ReefCleaners.org

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

I have a feeling in my case they just accidentally put a 6500 bulb in the 20k packaging, but their customer support was by far the worst I've ever dealt with. I've never felt so blown off in my entire life. I emailed him twice a week asking if he had shipped my replacement bulb, and after 3 months of getting the same answers, "we're waiting on a shipment to come in," or "the bulb will be shipped out by the end of the week" I finally just gave up, I was REALLY disappointed with them.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appears that "Skilter" and "Powersweep" are taking a marginal lead by the end of the first period, "Coralvue" is making a hard charge from the outside rail however. LOL

bought a tank, live rock(uncured) and sand the first day, few hours later, dropped in a mandarin goby... double DOH, died within a few hours and I called and yelled at the lfs saying that the fish I bought was dead within an hour... lol

On impulse I purchased two additional established, stocked nano-tanks, because I couldn't resist a bargin and I'm totally hooked on this hobby :rolleyes: I only have time to be obsessed with one tank. I broke down my 5.5g and moved it's contents into one of the impulse purchased ones. Now it's my "main" tank. The other one remains a lowly FOWLR with minimal maintainence until I think of something way-super-happy-cool to do with it :D

worst hardware purchases.... a seaclone skimmer or the 12G nano-cube.

worst livestock... the *#@& nudis that hitchiked in on some pink zoos and proceeded to turn a few colonies into a buffet line. I think they are gone...

i have issues with buying frags, i always do and end up wishing i would just sack up and spend the money for a full colony of something

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

for me?

a sand bed

any rio powerhead when i first started

an acro i didn't check too carefully for the bugs

a sand bed huh? and I thought I was rockin in the 70's with a water bed....

the dumbest purchase i've ever done is buying the tank...lol...so hooked into this hobby that i ahve to start a reef savings account..:)

livestock: lettuce nudi (gone after 1wk) + any and all hermits (these are true devils of the reef-tank, can't resist meaty foods and mine NEVER eat algae)

equip: red sea prizm deluxe protein skimmer

No big equipment mess-ups yet but I once bought a catalina goby before I knew they were cold-water species. *sigh* They are so darn pretty.

Originally posted by cornstar

Why dont you like the prizm uchiha? I was thinking of getting one.

don't waste your money... they're good for nothing except for some weak water circulation. the skimmate it pulls is nothing short from "tank water" unless you spend a good 5-10 minutes playing with the settings to make it work. at times i've had it work flawlessly, and pulling out good skimmate, but it doesn't last too long. give it 1-2 weeks and a water change and for whatever reason it'll get moody and start to overfill the collection cup with tank water. it is VERY hard to calibrate to work efficiently unless you do some mods to the device

also, if u have the surface skimmer device, it's really a pain to adjust all the time. the red sea prizm protien skimmer is something i would NOT recommend. you're better off saving up a few more bucks and getting something like the Aqua C Remora, it'll save you the headache ... trust me :happy:

i would have to say my ex-rio 180 POS 9000.

livestock wise i have only made the mistake i made was getting to attached to my blenny.

*dramaticly facing skyward in rain* DAMN YOU RIO!!!!

A frag of zoos. came complete with the lovely red planarian flat worms. what a great bargain. i will "never" forget to dip my zoo's in lugols again.

Angel Higuera

Siphon hose w/o priming pump.... I was sucking on it one day right when my cell phone rang and distracted me and I got a mouth full of crappy-nitrate filled water!

-Angel

why the 'no love' for rio pumps?? if you TAKE CARE of any of them, they'll last for quite some time. just clean them thoroughly with hot water and srcub the impeller and the impeller housing and they work like magic. any time i've had one mess up all i had to do was clean it.

I hate rios, but i agree w/ yoshiod9... :( My rio was killing my fuge, cleaned it out, good as new (so still a POS) ;) Hahahaha! :P My worst purchase ever...

SEACLONE 100!!! Damn it to hell!

hmmmmm....i think the worst purchase i've made is this damn neon dottyback. he killed my six spot sleeper goby within the 2nd week he was in the tank. i thought, maybe my goby was just old...so i put another one in...dead within a day. followed that process three more times before i decided to stop trying to put a goby back into my 12. i wish i hadn't bought that guy. what cracks me up is that he was totally docile for sooo long then right before the goby died the dottyback was chasing him around and nipping his fins. bastard.

Archived