Top Shelf Aquatics

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naperville Reef

just got mine today. purchased at LFS for $220 plus i got a 10% CMAS discount

showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10777

having trouble posting picture. it is in my gallery if you want to see it

brassmonkey

man mheiden i think that tank will thank you in the long run, i was quickly reminded that the glass needs to be uv protected and heat shelded, freebee cut please, hey look no lights complete without nite lights.

It is a 12 gallon Eclipse bowfront tank. I would like to do much larger higher resolution pictures, but this board really limits the image size. I don't have anywhere else to host a picture....

I haven't noticed much difference in coral growth yet, but then again my SPS's growth is only noticable when you compare pictures from the past to the present tank. I do think that things are growing faster but it is hard to tell becuase I see the tank every day.

The casing of the light is metal, and rest of the light, including the clip is plastic. Very sturdy though.....

Naperville Reef

the casing is metal, the base and "arm" are plastic. i was surprised how light the whole thing is. very sturdy as well.

That is awsome. Thanks everyone for the great amount of info provided. That is one nice set up. I love how your live rock is cover with coraline. I wish mine was like that.

First Nano

Hi Guys

Since my bulb arrived with a hole in the back, i was wondering if you think I can still run it? I fired it up and it ran fine...I am just thinking it will eventually cause harm or it might leak out the gas so that eventually it wont work....I sold my via aqua hood so I need to get it to the buyer...but I have to make sure this damn hood works before I do that...also thinking about just getting a 4.25in x 8inch tempered glass piece to replace the stupid metal grill they have on here...I realize this might cause some heat issues, but you wont know until you try ;-)

Anyways, if anyone knowledgeable in lighting , can let me know if this small hole in my 150w DE bulb is a reason for concern or not, can give me an answer as to whether I should run it or not, I would appreciate it... the hold is on the edge of the bulb close to where it connects to the right socket

Naperville Reef

not sure about the hole in your bulb. but re: the grill.... why bother replacing it? when the fixture is mounted you can not see it and you very well may end up with heat issues. seems like you would be taking some unnecessary risks that offer no potential benefits.

I vote for not. Your new bulb should be here in a day or two.

Those bulbs run hot and would it be worth picking 1000 small pieces of glass out of your sand when (not if) that bulbs explodes?

I'd say it's not worth the risk.

I'm getting a Coralife bulb for a spare. I've never seen the XM bulb but it's about 50% more expensive. How different could it be?

how did you guys cut that piece thatplastic piece the wire goes through....it is pretty damn hard plastic, and from previous pic, I cannot tell where the cut is made, or with what.. can you pleast let me know?

thanks

G

brassmonkey

plus less light leaking in my eyes for those close viewing times, for the slider cuting along the side seems not to weaken it, why would i need a differnt or a another bulb? this one hasn't broke in yet. hehe

I just bought the light today and noticed that the fan is not running. I just turned the thing on 5 minutes ago so it may take time, but for those who own it, does the fan run from the point of start-up? Does it only go on and off when needed?

I think my unit might be bad. At start up there was a smokey smell that went away. I actually saw a small puff of white smoke. So I thought that maybe the smoke was from the bulb firing the first time (I have seen this happen one or twice). Anyway, the fan has not turned on in over 10 mins and the unit is very very hot to the touch. I need to know if other peoples units get hot and does the fan run all the time or is it temp controlled.

I am so bummed.

call their warranty dept out here in carson california.. these guys have had some probs with these lights...still not a great product yet...several probs as you guys can see...I'd say hold off on buying these for now...but I'll make the most with mine for now...

Archived