inTank Media Baskets

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

The PH will be moving to the back and opposite side so I have the two opposed. Probably angle one of them so that the streams cross ("Egon, you told us 'Don't cross the streams'") instead of being directly opposed and creating a dead zone in the middle. Now that I have diatoms, I've been planning my cleanup crew.

Hi..more than three months ago, I posted an I.D request for something I found in my chaeto in my back fuge. Here it was:

hitcher.jpg

It was ID'd the next day as aiptasia. I went back to get it and...OOPS. GONE!. Couldn't find it. Well, guess what I saw on a vacated coral skeleton on my trumpet corals this morning:

nano112.jpg

nano113.jpg

I pulled up the frag and 'amputated' that calcareous limb with the hitchhiker on it. Over six months into this and voila: aiptasia. NO ONE IS IMMUNE. I get this funny feeling that this is not the end of it. IF you look at the 1:00 o'clock position from the aiptasia on the last pic and strain your eyes, do you see something I think I see? I hope this guy was the same as the one in the back fuge. What is scary tho', is if the reason it got out was it was shot thru the pump in chamber 3, I'll have my hands full. So far, I've been visited by valonia, cyano, aiptasia. I hope hair algae is not in my tea leaves. SH

Edited by steelhealr

Hey Steel et. al. -

Get a Peppermint Shrimp to take care of that aiptasia, and quick. Saw on another thread that someone already gave you this advise. Hope you can nip it in the budd before it spreads.

Got a question.

I just received the egglite that I ordered over e-bay. I ordered a 10 watt submersible, however I received a 20 watt submersible instead. What is your oppinion / thought about the amount of heat output that this 20 watt will put out compared to the 10 watt? My tank temp stays between 77F - 79F with the heater set at the lowest setting.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Roc510

Roc.....Good question. I have my suspicions that it will affect your temp. Before I started using mine, I read somewhere that the 10watt can be used in or out of water, however, the 20 watt should be submerged. I started with my 10watt between the fans in the hood and the plastic was getting very hot. In a waterproof housing, I would think that there would be heat issues. However, I'm not sure if this has changed. Certainly 20 watts would put out more light, but, this light DOES get hot. I think the answer depends on your wallet....if it bumps your temps up too high, will it be a money loss or can you put the light outside somewhere in a water feature and get the 10? Don't laugh...that's how I got the initial idea...I had this light under the water in a small water feature I have in my backyard. My tank temps have not gone above 81.7 with two pumps, heater and the light. Are you running 2 pumps? In only one, you might be OK. SH

Steel -

I haven't installed the 10W egglite as of yet. I am still dealing with the E-bay vendor who sent me the 20W egglite in error to get them to send me the 10W to correct this problem. I haven't used the light at all yet and have documented my contact with the vendor, so that if they don't exchange it out for me, I should have grounds to be able to return it. We'll see....

However, here's another idea for the 2nd chamber refugium!!! Have you seen Bobalouy thread titled, "My 2nd Chamber Fuge Options"? Bob has recently cut out the plastic housing on the back of the cube for the entire second chamber area. Bob has a 5600K light on the outside of the tank shining through the exposed glass to illuminate the entire second chamber. This should assist by not adding any additional heat source to the inside of the cube. Bob has only run this set up for a few days and hasn't stood the test of time yet, but I'm interested to see if it works and the cheato survives after several months. What do you think of modding the 2nd chamber in this fashion? I know that you want to, "keep this thread simple," but this is a simple mod.

I've updated my signature to include how I've modded the cube thus far. What do you think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Sea Clone Protein Skimmer with the Maxi-Jet 1200 pump is on the front of the tank for now. I've had the idea of modding the back hood so that I can hang the Protein Skimmer between chambers 1 & 2. My idea is to have the Maxi-Jet in chamber 1 and have the water return from the Protein Skimmer into chamber 2. (This idea is probably a pipe dream as the hinge is the way among other obstacles. Just an idea.) :D

Hey Steel,

How often do you recharge your Purigen? The LFS people said that you should recharge it every week or so. I'm in a dorm, so that causes problems, but if it's once a month, I can afford to go out somewhere and do it.

Thanks

To ReefWreak...I don't recharge my Purigen. Seems like too much of a PITA. I read the directions and don't feel like futzing with Clorox/bleach. It is not that expensive, so, I just toss it and replace it when the color looks tan/brown. The small, prepackaged packets are a snap to just toss in. My SeaGel I purchased in the large sized jar and just refill the bag every 3 months. Algone comes in small tea bag sizes.

To Jafoca...that guy is not in yet, so, I am in blenny limbo for now[/b]

To Roc510...I cruised into Bobalouy's thread and, if what he describes is true, I think this is going to rank up with Doriftu's cassette tape skimmer as one of the most innovative DIY's for the NC cube. I posted on the thread to help him clarify what he has done since the pic is unclear. I'd give it a little run on the thread to see, but, this DOES look extremely promising. It is not a difficult DIY at all, and, if it works, I'd switch over to it. Funny thing when you think of innovation with these tanks, eg, who woulda thought of scraping off the back???

As for your sig, I would lose the sponge. JMO. And..why is your flow directed into the middle chamber vs out into the tank??

Many people have cut out a piece of the hood in the back to keep their protein skimmer up and going. Have you seen that they are coming out with a skimmer to fit in the back middle chamber? Nanotuners.com. Again, no track record yet and you'd lose the room to have a fuge. SH

Steel, I have just finished reading this thread from begining to end. Thank you for all of the information you have posted. I recently got a 12g NC and I hope one day it will look like yours. Your tank looks amazing, keep up the good work.

Thanks again

Reefer311...thanks so much for your encouragement. After six months, I still feel like a 'newb' and try not to forget the startup period. Glad I can help. Feel free to post a tank pic when you are up and running and post any questions. WTG and welcome to nano reefing. SH

Steel is quite the inspiration, right? It was far and away the most helpful piece of the reef puzzle for me when I was going through my set-up process.

Don't know that I ever properly thanked you for it, Steel. So anyway... uh, Thanks!

Whitney...don't make me blush. I feel like I am the 'padawan' now looking at YOUR tank. Give it time...I may be posting questions on YOUR thread soon the way your construction is going. SH

Hey Steel,

It's a great thing you are doing by posting all of this information. I've wanted to start a reef aquarium but have been overwhelmed by all the information available. I think your thread has sold me on a 24g nano. I like the look of the Nano Cubes and the new Aquapod. The clean lines and hidden filtering system is exactly what I want to do.

I think the fuge is going to be important, so I was wondering if the two chamber Aquapod would allow for that? If I went with the aquapod, could a fuge work in chamber 2 with the return pump below the macro?

I know no one has seen these yet, so if its impossible to form an opinion prior to seeing one then I understand if you can't answer. Worse case, I'll wait for the updated Nano Cube and hope they solved the cracking problem with the new version.

Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Hi It's gotta be..thank you for your comments. I obviously haven't seen what the new AquaPod rear chambers look like, but, if you only have two, my thoughts would be this:

1) you may be able to keep two pumps in one chamber, or one very strong one and try and make the fuge in the second (or opposite). Since the compartments would be bigger, you could possibly put more equipment in one chamber and make the other the fuge. I'm not sure I'd put the pump under the fuge....don't think the flow would work well that way. However, if one of the pumps HAD to be in the fuge area, you might be able to DIY some tubing so intake comes from outside that area. A lot of conjecture without having seen the tank.

2) If you wait for the 'new and improved' 24G, there looks to be a very easy way to make the middle chamber into a fuge...check out Bobalouy's post

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ST&f=35&t=68652

3) One advantage to the pod is that they are supposed to come out with a metal halide hood which will expand your livestock options. Not sure if it will fit a NC tho'. Something to think about. One thing is for sure...if you like the design (and I do..just not the problems), I'd wait for both to come out if you are not in a rush and see what the input here looks like. SH

Steel,

Thanks for pointing that fuge mod out to me. It's great how someone discovered something so simple yet effective.

I'm hoping to stay w/ PC lighting. I would be worried the MH upgrade would create to much heat. Has upgrading ever crossed your mind?

Having a healthy fuge is going to be a priority for me. I'm starting to think I might take a chance on a new NC. My thinking is it would be like buying the first year of a newly developed car from Ford. You never do it! Always wait for the second model year so the bugs can be worked out.

Keep up the good work. You've inspired a lot of people.

IGB

Thanks again. Sure...I think about upgrading to MH all the time. Trust me tho'..this tank keeps me plenty busy for being so small. Eventually, I'll add a larger tank and that is when I'll move up. There are plenty of gorgeous corals you can keep under PC lighting. In fact, I stumbled upon one that I would not normally have considered...fox coral. It is only a single head but it is GORGEOUS. Trust me...deciding to stick with 'moderate PC lighting' is not a wrong/bad choice. Plenty of corals out there that will survive and look wonderful. SH

Edited by steelhealr

Hey Steelhealr, it has been a very long time since I have dropped in on this amazingly informative thread.

Your tank is looking incredable and Im glad you still add to this info when you can. Since I havent been around in a while, I was wondering what ever happened to your crack problem?

Keep up the good work, and lets see some more shots.

Hey..outta..where ya been? Welcome back and I like the avatar. Excellent. The crack is still there and I worry about it. I had hoped initially that Chris was coming out with a hot acrylic and that fell thru. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my tank continues to hang in and I'm waiting to see how the AquaPod turns out and what other members think of it. I'm always keeping a 30G Oceanic in the back of my mind. Anyway, welcome back. I'd post some updated pix, but, the tank looks pretty similar to the last shots I took. I have some coral extensions....green mushrooms spreading. I have some button polyps that are trying to crowd out my green zoos...I snipped a few off tonite.

Interesting update tho'. Since my tank is now maturing, that is, my pH is now staying in the 8's more than in the 7's, I went out and added magnesium testing and the other day bought a cheap iodide/iodine test kit from Drs. F/S. Mg2+ was high normal, but, to my surprise, my iodine levels were undetectable. I'm a big promoter of not dosing and doing water changes, but, it may be time to start to supplement I+. SH

I"m posting my separate thread here for completeness to assist any other 24G starters:

As noted above, Roc510 cruised into my this thread and alerted me to a DIY posted by Bobalouy on how to create a fuge light for a Nano Cube. When I saw it, I couldn't believe how ridiculously simple it was to do and it appears that this DIY can easily end the need for re-wiring, LED lights and heat issues. I had to give it a try.

First off, let me say that this was NOT my idea; NOT my DIY. I first noted it on Bobalouy's thread. This mod has been used by trumph, diverkk and shao-lin nano. Chris at nanocustoms stated that Matt Gecko used it first. Indeed, he has a post of it dated about March '05 I believe. However, it didn't seem well documented by photos, so, I'm trying to do this up right for newcomers. Here goes, it's easy:

1) Get a razor blade and score a rectangle over the borders of the rear chamber from the back:

fuge1.jpg

2) Being careful not to cut your fingers or the wire, simply peel back the thin vinyl layer on the back of the cube's wall:

fuge2.jpg

3) Complete a square over the area. Here, you can see my chaeto which has done well under my submersible 10 watt halogen bulb:

fuge3.jpg

4) I chose to try out Bobalouy's recommendation, a small Palm Light that you can buy from Drs. Foster and Smith. I'll keep my other light going to be safe that there is no die off:

fuge4.jpg

5) The light actually clips easily onto the wires leading down from the cube's hood and adjusts easily with a goose neck:

fuge5.jpg

It appears that you can use any type of PC back there if the Palm doesn't do well for you. Well..here goes. Time to get a bigger power strip. SH

Edited by steelhealr

Hey SH, did you keep a sponge underneath the rubble? I am about to do this fuge/mod w/my 12dx and don't want to fubar my tank w/nitrates because when December comes, so does my corals. Thanks.

NOOOOOO.....no sponges. If you put a sponge UNDER the LR rubble, I think that would REALLY be asking for problems. If you are uncomfortable going sans sponge, than I'd take one of them, cut it in half or even thinner, and put it into chamber 1 just underneath the intake grate and wash it out well once a week. I don't use bioballs, beads or sponges.

SH

BTW....I found a second aiptasia....where this one, there's another. Unless the one I had in the back chamber crawled over the wall, it probably got jetted out thru the Hydor Flo. There must be more. Hmmm...time for peppermint shrimp I think. SH

Hey steel,

How is your chaeto growing with the Palm light? I'm going to do this mod as soon as I can get my hands on some chaeto.

Good luck with the aiptasia...

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic