Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colt corals are worse. 10x the slime, 10x the calamari-like squishiness. Ick.

That POS float switch that crashed my tank.

A mag 3. So much heat for a tiny pump.

Some swing arm hydrometer that's lost somewhere.

Best purchase: A $5 condy from petco. Got it healthy then traded it at an LFS for a $25 cleaner shrimp (much more fun to play with).

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say mine would be a buying a jawfish when i didn't have a lid for my tank. Jumped out the night i got it. Poor little guy :mellow:

Thankyou all for this advice I havent made a dumb buy yet besides salt because my LFS sells it pre mixed and with buffer already to go for about as cheap with out the pain in the but mixing. (I only got a 50g mix bag though) I am only a month into this tank though. Its the first tank I acually own myself

I gigantic hermit (neon knuckled hermit) that ate all my snails, i know its not that bad, but my tank got so much algae from the snails, the prosphate levels have never been the same!

• 4 weeks later...

A rock covered in beautiful Feather Caulerpa sertulariodes. "Oh it will look so good in my display and it will take away all my evil nitrates :slap:

Newbie here, but racking up the mistakes!

Biggest mistake - 12 NC DX - not cracking, but a real pain!

2nd biggest - the matching stand - too small to hold more than just the cords.

3rd - (only because it was cheapest) the usa fission skimmer

I have a AGA 5.5 set up for QT with a coralife mini light - I'm really thinking hard of using that and ditching the NC.

I did pay $17 a lb for LR, but it is unbelievable. It's froma 9 yo display tank. This guy used to have a open house day so people could visit his tanks. He even sold videos of his reef. Everyday something new shows up! Too bad today it was an aptasia :o !

My only really dumb purchase (so far) is the LFS sold me a non-returnable 100W Penn-Plax heater for $25 (you can get it for $6 or $7, and IMO it's junk) I bought a better one within three days because I didn't trust it. The moral of that story is fool me once, and I'll never spend another dime in your store.

Anna :)

noobs....dont buy powersweeps....

livestock: i was at aquatics and exotics in cincinnati when i first started, the owner was tearing down a large tank that had a hair algae problem.....sigh....he was THROWING AWAY a pipe organ and a large colony of pink tip frogspawn. i told him i would buy it if he gave me a good price....20$ for both....man that was an expensive 20$... took em home, scrubbed em with toothbrushes, soaked the skeletons in hot water....they were shining! flash forward two months, what do ya know, looks like my front lawn in the freakin spring...dont be a hero, its good to be a coward....also, prizm skimmers suck.

• 2 months later...
Juzam Djinn, 5/5 Flyer for BBBB from Arabian Nights.

(played in a World Championships or two..)

Cheers,

Fred

not true , Juzam Djinn is a 5/5 that makes you 1 point of damage during your unkeep . It cost BB and two colorless mana . I had 4 of those, but just for collection because its WAY over rated. If you want to learn to play T1 magic, visit www.themanadrain.com btw I am retired now , since a couple of years. But I was a good t1 player :)

Now , worst thing I ever bought was a Royal Gramma , ( Royal Drama Is how I call them now ) .

It tried to kill my lysmattas tearing some parts of them , and also attacking my Turbo Snails.

Sold it .

:D

ezcompany

my favorite card was Ball Lightning, hands down. coupled with a giant growth BOOM 9/4 TRAMPLE GG

but yea...cyclopeeze wafers suck

The Keeper

I got a few:

1) Those floaty type hydrometers. I had been cycling my first nano, using that to tell the SG, when I checked it with a refrac. what was supposed to be 1.025 was 1.018 what garbage.

2) A Jawfish w/o a lid in a tiny Pico...The first two days he buried my favorite ricordias and various other corals under 6" of sand, and then the 3rd day he jumped out.

3) A welch I took from the beach, looked just like a nassarius snail. Ended up eating the other nass snails. lol

4) Sea Urchin - Bulldozer for a reef tank... walked out of the tank the first night, walked back in somehow 3 days later. Then proceeded to knock over all my rocks, crushing snails, and destroying corals

5) Cauliflower Coral - I think aka carnation coral. Was lied to about its care. Died in a week in my pico. I was told it was a soft coral, turned out to be SPS.

There's more but I cant think of them right now.

In order:

1. Saltwater tank --hubris from having a freshwater planted tank with pristene water conditions led me to believe that salwater would not be that much more of a learning curve. I was wrong.

2. Camel shrimp --bought, then did research, then back to the petstore he went. Fortunately he was part of my initial cleaning crew before I had corals.

3. Coral banded shrimp --did inadequate research, and back to the petstore he went.

4. Peppermint shrimp --did some research, missed the part of how they eat featherdusters, and now currently resides in a neighbor's tank that doesn't have featherdusters.

5. Yellow goby --did extensive research. Had no idea that gobies tear apart frogspawn. Never heard that gobies tear apart frogspawn. Back to the fishstore he went.

6. Sick frogspawn --hubris of not having anything die in my tank in 4 months led me to believe that a sick frogspawn from a LFS's polluted tank could recover in my tank. I'm still doing water changes.

And somewhere between 4 and 5, though hopefully this doesn't make the list:

Caudiflower coral. I did inadequate research, and the guy at the store said it was easy to care for (he also told me that it was a chilli coral). I guess I'm lucky so far because this thing has grown about an inch in the last two months.

I'm still too much of a newb to know what equiment mistakes I've made.

Archived