ReefCleaners.org

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

Equipment:

-5 gallon wallmart tank w/ hood (no offence but I should of saved for the 30 cube or the 55g)

-a wierd hagen fuval nockoff skimmer

-3 lbs of LR that I paid $32 for!

-a mistaken $13 FW amonia test kit

-a crazy chromis (The biggest one bit the fin dorsal/tail and left pectoral off the baby one so I gave the big one away)

-dead argo sand

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why is everyone bad mouthing zoo med power sweeps???

if you pull off the powersweep part and remove all the gears it works great!! :haha:

mine...orchid dottyback for 30 bucks, i should have just got a damsel if i wanted an a-hole in my tank.....

Fission nano money sucker

Tube anemoney which the LFS told me was a Large featherduster. Almost killed my Colt Coral (lucky to sell it to a fellow reefer for a profit of $5)

Mandarin fish (again LFS recomendation) he is still alive and fat after I taught him how to eat frozen food.

PBTA, sand anemone, and a bunch of stuff that died over the last summer.

mybuickskill6979

okay equiptment: a pennplax HOB heater. it doesn't hold true at all. one disturbance of it can throw the adjustment off.

and some jungle anti internal parasite fizz tabs. they don't work!!

i also have a rio800 for my turtle sump( yes a sump for my turtle tank) no problems with it. it runs dry sometimes and i'e had for about 8 months with no problem. no cleaning no nothing. it runs dry cause the syphon breaks end the one hose.. :lol:

i think i just bought "painted live rock",

when i say painted live rock, i mean a piece of rock that looks like generic type fiji rock, but w/ purple paint on it..........

that and i payed way too much for it too....must have charged me for water too

the LFS here has a pretty decent collection of 30- 60 gal tanks they keep their live stock in.....but they do not run any lights cept maybe regular home depot lights

which is fine i assumed b/c they are just holding tanks right??

well i get home, i toss the rock in, and it just doesnt look right under my actintic to me.....even the shape of the coraline was off...

all the coraline ive ever had grew in kind of a tree ring type pattern...., this just looked blotched...

i was so upset at this, that i did the only thing that i could think of... i TASTE TESTED IT!!!

ewwwwwwwwww......yeah i know i know.......but i dont have a chemistry set to use.....

real coraline has the consistancy of egg shell when crushed between your teeth...

this was more grainy...

i paint, so i know what paint taste like.... coraline doesnt really have a taste....

but im still not sure!! they could have used a ceramic pottery glaze, which i assume would hold better under marine conditions, also giving it a more glassy texture....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! im POd! bad!!!!!

not only did they rip me off on how many pounds i got, but its fake too??!!???

only other test i could think of is boiling part of a rock and seeing if it bleaches....

if it turns white, then im just being paranoid.......and will feel real stupid for eating some.....

F all LR labled fiji or whatever for me for now on, unless i get it from a reputable source...im sticking to straight aquaculture rock for now on.....

My LFS sells this stuff on its website. MAde by CaribSea. It does look kinda dumb, but meant for FO tanks. Works as base rock.

What did you pay for it?

[Look Alive Reef Rock

00340.jpg

Why wait? Look Alive Reef Rocks are already in living color! We begin with actual pieces

of real coral rock, then we add pink and green coralline algae highlights for that “reef tank look.” The breathable coating allows the eventual overgrowth of live corals and coralline algaes as well as providing tremendous surface area for beneficial bacteria. Great for marine fish display tanks!

*Must Be Cured Before Use*

40 lb. box $77.50

My LFS sells this stuff on its website. MAde by CaribSea. It does look kinda dumb, but meant for FO tanks. Works as base rock.

What did you pay for it?

[Look Alive Reef Rock

00340.jpg

Why wait? Look Alive Reef Rocks are already in living color! We begin with actual pieces

of real coral rock, then we add pink and green coralline algae highlights for that “reef tank look.” The breathable coating allows the eventual overgrowth of live corals and coralline algaes as well as providing tremendous surface area for beneficial bacteria. Great for marine fish display tanks!

*Must Be Cured Before Use*

40 lb. box $77.50

she was charging 6.50 a pound...i got 2, roughly 1lb rocks.......so thats 13 american right.....wrong, she charged me 20......its going back tomorrow

stupid peppermint shrimp! Ate half of my little feather dusters!! Had to tear down my ENTIRE rockscape to dig them out. Couldn't get the rocks back the way they were and lost a large tubeworm and a xenia in the process. I hate pep shrimp!!

stupid peppermint shrimp! Ate half of my little feather dusters!! Had to tear down my ENTIRE rockscape to dig them out. Couldn't get the rocks back the way they were and lost a large tubeworm and a xenia in the process. I hate pep shrimp!!

pep shrimp are food in my book.... any hungry mantis out there?

i think i just bought "painted live rock",

when i say painted live rock, i mean a piece of rock that looks like generic type fiji rock, but w/ purple paint on it..........

that and i payed way too much for it too....must have charged me for water too

the LFS here has a pretty decent collection of 30- 60 gal tanks they keep their live stock in.....but they do not run any lights cept maybe regular home depot lights

which is fine i assumed b/c they are just holding tanks right??

well i get home, i toss the rock in, and it just doesnt look right under my actintic to me.....even the shape of the coraline was off...

all the coraline ive ever had grew in kind of a tree ring type pattern...., this just looked blotched...

i was so upset at this, that i did the only thing that i could think of... i TASTE TESTED IT!!!

ewwwwwwwwww......yeah i know i know.......but i dont have a chemistry set to use.....

real coraline has the consistancy of egg shell when crushed between your teeth...

this was more grainy...

i paint, so i know what paint taste like.... coraline doesnt really have a taste....

but im still not sure!! they could have used a ceramic pottery glaze, which i assume would hold better under marine conditions, also giving it a more glassy texture....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! im POd! bad!!!!!

not only did they rip me off on how many pounds i got, but its fake too??!!???

only other test i could think of is boiling part of a rock and seeing if it bleaches....

if it turns white, then im just being paranoid.......and will feel real stupid for eating some.....

F all LR labled fiji or whatever for me for now on, unless i get it from a reputable source...im sticking to straight aquaculture rock for now on.....

So you bought fake live rock thinking it was real live rock and was sold to you under the assumption that it was real live rock and not only that but they overcharged you? LOL! You fell for the ultimate LFS scam!

Deleted User 7
Why does everyone hate powersweeps? I like mine... it doesnt stick at all, but I clean it every week just as I would any other powerhead.

I agree, I've made some bad buys in my day but my zoomed powersweep is probably one of my BEST buys! I hardly even clean the thing and it works great! I also have no troubles with heat that cant be handled. Have never had to use a chiller of any type.

should have bought a used 55g to replace my 75 planted instead of starting a 10g nano.

I love nanos but the used stuff around here is soooo cheap and the planted tank is just never touched anymore.

EL CHUPACABRA
Why does everyone hate powersweeps? I like mine... it doesnt stick at all, but I clean it every week just as I would any other powerhead.

I guess it because a lot of us don't clean our powerheads every other week, I cleaned the one on my 4g ------------------- Hmm I guess I never cleaned it, I never cleaned it because I never needed to that is probably why...

• 3 weeks later...

I think the CPR overflow does it for me. What a piece of junk. I had my tank overflow a couple of times. I used 2 of their pumps and both eventually died. The worst part is that I still have it somewhere in the garage...as if I was going to use it again. And a SeaClown.

When I was a little kid (that's like a few years, anyway) I got 15 pounds of gravel for a 2.5 gallon betta tank. Also, I payed 75 cents for hermits shells (each!!) thank gosh i only got a few, knew the price was crabby.

Anybody like maxi-jets? I love em!!! They pump and pump and can be put and configured in tons of ways!

I had pretty good luck with sea clone skimmers. In a sump. I had the plumbing come apart on an old one that was HOB before the sump-- back when they were made without locking parts. I lost about 2 gallons of water on the floor before I got around the tank and could hook it back together. The thing worked pretty good though, I never had the microbubble problem that others are complaining about.

Other equipment-- Fission Nano Skimmer- talk about a POS. The guy that designed that should be shot. Well, maybe not shot, but I wish I could at least get my money back.

All those damn trace element bottles. What a waste. Where was B*Ionic supplements 8 years ago?

Livestock-- Oh there's so many--

Two ocellaris clowns from the same tank. Similar sized, so they never paired off and all they did was fight. Then one died. Then the other died. Never did figure that out.

Flame Angelfish/Christmas Wrasse-- yeah they don't eat coral, and neither picked at my clam's mantle. But what the LFS didn't tell me is that they'll pick around the coral, and at the base of the clam looking for stuff to eat. Then after the coral is so ###ed that it never opens, it'll die. You might as well buy a big angel that will actually eat the stuff-- that way it can't rot in your tank.

Mandarin fish. Didn't know they only eat live food and need 100 gallon tank. This was in the days before researching fish online was a viable way of getting info.

Dottybacks (purple, bicolor, diadem). These are only good community fish with triggers and groupers. Ooops.

Sleeper Goby. Didn't realize those need a DSB and a big tank or else they starve. Sort of like mandarins in the sense that they don't really like flake food type stuff.

Thanks to this forum, I made no bad purchases for my tank. I'm glad I did a lot of research before jumping in. I'm sure i'll make a dumb purchase in the future though.

Archived