Pod Your Reef

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with the 20 K bulb? I like the blue tint. Keeps you from having to run actinics.

I saw a tank at my reef club meeting running three 400 watt 20 K s and it looked sweet!

they come oem w/ 20k to purposefully eliminate the need for actinics-b/c coralife is targeting nano reefers who dont have space for supplemental lighting.

nice setup, may not work well with bak paks? i guess perfect for a cube. i'm not loosing my hood. let us no how sturdy they are ha ha sale 239 not too shabie..

Whoever is getting this unit soon, if you could post a quick review with some pics, that would be great...thinking of getting it myself.

G

I just got one and I like it. I did get it with the 20000K bulb, but I have spoken with HelloLights and I am going to have a 15000 bulb coming soon. Supposedly one will be in stock soon. I will try to answer questions you have on the unit. I will also try to post some pictures soon.

The mounting bracket is about 6 inches across and the actual lamp enclosure is about 10.5 inches across. It is a metal ventilation screen across the lamp that I customized by removing some of the metal pieces. I felt like it blocked some of the light from the side of the tank.

I have this light on my 12 gal Eclipse bowfront tank. It seems to be working very well. The little fan is pretty weak and I have noticed that my water has gone from 79.5 degrees to almost 81 degrees. Because the arm is almost too long, I have the light pointed down and backwards towards the back of the tank. This does give me some light splashing behind the tank. There is also some light that spills from the sides, but I think this is common with MH.

The 20000K bulb is probably a bit blue for my taste, so I am really excited about the new 15000 HQI bulb that HelloLights has told me about. The 10000K would have also been a possibility.

When I first got the light it had a noise coming from the fixture. It turned out that a wire was rubbing agaist the fan and making the sound. I just pulled the wire away from the fan and that solved it.

Any other questions--let me know. Also, I can take pictures of a certain angle if anyone needs one. I am limited on how big I can post the pictures, so if you want a bigger one, email me.

i think its stupid because what if those screws break when your not around?

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

reef and hundreds in coral gone.

True, but the same applies to everything else. What if the hanging light falls into the tank? What if water leaks and shorts out and causes a fire? What if your dog knocks over your tank? There are always bad things that could happen.

I was worried about the same thing. The light is very secure and there are three screws holding it. Also, if it did fall, it would actually tip forward and the front edge would simply land on the tank. I don't think it would actually drop in becuse the front of my tank is below the front edge of the light. But, like anything else, it could happen....

It would be nice if it could lower straight down, instead of at that angle. Other than that, it looks like a nice unit.

Bob

I agree. If my tank were wider (from back to front) then it could lower straight down. The arm is adjustable and can extend further out, but I have it as short as it can go. I actually sort of like it that way, with it tilted backwards. It makes for glare-free front viewing.

I don't know why Coralife made it to extend so far out--most of the people who would buy this light have smaller tanks that aren't more than 10 inches wide from front to back. My tank is almost 12 inches wide (front to back) at the widest part.

dont know when it will come in..but lookin forward to it..

Too blue? I would let it burn in for a couple of weeks before I would say that.....after 2 weeks, it should become better...but if it stays too blue, going to 14 or 15k is probably a good idea.

As for it falling off....sounds like they have enough security features for it not to....if it does...well heck, can you say LAWSUIT!

Well, i will try to post pics when I get it as well..

G

Archived