Pod Your Reef

Dumbest purchase I made for my tank was

RandyO

FishFreak77

serpant star- ate my pygmy angle.

yellow watchman gobies- almost never come out(I still like them though).

lionfish- he was weird and then died(?)

no dry goods yet

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me started on the money I spent on MTG. Holy crap, that is about as much as a money pit for me is saltwater is.

:)

Although, I have always been able to get my money back out of my collections.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

No no-no's as of yet, I am good about doing my research first. Maybe crappy tests and that Instant Ocean hydro.

One Eyed Bunny

I think my best "worst" buy was my 24 Gal. NCDX.

Enough said.

Blue & Black, Discard & Damage decks pwn faces.

er1c_the_reefer

don't have any regrets about my tank. dumbest mistake was getting into the hobby. the money i've spent on it, i probably could've bought myself a honda civic.

scarf_ace1981

$200 worth of sps frags. not only wasn't i ready for sps(equipment wise) but i had a nitrate problem. almost all bleached. the ones that still had some color i gave to a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY here it goes.

In tank berlin skimmer

Sea clone 100

Prizm skimmer

Huge foxface

Sea urchin that ate all my corals

Instant ocean sea salt- SUCKSS!!!

Any and all crabs

LARGE hermit crab that managed to eat 3 feather dusters

Jawfish without have a lid

Gonopori without doing any reaserch ( but iv had it for 6-7months now:))

Buying ###### flourcent lighting , 28Watts for 29 gallons

Upgrading to PC!(I finally got the right lights after 3 tries)

Fluval in tank filter

Returned all rio products I bought

Feather starfish(fell apart in 2 days)

STUPID DAMSELS!

• 2 weeks later...
djchristone

IO salt dissolves well for me o.O

stupidest purchase? hm...65 dollars for 4 stalks of xenia shipped (died) when people here are giving them away for free -_-

reefkidsclownfish

ok, i got a few, they are all small, but they add up, i bought a heater that doesn't work, and lost the damn resiet (AHHHHH, well, there went 15 bucks) i bought this filter, that SAID it could work for a SW tank, but really doesn't, i got another filter, just because i needed it for my other tank, and all my fish died in that one (so i was like, what the hell? oh, and does oqcaclear work for saltwater tanks?) so there went 20 freakin bucks, i bought this stupid cleaner for the tank, and found out i didn't need it, then i got a lid for the tank, and found out that my cat is to fat to get up to the tank anyways, the end

IO salt dissolves well for me o.O

stupidest purchase? hm...65 dollars for 4 stalks of xenia shipped (died) when people here are giving them away for free -_-

who is giving them away for free? SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME!

Fission skimmer.

And a SHY clownfish! He and my yellow watchman hide in the back of the tank. They've carved a hole in the sand and nest together. Even with food, I can't bribe them to come out. They just let the current bring the food to them and laugh at me.

It's a JBJ DX 12 so I'm pooched on buying other fish. I think I have the world's first "reef only" tank with fish.

Tank itself..... Ever since i bought my first tank, I have been sucked in to this reef addiction. Everytime I get some extra cash, do i think about getting present for wife? kids? no way! I can only think about words such as, "bubble king", "red dragon", "Vortech", "1000W"......

Stupid me!

Equipment:

1. My 384watt current orbit PC lamp. Ended up changing it after 1 year.

2. Hydor flo wavemakers, they got stuck all the time or cast away, and then broke.

Organisms:

1. A pair of ocellaris clown that hadn't even come out of the shipping bag, they died after a week because they were captured with arsenic.

2. rainfordi gobie - rarely came out, and then was never seen again.

3. Lawnmover blenny - at first it was fun to watch, then it rarely came out, then it died after the brown algae was gone.

4. Firefish - carpet surfing and died

5. seastars- bought a linckiia, it came pretty much dead. Then bought a very healthy echinaster sp but placed it in a small container to start the drip method, and her arms broke because the container was to small, stupid me!, then died after 3 days. I read they were easy, but then got to know that they are as hard as linckiia and nobody really know what they eat for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoever started this thread (too lazy to look back 10 pages) - freaking brilliant.

Fine.

I'll regret my purchased of a Zoomed Power weep as recent as today.

My sixline enjoyed jumping into the overflow, down the durso when I tried to get him, and enjoyed becoming mush in my skimmer. Nice, nice, nice.

Bluespot jawfish without a lid. Freaking brilliant.

SPS before prime time and water maturity. Fruck.

Ever notice copperbands go for feather dusters when they're finished with Aptasia?

Mandarins - love mine which eats Rod's food. Unfortunately, I've tried two more that supposedly ate frozen - mysis...yeah, right.

Those darn freaking domino damsels!!!!!!

I'll stop before I weep. :)

I'd have to say my L/R. I have a 12g AP and it picked out some BAD rock for mine. Not the quality of it, but rather the type and shape... I picked out a large branch piece and thought I scored big by getting it, I wish I had known then that it would bite me in the butt later on when I run out of coral placement options. :(

In the pic below, you can see the branch piece I speak of. Ultimately the day after puting it in the tank, I turned it on it's side to be a little more visually pleasing. Bad since there's no real ledges to place anything on. Branch is my book is bad bad bad inless it's a SMALL piece.

pod1.jpg

An anemone shrimp that was bigger than my RBTA. All it did was irritate the RBTA to the point where it won't even extend it's tentacles. shrimp is currently in my fuge. That's more of a timing issue.

Probably going to agree with Phixion soon about branching LR. I totally have no room to put corals. Gonna try epoxy/super gel corals to the LR.

¿¿SALTWATER??

Boy im sure happy I found this thread 4 days AFTER I bought all my stuff. And set up my tank...Apparently 90% of the stuff I own is considered crap... allow me to list...

IO Reef Salt

IO hydrometer

Prizm skimmer

Rio PH

LFS LR

I think the only reason im not completely freaking out is all of it is in a Oceanic 33g...that was $33.

But im still bummed.

jenn_jeffery
Boy im sure happy I found this thread 4 days AFTER I bought all my stuff. And set up my tank...Apparently 90% of the stuff I own is considered crap... allow me to list...

IO Reef Salt

IO hydrometer

Prizm skimmer

Rio PH

LFS LR

I think the only reason im not completely freaking out is all of it is in a Oceanic 33g...that was $33.

But im still bummed.

The IO is ok salt, get a real hydrometer (www.drsfostersmith.com has some cheapish ones) The prism is crap (sorry!!) the Rio's are *ok* they tend to short out and shock people over time. LFS LR is a toss up. We have a good LFS here, with great rock, you may be ok in that respect.

DementedLullaby

I've only made one exceptionally bad purchase and that was a long tentacle plate coral. I read that plate corals are very easy to keep but didn't realize the LT was so difficult. I saw a beautiful one and on sale to boot so I bought it. Needless to say it died on me and I was sad.

I have a beautiful short tentacle orange one now that is doing great.

I bought a visi-jet skimmer on the LFSs recommendation... then, to make it worse I cut 3 1/2 inches off so it would fit inside my 10 gallon nano... now I use the powerhead to mix my salt.

Also ordered a MH light from aquatraders... almost burned my house down when the ballast melted the plastic on the wires.

Also, I had a yellow watchmen goby that was so small he swam into the overflow (through the holes in the fish guard) and lived at the bottom of the syphon tube for 5 weeks... I couldn't get him out, but I could still feed him.

My serpent star doesn't eat anything, but it scares the living &*$% out of me when it touches my hand unexpectedly (since I'm constantly putting my hand in my tank to flip my snails over when they fall on their backs)

Bought a peppermint shrimp to eat aptasia and all it did was eat my green star polyps... then it got eaten by my new watchmen goby (who is considerably larger that the first).

And the dumbest thing I've ever done (it wasn't a bad purchase) was forget that I left my RO/DI unit running and it overflowed my water container and flooded my basement... it ran all weekend while I was out of the house! I estimate it produced about 160 gallons of water over 2 1/2 days!

• 2 months later...
Billabong_Fish
Discovering what an LFS realy pays for thier coral versus what you pay them will make you sick!!

lol so now i know why their tanks are so briliantly full of corals..

Archived