SaltCritters.com

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone post a pic of the ballast. Is it remote or mounted on

hood....

I wonder if they have a patent on this.... lol...

I would sure like to manufacture a small 70w version with one of the aromat mini ballast built in the hood...

LampDr. Did you get my e-mail, my father said he could try to work something out with you. His Phone # is in the e-mail.

The ballast is very remote. The cord that goes to the light from the ballast is very long. There is a quick disconnect about a foot from the ballast itself.

The ballast is about 9.5 inches tall and 4 X 4 inches square. It weighs about 10 lbs.

almost all my questions answered

still though:

Also I noticed there was an option for either the coralife bulb or a XDE bulb. What is the diff? Is it worth 5 more bucks?

One more thing, is the fan on it adequate

it appears hellolights has them the cheapest, anyone seen them cheaper anywhere else?

HelloLights recommended the XDE bulb, but that was when they were the same price. Shortly after I ordered the unit the price when up to a $5 upgrade for those bulbs. I am not a bulb expert at all, so I can't help you here. I am waiting to put a new 15000K bulb (XDE??) in once HelloLights calls me to let me know they are in stock.

The fan seems OK. It is quiet and doesn't move much air, but my tank usually doesn't raise up more than 1.5-2 degrees over the 9 hr period.

Go with HelloLights. You can't beat their prices, shipping speed, and customer service. They are the best.

Hi guys

So I just got mine...and wouldnt you know it... the glass cover came broken...there was also a bolt that came off from that reflector bracket that connects to both of the HQI sockets via screw and bolt...one side is bolted, the other one bolt came off. I also hear rattling at top of tank when I slowly invert it one way then to the other...almost like a loose screw or nut...

Last, is this HQI glass good to protect from UV? I was thinking of getting rid of this ugly grill and instead of a replacement for the glass that comes with it, go to local glass store and get a piece cut out for me, wouldnt that be better? I almost feel like this grill prevents some of the light from seeping through?

Ideas, suggestions??

thanks

G

almost any basic window glass will screen out harmful UV radiation. The process of light passing thru the glass changes/a;ters theyb wavelength of UV radiation makeing it harmelss or eliminating it. I am not sure hwo it works for plexiglass. But for glass you are good to go.

Gmoney,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The grill is like egg crate. It is used to direct light without reducing it.

I too was thinking thining about using a piece of glass to replace the grill but wondered if that would effect ventilation. The more I think about it, the more I want to keep it open.

Either way I hope you get it worked out.

aquaman...thanks...i am sure ventilation will be less...that is why i probably would need tempered...i want to see what it looks like with and without the metal crate....might scrap it and go with tempered glass if its not too hot in the hood....this thing is a great idea, but definitely needs a little help on the design and shipping... i mean, I just found out my bulb has a hole in it too, but it still fires up....so they are trying to get me a new bulb and a new glass protector...these two items should be shipped in a box with some sort of protection, instead of already mounted ....i think they are realizing this ...the guy told me they have had 3 of them break on them recently.

When I got mine the glass half-tube had come loose and was banging around inside the enclosure. Maybe they will start shipping it seperately so things won't break or get scratched.

I took out four of the grill on each side leaving two in the middle--so it is now four in, four out, two in, four out, four in as you go across it. It does allow more light to the sides of the tank. Also, by leaving in the ones that I did, they would prevent the glass half-tube from dropping into the tank if it came loose.

The only glass I have on mine is the one that came to cover the bulb. I assume that is doing all the UV reducing that I need. The grid is a very strange part of this lamp and it does reduce light to the sides.

i was thinking of upgrading my lighting for my nanocube DX. i'm in college so money is tight and going metal halide isn't something that i can screw up on. i like the nanocustomshoods and i know htey are great but running wiht my stock hood now i get 84F in temperatures and that's scaring me. THen i saw this light and i was thinking of going hoodliess and just putting this on my nanocube. what do you guys think? mh or go with a nanocustoms hood? either way i want more light

I am hoping that someone will post a whole tank shot with the mh. I am intersted in how this looks on a full tank. If anyone can, please post one. Thank you in advance.

Here is a tank shot with the 20000K bulb. I am looking forward to getting the 15000K bulb over the tank for a little less blue...

That looks good to me. I like the blue tint. The 20 K bulb was one of the reasons I chose this light over the Coralife 150 pendant.

mheiden - have you noticed a significant difference in coral growth with the switch to metal halide? i'm about to make the switch myself..

Archived