SaltCritters.com

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

bank_vault

Buying one of those aquarium kits for AGAs and then replacing almost everything that came with the tank in a month

Zoomed Powersweep

Some bubble skimmer

Trusting an LFS to know what the best LR was

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
deacon hemp

Sea clown 100,zoomed power weep,PC lighting,and ever listening to what a lfs worker had to say.Oh and a cheap heater!

Livestock wise ive always researched my purchases since the begining but i did once buy a longspine urchin (not the worst thing) but not a smart buy.Oh edit i did buy one of those bright pink with yellow rhinophore nudi's! Poor guy.

In order:

5. Yellow goby --did extensive research. Had no idea that gobies tear apart frogspawn. Never heard that gobies tear apart frogspawn. Back to the fishstore he went.

I have heard of goby tearing open brain.ridiculous

• 1 month later...

remora pro with the upgrades...

What a rip. Very noisy

I haven't found a small skimmer I like yet. For the price of these things I can do a lot of water changes!

superparker
Newbie here, but racking up the mistakes!

Biggest mistake - 12 NC DX - not cracking, but a real pain!

2nd biggest - the matching stand - too small to hold more than just the cords.

3rd - (only because it was cheapest) the usa fission skimmer

I have a AGA 5.5 set up for QT with a coralife mini light - I'm really thinking hard of using that and ditching the NC.

I did pay $17 a lb for LR, but it is unbelievable. It's froma 9 yo display tank. This guy used to have a open house day so people could visit his tanks. He even sold videos of his reef. Everyday something new shows up! Too bad today it was an aptasia :o !

I made the same mistake on the nano fission skimmer, I actually paid for return shipping with a note saying what a piece of crapola that thing was. That company should just burn in hell!!!!!
bubblethumper

1. Fusion Skimmer - wow, I knew it was bad and bought it anyway. I didn't know it would be THAT bad

2. Too many (read: 2) blood shrimp. Damn agressive one nearly killed his partner and the cleaner shrimp.

3. Aquapod 24G - hmmm..... if I had just a TOUCH of patience, I would have gotten a 29/30gal tank (or even a 40gal breeder). I like my aquapod, but I want a "real" tank

geekreef_05

My so called 'algae crab'. He's black and stripped and freaken huge. He also thinks everything is food, which is why he lives in a sump.

Hen. Black and White Butterfly fish that seemed to think frogspawn tastes great. Most expensive lunch ever. Funny that he never touched another coral before that. After that he was sold to a local reefer.

Blue Linkia where art thou? He's alive and kicking but I only get to see him for 2 seconds each morning. No one told me starfish were nocturnal. Whats the point of a cool starfish if I never see him? Same deal applies to my Reef Lobster.

Marineland powerheads! Why are they sooo BIG? And NOISY? Im never straying from the maxijet's and seio's again.

Coralife Hang on Tank Mount 150HQI fixture. Great peice of equipiment. Too bad it comes with the noisiest and most annoying fan ever. If anyone knows how to disconnect the fan, please PM me. Screw fixtures, next time Im totally building my own canopy.

Buying LR From A LFS w/out Dipping it after a year reizing i had a 2 inch mantis in my tank that made it crash!, Anything with flatworms!

burtbollinger

1. Sallylightfoot Crab - bastard killed a sixline wrasse and some nice shrimp...no more crabs EVER.

2. Current fission protein skimmer - its in a trashcan somewhere...total POS.

2.5. Sea Clone Skimmer I had on my old FOWLR 55g. It leaked and sucked....and was NOISY.

3. Powersweep...it made a lot of noise and would randomly shoot out microbubbles.

4. Marc Weiss Coral Vital...not sure if this stuff ever did anything, but I've bought several bottles over the last 5+ years, no more tho.

5. Usless test kits...I dont think I really needed a calcium test kit...the only one I use regularly is for Alkalinity and PH.

Best purchase I've made was my first reef tank...24G 2004 Nanocube...mine's been problem free for 1.5 years, which I know has not been the case for some. I also loved my sixline wrasse when he was alive.

chrisstankevitz
a nice frag of zoo's complete with red planarian flatworms. i will NEVER forget to "dip" before adding to my tank again.

What else is supposed to be dipped besides zoos?

Thanks,

Chris

Heliofunga plate coral...

Lasted three days before turning into "chum". An absolutely exlplosive decomposition. As soon as it died, the flesh flaked off the skeleton like tuna from the can. Two 50% water changes later I've still got a cyano problem. More than 50$ lighter too...

jane of baden

Hm, worst dry goods would be... Instant Ocean! and some crap heater I bought- ten-twenty degree fluctuations, daily.

Worst livestocK? A baby urchin in a pico (returned), a super shy royal gramma (presumed dead by mystery pistol shrimp), and a lettuce nudi- had him for a good ... 2 months.. then he disappeared. AND ANY ANEMONE EVER TO ENTER MY CARE! They 'disappear'- then i found out porcelain crabs looove anemones, hence the disappearing anemones.

...and ever listening to what a lfs worker had to say.Oh and a cheap heater!

So I'm about to become an LFS Employee, only on weekends...I'm about to be the darkside...muhahaha!

"You can fit at least 3 Yellow Tangs in a 24dx!"

flower pot coral, thanks LFS for telling me that was a good begginner coral! Poor thing died in 3 months, it never had a chance. since then my torch, frogspawn and hammer are all doing great(as far as i could tell!)

jane of baden
So I'm about to become an LFS Employee, only on weekends...I'm about to be the darkside...muhahaha!

"You can fit at least 3 Yellow Tangs in a 24dx!"

YOUVE JOINED OUR DARK LEGION!!!

RayWhisperer
AND ANY ANEMONE EVER TO ENTER MY CARE! They 'disappear'- then i found out porcelain crabs looove anemones, hence the disappearing anemones.

Porcelain crabs host in anemones. They were not the cause of your disappearing anemone.

My dumbest purchase was my original reef setup. Back in the 80's we only had N.O. flourescent lights(only rich people could afford VHO's and such). The tank was a 40B with a wet/dry, 6 bulbs N.O. flourescent(24 & 36 watters), 2 power heads(I don't remember what kind), lots of LR, A FLAME SCALLOP(Yeah, I had one), a school of blue damsels, and a coral banded shrimp. The tank lasted for 5 years with ONLY TOPOFFS, well I should say a damsel lasted for that long. The other stuff didn't last long at all. -_-

Forgot I had some hawaian feather dusters and some shrooms... The dusters lasted awhile, the shrooms didn't.

jane of baden
Porcelain crabs host in anemones. They were not the cause of your disappearing anemone.

well now I feel stupid... and now im back to square one.

Nah, ill just blame the shrimp, I caught him eating my flower anemone.

flower pot coral, thanks LFS for telling me that was a good begginner coral! Poor thing died in 3 months, it never had a chance. since then my torch, frogspawn and hammer are all doing great(as far as i could tell!)

Yeah I bought a flower pot too...about 2 months now without problems....<crosses fingers>

Sea_Of_Treachery

had my first 10g 4 years ago, i set it all up with fake corals, and dried rock and tap water lol, added a damesl then it died. then a few weeks i had 4 damsels together, damn that was crazy lol, i started to figure out the hobby a little more, i took all the damsels out and added a clown, took the fake corals out and added a bunch of live one, also a scooter blenny lol. my very first WC, i did it in the same day, i syphoned a few gallons out, added tap water, then i mixed the salt in the tank!!!!!! hahaha lol wow what a dumbass everything died

* Rare earth algae cleaning magnet - scratched my glass tank to hell. Works well for sticking books to the fridge though.

* Cleanup crew for a puffer tank (snack food)

The Propagator

A prizm skimmer, a seaclone skimmer, a cpr back pack, the worst one ever to hit the market......THE FISSION NANO SKIMMER! JUNK!

Paid 69.99 for a bucket of salt.

Plus brand bulbs, flower anemones, goniopora ( flower pot)

SPotted hawk, Sand sifting star fish ( those big arse brwon and tan guys they pawn off to you at Jacks and Aquarium adventures)

And Yes I admit, before I reasearched anything I once paid $5 for a big arse majano anemone! ( around 15 years ago!! )

My list is endless and is still growing.

Discovering what an LFS realy pays for thier coral versus what you pay them will make you sick!!

haaaaaaah it sure will

hmm i bought a yuma that was half dead.

and

a ten galon tru vu that hasnt seen a drop of water.

Archived