LONNNNNNNNNNG Thread, and first I want to say Thanks for all the info!!!

But I have 2 basic newb questions:

1.) How do you physically attach your corals to the LR?

2.) What type of food do you feed your corals? How often?

Thanks!

Dee...all new Nano Cubes come with a serial number and a surface skimmer. All prior DO have an increased risk since the glass is thin.

To Daaaaaaaan....most of my corals are attached with aquarium epoxy putty. I feed my corals 2-3X per week with alternating and varying mixtures of Cyclopeeze, baby brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and enriched brine shrimp.

Thanks for the comments. Trust me....in the beginning, I sat and read thru some LONGGGGG threads too. The best thing is that you get input from alot of people with extensive experience here. SH

PirateFish52

My friend and I checked the glass for any defects/cracks. Nothing that either of us could see. Special thanks to the LFS that just sold me an outdated Nanocube model 5 days ago.

The water is clearing up. I cleaned out the sponge and that seemed to help. Did the first water test yesterday and cycle is going along ok.

I ordered a surface skimmer, as the outdated model I have didn't come with one. That should help water quality.

Thanks for all the help so far.

littletyger

Hi PirateFish!

If you haven't already, I would take the time to read this thread from the beginning. SH's nanocube is an older model, too (well, 2005, right SH?). He discusses what he did with the bioballs or ceramic media and modifications he's made. This thread is long, but SH is very thorough in the way he explains things and you'll learn alot. Btw, you should probably have more like 25 lbs live rock for a 24 gal cube.

The best advice anyone has ever given with regard to marine tanks and nano tanks in particular is to take it SLOW. What is it you say, SH? Beauty happens slowly, disaster happens quickly?

One more quick question....

With LR in chamber 2, how is it able to "live" and cure with out light being back there? Or is just good substance for your macroalge to spread on?.....

Thanks.

The LR in chamber is predominantly for additional biologic filtration, ie, provide additional surface area for the bacteria that breakdown ammonia and then denitrify. This doesn not require light. It also can provide 'shelter' for copepods, etc.

And..thanks for your comments littletyger. SH

I plan to setup a mini reef aquarium also so I started to collect information and it happned that I saw this thread. A lot of info and I don't want to miss any page so I started reading from page 1 and I just finished up to page 30, long way to go.

However, I want to join in the discussion by asking some question that I don't read any info yet.

regarding photo period, I saw some using 12pm to 12am so that they can enjoy looking at their aquarium inhabitants during the night? What is your opinion on this? Are they not getting light during daytime in the morning although the lights are off which means the fish are awake instead of still sleeping/resting?

What is your photo period?

Please continue this thread, you're educating a lot.

I ve been reading throught this thread for a long time and I must say, you have given me a very detailed map of how to go about making my own nano.

Good work..

Thanks all. I have kept my photoperiod steady on timer at 12 hours a day. My lights come on at 9AM and go off at 9PM. I find this gives me a chance to enjoy it in the evening with both lights on and off. My corals send out sweepers at night and I feed them after lights out. The amount of ambient light in the morning is inadequate to effect coral. The early light gives the effect of how some people put on their actinics first. My sixline is up at the crack of daylight and immediately disappears after lights out. SH

Fishy-Business

Steel,

What an inspirational and educational thread! Kudos to your efforts here and those who have assisted with replies! I am new to the community and am just extactic I found this place!

I have had a few reef tanks in the past, and am now in the process of setting up a NC 6G in my home office. Do you are does anyone know what corals the stock NC6 50/50 lighting will support? Also, I am planning to leak test my NC 6 tonight and plan to start set up this coming weekend with around 8 lbs of cured liverock. I'm not sure of the substrate yet; will most likely be sand, but not "live sand".

Again, awesome job. I spent hours reading thru this entire thread today!

Thanks....hey, no problem. Just wanted to fill a void that was here when I started.

To Fishy Business...your tank is a mini version of what I have. Somewhere in this thread I listed my corals. You should be able to support zoos, mushrooms, softies and many LPS. SPS and clams are not gonna make it. You may have luck with a photosynthetic gorgonian or a monti cap. Keep a thin sand bed...not more than 2 inches, even less. Go slow and resist the urge to pop corals in there a week after cycling. The nasties may come and it's easier if no corals were there. Patience is the key to success. SH

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic